Ballenburg Query what is this for?

steve parberry

G Scale Trains
25 Oct 2009
Nottingham
Best answers
Zerogee said:
That's a great deal if they're small enough, Steve - are they the very tiny ones? The ones I use have just a 100mm long "strap" that is only about 2mm wide, very neat and tiny for fine wiring - many of those designed for heavier work (mains cables etc) are much bulkier.

As always with pound type shops its luck of the draw as to what they have, but yes i have had many of the the tiny cable tie. dont pull them too tight as they will break as they are a cheaper plastic but for wiring looms in locos :clap::clap:

Zerogee

Clencher's Bogleman
25 Oct 2009
North Essex
Best answers
Country flag
Excellent, Steve - next time I'm in town I will have to find a baseball cap, spray myself with Chav Repellant and venture inside Poundland..... ;)

KeithT

Hillwalking, chickens and - err - garden railways.
24 Oct 2009
Nr Manchester
Best answers
Country flag
Zerogee said:
KeithT said:
The problem is that I don't have any reprogramming facility or means of checking the CVs.

As many others have suggested in previous threads, Keith, I'd strongly recommend buying a SPROG - possibly the best £50 you'll ever spend (on your trains, anyway...)!

Jon.
£50? I thought that they cost an arm and a leg!
I have identified that the lights flash when I press 5 (steam chest On /Off and 6 (sound On/Off) and it is set to 14 speed steps.
In fact Philsaint has offered to check it with his Massoth sysetem (In reality I think he has evil intentions on my Ballenburg. Ooh- Err Missus!:-
EDIT Just a thought, I am using MTS3, I can't recall if it happened with the MTS 2. I will try it tomorrow.

Zerogee

Clencher's Bogleman
25 Oct 2009
North Essex
Best answers
Country flag
KeithT said:
Zerogee said:
KeithT said:
The problem is that I don't have any reprogramming facility or means of checking the CVs.

As many others have suggested in previous threads, Keith, I'd strongly recommend buying a SPROG - possibly the best £50 you'll ever spend (on your trains, anyway...)!

Jon.
£50? I thought that they cost an arm and a leg!

Nope, you don't need to sell limbs to afford one - definitely £50 (still same price as I paid for mine a couple of years ago), including USB cable, the only extra is £11 for a power supply if you haven't already got something suitable:

http://www.sprog-dcc.co.uk/shop.htm...ware for them is free to download. Jon.

dunnyrail

DOGS, Garden Railways, Steam Trains, Jive Dancing,
Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
St.Neots Cambridgeshire UK
Best answers
Country flag
Zerogee, take the point about cable ties, however I prefer my wire option as it is easier to take off if I need to get into the wiring again. I am one of those that thinks if it can go wrong it will in the future and cable ties are such a pain to unravel. I use old Telephone Bell Wire which has just the one strand in and keeps it's position quite well. I feel that this is about the only use for this kind of wire in spite of the fact that in the past I used to use it for all my layout wiring. I got wise later.
JonD

Zerogee

Clencher's Bogleman
25 Oct 2009
North Essex
Best answers
Country flag
If the wire-wrap works for you, Jon, that's great - I take your point about easy removeability! To be honest, I've never bothered to try to "open" a cable tie - I just snip it off with a pair of fine cutters and then put a new one on when I've finished. I only mentioned them because I've just quite recently discovered the very tiny ones - before that I used to make do with wrapping wire bundles in insulating tape, which is even more of a pain when you want to get it off to fiddle with something! :D

Jon (the other Jon).