Battery conversions and LEDs

CoggesRailway

Registered
25 Oct 2009
Best answers
Hi All,

Please humour me. I HAVE searched and read the relevant threads on the forum and I am afraid I need even simpler guidance. For example I don't understand the symbols in the circuit diagrams or (I am embarrassed to say) the accompanying maths etc.

So far my battery conversions have been to wire a G Scale Graphics speed controller to a battery and directly to the motor. This works fine. But I lose the lights.

How, very simply, can I have a similar set up AND lights? What is the reason for the resistors and what do they do? Can I buy a circuit built with a super bright LED. I bought some super bright 12v LED at Maplin and there is nothing bright about them at 12v!

So If someone wants to attempt a very basic, assume no knowledge explanation I would be very grateful.

Ian

Rhinochugger

Retired Oik
27 Oct 2009
North West Norfolk
Best answers
Country flag
I used 3v LED with resistors - but they're yellow LEDs so not very bright.

Having used a very simple set up, I can only think that by using the 3v LEDs in this way, they happily light up whatever current is going through the controller to the battery.

I also used the simple method of wiring two LEDs in parallel with their tails reversed so that they were automatically directional.

Battery pack was 7.2v and is now 12v - 2300 mAh
Speed controller is Cambrian (couldn't get the IP one to work)
Motor was 3 pole IP Engineering but is now 5 pole Bachmann from an early battery powered big hauler (plastic wheels)

None of these changes to the equipment have affected the lights - nor did the loco's leap from the highest point of the elevated track to a paving slab affect the LEDs or their operation :rofl:

See if you can PM Neil Robinson - he's the circuit guru :D

Del Tapparo

Registered
24 Nov 2009
Windsor, Colorado, USA
www.gscalegraphics.net
Best answers
Country flag
Hi Ian - Which G-Scale Graphics controller do you have? I would be glad to help you.

The Enhanced Critter Control does have directional lighting outputs. It even has a current source to drive LEDs so don't have to use a resistor.

If you have the Basic Critter Control, or the Simple Critter Control, there are two easy ways to power your lighting circuits: 1: Connect the controls motor output to the lighting circuitry, just like it was with the track power. The lights will then dim when motor speed is low or stopped, but they will still function just like they did on track power. 2: Connect the lights to the switched battery power. Whenever you turn on your battery power, the lights are on at a constant brightness. If you are using incandescent lamps, they must be of the proper voltage (12V lights used with a12-14V battery for example). If you are using LEDs, each LED must have a resistor in series with it to limit the current. Usually a 1K (1000 ohm) resistor will do the job.

Feel free to reply here or contact me directly. http://1stclass.mylargescale.com/DelTapparo/gscalegraphics_1_004.htm < Link To Contact info

nicebutdim

Registered
14 Dec 2009
Sunny Surrey (Ha)
Best answers
Country flag
I've used one of these http://1stclass.mylargescale.com/DelTapparo/gscalegraphics_1_019.htm < Link To http://1stclass.mylargesc...calegraphics_1_019.htm wired to a small relay that switches the leds for the direction. This then works so that the leds are permanently lit for the direction that the locomotive will be heading even when stationary.

whatlep

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Worcestershire
www.facebook.com
Best answers
Ian - the easiest way to use LEDs for lights is to get them from eBay pre-wired with the correct resistor for the voltage you will be using. That's not necessarily the same as the battery voltage, since you may not be running at (say) 12 volts all the time. For example, the battery locos of mine which you've seen are normally running at around 6-9 volts. Have a play with your loco and check using a voltmeter what maximum voltage is being drawn from the battery. Obviously if you use the method suggested in an earlier post of having the lights manually controlled through a switch then you can go with the battery voltage.

Armed with that info, search on eBay for "prewired LED <voltage> <colour>". For example "prewired LED 12 white". There are umpteen for sale at any given time.

CoggesRailway

Registered
25 Oct 2009
Best answers
Thanks chaps

CoggesRailway

Registered
25 Oct 2009
Best answers
OK another question. I have spotted a promising super bright white pre wired 12v LED pack on ebay as per Peter's suggestion. The trains I am thinking of have 14.4v batteries that overcharge to about 16v . If I manually attached these direct to the battery with a switch will this fry them - or is the purpose of the resistor to protect the LED?

Gizzy

A gentleman, a scholar, and a railway modeller....
26 Oct 2009
Cambridgeshire
www.gscalecentral.net
Best answers
Country flag
CoggesRailway said:
OK another question. I have spotted a promising super bright white pre wired 12v LED pack on ebay as per Peter's suggestion. The trains I am thinking of have 14.4v batteries that overcharge to about 16v . If I manually attached these direct to the battery with a switch will this fry them - or is the purpose of the resistor to protect the LED?
The resistor limits the current flow through the LED. You should find that these run okay from your 14.4 V battery, as the motor (load) will reduce this somewhat.

A single LED uses 0.6 Volts in the forward conducting direction, producing light. Your pack may be made of more than one led, so may drop more volts. Without the technical details, it is difficult to say.

If connected the wrong way around, it won't work, as it works like a one way valve, so swap your connections around if there is no light emitted. If the LED doesn't work either way, then you've blown it....

Rhinochugger

Retired Oik
27 Oct 2009
North West Norfolk
Best answers
Country flag
I have at last found the circuit diagram that I made for the blue and yellow low flying diesel.

This is not a traditional circuit diagram, it is drawn so that I could solder the circuit onto PC board. Every green line is a line of copper strip on the PC board. Where a wire is soldered to the PC board, ti dips towards it at 45 degrees.

It may not help - but it worked for me :confused:

It was the original circuit and does not show a fuse - should be close to the battery on the +ve side.

f8117444928f47b0b9ed2b5c69b35671.jpg

whatlep

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Worcestershire
www.facebook.com
Best answers
CoggesRailway said:

On 14.4 volts, a 12volt prewired LED should be OK. There is some tolerance in the resistor amounts as it's not an exact science. On 16 volts it depends on how long the battery stays that high for and how tolerant the LED is of excess voltage. Chances are you'll get away with it. Try with one LEd first. If it fries, you'll know to either add mroe resistance or keep the lights off until the voltage drops a bit. Simples! :D

Rhinochugger

Retired Oik
27 Oct 2009
North West Norfolk
Best answers
Country flag
Ian, a quick thought.

LEDs are never as bright as bulbs. When they are described as bright white, that's referring to the colour, not the brilliance (as in candle power or lux). A few years ago you could not get a white LED, that's why the ones on my blue and yellow disesl are yellow - that's as good as you could get for reasonable money.

Where LEDs are used to replace bulbs and give equivalent brilliance, they are used in clusters.

So, if you're looking for a loco headlight that will cast a beam of light down the track, use a bulb. If you want a headlight that will tell you where your loco is in the dark, an LED will be fine :D:D

My track powered locos have bulbs, so far the only battery powered one has LEDs, not sure what is going to happen with the santa special that's due to arrive :cool:

Doug

Live Steam, scratch building
24 Oct 2009
West Herts
Best answers
Country flag
LEDs can be brighter than bulbs, it depends on which one you use. You need to look at the light output on the data sheets - look for Lux, Lumens or Candela as a measure of light output.

Just bought a torch with one LED chip - its brighter than car headlamps :clap:

CoggesRailway

Registered
25 Oct 2009
Best answers
I definately want a light to shine down the track! Thanks so much everyone who has contributed to this thread.

Neil Robinson

Registered
24 Oct 2009
N W Leicestershire
Best answers
Country flag
Doug said:
LEDs can be brighter than bulbs, it depends on which one you use. You need to look at the light output on the data sheets - look for Lux, Lumens or Candela as a measure of light output.

Just bought a torch with one LED chip - its brighter than car headlamps :clap:
Whilst examining the data sheets take note of the viewing angle. Narrow angle ones often have high light outputs but are only effective over a narrow range. Great for bright headlights but for coach interior lighting wider angle, lower light output ones are often better.

Madman

Registered
25 Oct 2009
Pennsylvania, USA
Best answers
Country flag
Rhinochugger said:
Ian, a quick thought.

LEDs are never as bright as bulbs. When they are described as bright white, that's referring to the colour, not the brilliance (as in candle power or lux). A few years ago you could not get a white LED, that's why the ones on my blue and yellow disesl are yellow - that's as good as you could get for reasonable money.

Where LEDs are used to replace bulbs and give equivalent brilliance, they are used in clusters.

So, if you're looking for a loco headlight that will cast a beam of light down the track, use a bulb. If you want a headlight that will tell you where your loco is in the dark, an LED will be fine :D:D

My track powered locos have bulbs, so far the only battery powered one has LEDs, not sure what is going to happen with the santa special that's due to arrive :cool:

I respectfully beg to disagree with you. Take a look at this video. I converted one of my 2090 diesels to white LEDs. And while you may reply with a, you're looking at them head on, believe me, in the dark they definitely cast a beam of light down the track.

http://youtu.be/gRosjkSRxHs

CoggesRailway

Registered
25 Oct 2009
Best answers
Yes Dan I agree - indeed I have LED mini torch with one LED which is fully functional as a torch. I think the bulbs being brighter has been the case for many years but things have changed.... By the way I like your little yellow critter with smoke and sound!

Rhinochugger

Retired Oik
27 Oct 2009
North West Norfolk
Best answers
Country flag
Madman said:
Rhinochugger said:
Ian, a quick thought.

I respectfully beg to disagree with you. Take a look at this video. I converted one of my 2090 diesels to white LEDs. And while you may reply with a, you're looking at them head on, believe me, in the dark they definitely cast a beam of light down the track.

Technology moves on apace - faster than me :rolleyes::rolleyes:

Gizzy

A gentleman, a scholar, and a railway modeller....
26 Oct 2009
Cambridgeshire
www.gscalecentral.net
Best answers
Country flag
Madman said:
Take a look at this video. I converted one of my 2090 diesels to white LEDs. And while you may reply with a, you're looking at them head on, believe me, in the dark they definitely cast a beam of light down the track.

What sound card is that Dan please?

Madman

Registered
25 Oct 2009
Pennsylvania, USA
Best answers
Country flag
Rhinochugger said:
Madman said:
Rhinochugger said:
Ian, a quick thought.

Technology moves on apace - faster than me :rolleyes::rolleyes:

Don't feel alone. I still use a flip style, cellullar telephone :yawn::yawn:

whatlep

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Worcestershire
www.facebook.com
Best answers
Madman said:
Don't feel alone. I still use a flip style, cellullar telephone :yawn::yawn:

Why can't I find one of those with a dial? :D