DafyddElvy

1:22.5 & 15mm Scale Trams, , NG Steam Railways
10 Feb 2021
West Lothian
Country
Scotland
Best answers
Country flag
With all the ideas etc floating around in my skull, I thought I would share a couple here, I openly and unashamedly admit not all the ideas are mine, some have come from other peoples projects which I either think are good ideas or variations there of. It would be interesting to see what others have done to convert their Bachman trams.

Douglas Head Marine Drive Tramway is the first post, rather unique this was the Isle of Man's only standard gauge track system on the island, also unique the stairs at both ends led up to the same side of the upper deck, for a third point of uniqueness, they had the trolley poles mounted to one side of the tram.

An ideal conversion project for a Bachman tram, not to a scale model but as a representation of the prototype.

5062586887_d9519a7929_b.jpg

dunnyrail

DOGS, Garden Railways, Steam Trains, Jive Dancing,
Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
St.Neots Cambridgeshire UK
Best answers
Country flag
With all the ideas etc floating around in my skull, I thought I would share a couple here, I openly and unashamedly admit not all the ideas are mine, some have come from other peoples projects which I either think are good ideas or variations there of. It would be interesting to see what others have done to convert their Bachman trams.

Douglas Head Marine Drive Tramway is the first post, rather unique this was the Isle of Man's only standard gauge track system on the island, also unique the stairs at both ends led up to the same side of the upper deck, for a third point of uniqueness, they had the trolley poles mounted to one side of the tram.

An ideal conversion project for a Bachman tram, not to a scale model but as a representation of the prototype.

View attachment 300448
Well you could convert the gauge to G3 (63.5) to make it right.

DafyddElvy

10 Feb 2021
West Lothian
Country
Scotland
Best answers
Country flag
Well you could convert the gauge to G3 (63.5) to make it right.
Don't do that to me, my mind wanders enough with out anyone else's encouragement to deviate.
You're a bad man putting 63.5mm gauge back in my head

DafyddElvy

10 Feb 2021
West Lothian
Country
Scotland
Best answers
Country flag
Another possibility is the Denver South Platte River tram.

Two Bachmann open tram bodies and a wee front/rear platform extension, and hey viola another representation conversion, and this time a bogie vehicle.

Attachments

• FELtKnYUcAAotAd.jpeg.jpg
    FELtKnYUcAAotAd.jpeg.jpg
    843.8 KB · Views: 0

DafyddElvy

10 Feb 2021
West Lothian
Country
Scotland
Best answers
Country flag
One that someone else has already done, a Cairo tram and the person doing the conversion has even produced a stage by stage photographic record of how it was done.

Attachments

• 288782954_10224541470857558_1268796379548486145_n.jpg
    288782954_10224541470857558_1268796379548486145_n.jpg
    26.5 KB · Views: 0

DafyddElvy

10 Feb 2021
West Lothian
Country
Scotland
Best answers
Country flag
Another one someone here has already done, Bachmann tram conversion to a Duncan and Fraser single truck tram of the type which ran on all four Victorian tram networks.

Possibly rather than calling this one a conversion I would think of this model as an adaptation of parts from a Bachmann tram, a very nice model indeed.

Melbournesparks

Registered
30 Sep 2015
City of Eltham
Best answers
Country flag
Another one someone here has already done, Bachmann tram conversion to a Duncan and Fraser single truck tram of the type which ran on all four Victorian tram networks.

Possibly rather than calling this one a conversion I would think of this model as an adaptation of parts from a Bachmann tram, a very nice model indeed.

It did end up being a bit more involved than originally planned. A fun variation of this type of tram could be the original California combination form too.

IMG_9691crop.jpg

DafyddElvy

10 Feb 2021
West Lothian
Country
Scotland
Best answers
Country flag
It did end up being a bit more involved than originally planned. A fun variation of this type of tram could be the original California combination form too.

View attachment 301476
That's a nice looking tram, have to say it looks a little end heavy for a 4 wheel tram.
The end throw on corners must be quite something.

A nice model using parts from an open and enclosed tram to build this one, with some parts left over.

Last edited:

DafyddElvy

10 Feb 2021
West Lothian
Country
Scotland
Best answers
Country flag
Before flying off to see trams in Porto, sorry take my wife on a birthday trip to Porto, I started work on converting a cross bench tram to represent a cross bench tram based on one from Sintra.
After removing the centre seat and turn the other two seat units around it has increased the wheel base slightly which I hadn't expected.

While at the Porto tram museum I spotted a replica cross bench tram which i think it would be rude not to try and model having seen it in the flesh ;-)

Attachments

• 20221012_225335.jpg
    20221012_225335.jpg
    335.8 KB · Views: 0

Mohawk Valley

Registered
11 Feb 2023
Coventry UK
Best answers
Country flag

View attachment 300448

Mohawk Valley

Registered
11 Feb 2023
Coventry UK
Best answers
Country flag
Hi David,

I‘ve just spotted this post…still finding my way around. Trams on Guernsey had the trolley pole on the sides of the body as well…it may be an insular thing…

Cheers

Martin

DickyC

(BZB Mountain Railway)
26 Jul 2017
Rural Shropshire
Best answers
Country flag
This is my LGB Hamburg tram conversion if it counts ? My first ever bash and still a project started but not finished
52D764B5-6C1E-4119-8D8F-191FB94775E7.jpeg
26CDE050-EAFE-4D5D-A8E0-5B83B080865C.jpeg

Reactions: 1 user

Mohawk Valley

Registered
11 Feb 2023
Coventry UK
Best answers
Country flag
Very nice, the decals are superb. Where did they come from?

DickyC

(BZB Mountain Railway)
26 Jul 2017
Rural Shropshire
Best answers
Country flag
Very nice, the decals are superb. Where did they come from?

Im a printer by trade, large scale promotional fabrics to be exact so have a a printer that can print and cut vinyls too. It’s sealed with a gloss varnish.

Mohawk Valley

Registered
11 Feb 2023
Coventry UK
Best answers
Country flag
Im a printer by trade, large scale promotional fabrics to be exact so have a a printer that can print and cut vinyls too. It’s sealed with a gloss varnish.
Wow, they must be thin as I can’t see where the edges are. I presume they are self adhesive? I make my own water slide transfers, but although the print quality is great, getting the right amount of sealant on the transfer paper is very hit and miss, plus the fact I have to cut a circle out which is not very easy. If I use a circular cutter, it leaves a small but very noticeable mark in the centre of the transfer.

Attachments

• IMG_7324.jpeg
    IMG_7324.jpeg
    472 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_7436.jpeg
    IMG_7436.jpeg
    464 KB · Views: 0

tramwayknowledge

Tramway Modelling
22 Oct 2011
Fife
Best answers
Country flag
Hi David,

I‘ve just spotted this post…still finding my way around. Trams on Guernsey had the trolley pole on the sides of the body as well…it may be an insular thing…

Cheers

Martin

A number of early electric tramways used side running trolleys. This had a number of advantages at the time; first it allowed the trolley stand to run down the outside of the car and be attached to the steel underframe of the car, this relieved the weight from the roof of the car and forestalled 'roof sag' and 'banana-ing' of the car body.

The side running trolley enabled the overhead wire to be moved to the near side of the car and holding it up by short bracket arms from the traction columns. The side running trolley was used as part of the 'clear sky system' with the wires close to the kerbs (and trees of any where planted) and the centre of the road still clear to the sky. The American system with span wires across the whole width of the carriageway had been heavily criticised on aesthetic grounds when it was installed on the Roundhay line in Leeds.

The South Staffordshire Tramway used side running wire, but they combined it with swivel-head trolleys so that the trolley head could be further from the tram track centre line. This provided a much neater rig, but it did mean that trolley switches had to be put into the wire at turnouts etc.

A number of tramways that ran alongside sea walls etc., such as the Guernsey line and Douglas Head line used side running trolleys and single sided cars to simplify maintenance.

Hope this helps