Bashing a toy farmhouse

Mik

Steam tractors, good books, scratchbuilding models
17 Dec 2009
The wilds of Western Pennsylvania
www.the-ashpit.com
Best answers
We've all seen it. That plastic farmhouse with the wrap porch on ebay for $25 plus shipping. Says it's "1/32 or 1/24" suitable for 'G', and if you're like me you kind of wondered if it really was.... both suitable and worth the asking price. Well, I can now give you the skinny on that, and more. The house is made by made by New Ray, for their "Country Life" series, and part of set # 37545.... which includes a LOT more than just the house, at a list price of $26.95.... IF you can find someplace that carries it. (You might try Agway, or your local Farm & Fleet type place)

Now, to the second part. Is it actually usable? The dimensions give are 6-1/2 x 9-1/2 'at the base'.... but that is just a bit misleading because it includes the porch on two sides. The actual size of the main part of the house is 4-1/4" x 7"..... that's a whopping 11' 4" x 18' 8" in 1/32!!!! -- or 8' 6" x 14' in 1/24.... Okay, so basically we now know that it's pretty much a 2 story shed, with a wraparound porch. The doors are 2-15/16" tall. OK for 1/32 or 1/29, but just a little short for 1/24 or larger. Wide enough, but short. Those are the facts, only YOU can determine whether you are willing to fudge with a rubber ruler enough to use it on your layout.

On to the rest of my review... The thing comes in white with a grey roof and brown trim. The plastic is a LOT thinner than a Piko or Pola kit-- Thin enough that the whole house will glow if you try to light it without painting first.The doors are molded in and do not open. The windows are molded in as well, and without 'glass'. The roof is hinged on one side, so there is a noticeable gap at the peak, and the reinforcing rib on the underside doesn't let it close squarely. Also, one of the thin steel hinge pins on the one I have didn't want to stay put. Not that it mattered to me, but it isn't very good QC on a something that's supposed to be a toy for use by children. Here's a couple pics of the thing as it arrived.
P6140002_01.jpg

P6140003_01.jpg

Okay, enough bashing and on to the bashing.... 17 small screws (about #1?), and some molded in tabs are all that hold the house together. You'll need a tiny Phillips to get them out. It's also MUCH easier to remove the base first, then the roof--- especially if you have fat hands like me. Once it was all apart, I could begin painting. As primer, and to try to cut down on the light transmission, I painted everything a darkish grey first. Then a second and third coat of pale yellow with green trim. I wanted to use Sage, but couldn't find it in my paint box, so I settled for Pullman Green.
P6160001.jpg

Then I used some clear acetate to make 'glass' for the windows, painted the porch floor Nutmeg brown, and the ceiling white.... just your basic quick repaint. I was undecided about the lighting. I've been using those $3 solar things from Mal-Wart, but they are rather large. If I were to enlarge a window to fit the solar panel, as I did with my Piko buildings, it would have taken half the wall.... So, I decided to cut a hole in the roof instead. It will be on the back side away from the viewers and may or may not receive enough light. We're going to hope for the best. Farmers tend to go to bed early anyway. I covered the gap in the peak with electrical tape inside and out. If it comes loose, I'll probably putty it shut
P6160002.jpg

I sorta wanted a porch swing, but there really wasn't enough room for one. So I settled for the Lemax teens sharing a Coke on a bench that Kim gave me for Christmas 2 years ago.
P6160001_01.jpg

Almost done...I need to find/make a chimney yet. Tomorrow it goes outside at Giant Gnome farm.
P6160006.jpg

P6160004.jpg

Thanks for reading

Mik

17 Dec 2009
www.the-ashpit.com
Best answers
New Ray Farmhouse Mark II - Aunt Audra's Boarding House....

Same basic shack, just moved the addition to the end. The shutters are made from popsicle sticks. I felt I needed something across the street from the station, and this happens to fit perfectly....
P7100001_01.jpg

P7100002_01.jpg

Mik

17 Dec 2009
www.the-ashpit.com
Best answers
Try putting a small mesh bag of mothballs in each building every spring. Cuts down on wasp and spider infestations.... Chipmunks and mice don't like them much either. Ants don't seem to care, tho.