Battery Powered GRS Manning Wardle Exe

maxi-model

UK/US/ROW steam narrow gauge railways 1:1
27 Oct 2009
Bucks/Oxon/Northants area
Best answers
Country flag
A short while ago I posted pictures of my GRS Manning Wardle "Exe". I mentioned that I was intending to convert it from track to battery power. It was asked that I post the results of this little project. Well, it has now been done. It trust I have loaded this all up correctly as I am still a bit of a newbie around here.

A quick rundown - All bits and plenty of hand holding supplied by the ever patient Brian Jones.

I used an existing Spektrum DX6i transmitter. So naturally the receiver is of the same make and is velcro mounted onto a card fitted to the inside of the boiler top. This comes with its required binding plug to link it to the host transmitter. Incidentally, the orange light from the activated receiver gives the added bonus of the apparent glow from below the firebox when running at dusk.

Next two custom made "Strikalight" 6 x AA rechargeable battery packs (12 AA's in total) neatly stowed in the side water tanks with yet more velcro fastening, to limit movement fore and aft, at the front of the tanks.

Then a Mac 5 speed controller that is snugly stowed at the side below one of the coal bunkers. This is connected to the rudder output of the receiver. I'll come to why later, there is a little added fun to this project.

On the opposite side the all important safety cut out fuse, to protect the Mac 5 controller. This is attached to the inside of the bunker side with .... you guessed it, more velcro.

After a little bit of gentle drilling - mounted into the right side of the loco body's baseplate are the charging socket, main on/of/charging switch and on/off switch for the Seuthe smoke unit. Note - the loco's motor is attached to the speed controller not the loco's track pickup board. The smoke unit is still track powered though to minimise drain on the batteries.

Conected it all up, using the wiring diagram supplied by Brian. Switched it on after initial charging of batteries and bound the receiver to the transmitter. Screwed the loco body and baseplate back together and onto the chassis. Switched on the transmitter and pulled on the joystick (the transmitter's !). All worked perfectly first time and still does. Can't stop running it !

Now the added fun bit. The DX6i transmitter used is allready bound to the receiver installed in my Accucraft Lyn live steamer. It operates the reverser only on this loco (totaly practical and controlable) which is routed via that receiver's aileron socket. Now I can double head with these two locos on a single common joystick working in a diagonal plane. Well that's the theory, now I am off to test it.
5896eb2e58f44d709295a317b92f2b92.jpg
e7c7315ae2e5406dbbd7e7bd8e21e96b.jpg
481da7aca18f400297a687ff80c632ae.jpg
5c25dda5ebec4aff860efb391ea29915.jpg

Bram

Playing trains, Ballroom Dancing, Good Food & Wine
24 Oct 2009
Knowle
Best answers
Country flag
Excellently done sir, what a cracking loco

maxi-model

27 Oct 2009
Best answers
Country flag
I'm not sure. I ran once, on a fresh charge for a continuous 2.5 hours and it was still going strong. It was pulling a rake of 3 full length L&B coaches on a railway with a 1 in 30 gradient for 1/2 its length. I was told anything up to 4 hours was possible, depending on load.

PaulRhB

This Way Up
24 Oct 2009
Wilts Drifting toward the RhB,plate tectonics rock
Best answers
Country flag
Hmmm wondering if it may last a full day at a show though. I think if I could power up something like the ESU sounds and guarantee enough charge for a whole show, (including the time it was stopped of courxe), I might consider battery running for steam locos because it is so adaptable. I'd prefer something phone sized that would give me all the functions on the sound decoder too of course which is where it all falls apart at present. With Brian Jones and Tony W (plus smaller controls) offering good rc options and dcc offering good sound but I haven't seen one that hits all the things I want yet though.

maxi-model

27 Oct 2009
Best answers
Country flag
Just a little thought on running a battery loco at a show. The Mac 5 speed controler has a neat trick - if you shut off the transmitter it will maintain the last speed input it was set at. restart the transmitter and the loco should come to a stop. No need to keep your hand on the controls for long periods, just like a track powered loco. Mind you, make sure it is using the correct stick for input, on mine it is left stick in what I understand to be a "mode 1" transmitter setup. Apparently if linked to one of the chanels operated by the right stick in this instance the motor can be thrown into full reverse if signal contact is lost and then re-established !

thecsmann

Registered
30 Dec 2009
Crawley, west sussex
www.freewebs.com
Best answers
very nice that is a loco on my to do list but must finsh the kits i already have.