Annie01.JPG

Annie03.JPG

Need to start thinking about paint.
More pics as I get further along.

C&S

Registered
3 Nov 2009
Best answers
I'd not seen a picture of one of these before. There's a decent light railway coach in there, trying to get out. Are you going to fill in the "eye" windows, and what's that box on the other end?

Miamigo259

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Best answers
Country flag
They certainly look like a very useful vehicle to "kitbash".

It looks like you could make a 6 compartment bogie coach out of three bodies if you were so inclined..........

As a matter of interest, what is the length of the coach body, and what height are the passenger doors???

vsmith

G Scale indoors, O Tinplate, Micro Layouts
24 Oct 2009
Sunny So Cal
Best answers
Country flag
Miamigo259 said:

It looks like you could make a 6 compartment bogie coach out of three bodies if you were so inclined..........

As a matter of interest, what is the length of the coach body, and what height are the passenger doors???

took me awhile to get back to this project, measurements:

Body L=33cm (13") W=10cm (4")

Overall L= 36.5cm (14-3/8") @ Buffers, Overall H 14cm (5-1/2") from top of rail

Doors=7.5cm (3")

Adding a basic interior, pics to follow

Miamigo259

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Best answers
Country flag
vsmith said:
Miamigo259 said:

took me awhile to get back to this project, measurements:

Body L=33cm (13") W=10cm (4")

Overall L= 36.5cm (14-3/8") @ Buffers, Overall H 14cm (5-1/2") from top of rail

Doors=7.5cm (3")

Adding a basic interior, pics to follow

Many thanks for that info.

I may be getting tempted......!!

vsmith

24 Oct 2009
Sunny So Cal
Best answers
Country flag

vsmith

24 Oct 2009
Sunny So Cal
Best answers
Country flag
Finally couldnt take those single axles anymore, just too much association with the toy line version so...

http://1stclass.mylargescale.com/vsmith/Annie06.JPG < Link To
Annie06.JPG

Added LGB trucks, got the buffers back to almost exactly the same height as the goods wagon

http://1stclass.mylargescale.com/vsmith/Annie09.JPG < Link To
Annie09.JPG

added a new bolster, 1/2" w x 3/8" h basswood

http://1stclass.mylargescale.com/vsmith/Annie08.JPG < Link To
Annie08.JPG

Side view, the trucks should probably be closer to the ends but the couplers would end up alot farther out too. So I can live with them this way. Now I really need to add the lower running boards, the running boards will help cover up the US style trucks, yes I know there are proto ones at places like IP Eng but the costs to buy and ship a pair here would end up more than I payed for the entire set.

http://1stclass.mylargescale.com/vsmith/Annie07.JPG < Link To
Annie07.JPG

Still needs painting

vsmith

24 Oct 2009
Sunny So Cal
Best answers
Country flag
Painted

Annie10.JPG

Annie11.JPG

Annie12.JPG

Annie13.JPG

Still need to add some detail paintng and a nameplate, I've chosen "Eowyn" and if I ever do the same to another coach it will be called "Arwyn"

C&S asked what is the box on the guard end, honestly I dont know, I have a grainy old photo showing such a structure on the end of an old compartment coach , it looked neat and I needed something to cover up a bad gouge cutting Annie's nose off. So call it what you will, maybe someone with a bit more history on old coaches could offer an explaination.

Gareth

Railways,Transport, Wildlife ,History
28 Oct 2009
N West Wales
Best answers
Country flag
Very very nice Oh I do like that so many possibilities thanks for the dimensions now wheres my razor saw and Dragon G sacle number !:clap:

vsmith

24 Oct 2009
Sunny So Cal
Best answers
Country flag
Nodrog1826 said:
I thought you were adding a periscope to the Guards end, a la Southern coaches here in the UK,
at least one is preserved on the Bluebell Railway.

Could you post that pic you refered to, might give a better clue

I dont have a scanner but I took another look and it looks more like a ducket (is that correct spelling?) on the rear of the coach, though I dont know why a ducket would be placed that way. It doesnt go above the roofline. I do like the periscope idea though. easier than building a birdcage tho I'd like to do a birdcage on my NewQ boxcar that I want to rework into a gaurd van I saw on the Bluebell website, BTW that website is just plain awesome isnt it!

I'm learning as I go here, British profile is completely new material to me, I'm used to doing US narrow gauge for the last 20 years.

tagorton

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Cornwall
Best answers
This is very nice. I was looking at these coaches on Saturday and there seems to be lots one can do – even if one is not just getting a train for the kids/grandkids. It might interest you to know that IP Engineering is producing an internal detailing kit for these coaches. Have not seen these yet and they are not on the website but will be worth a look when they arrive. Should be available from Back 2 Bay 6...

vsmith

24 Oct 2009
Sunny So Cal
Best answers
Country flag
Thanks Tag, I'll be very interested to see what IP offers for these

I think Bachmann will really hit a homerun with this lineup, given the immense popularity of Thomas in HO and O, not just for kids but for knuckleheads like me who will de-Thomasize them. Say what you will about "scale and accuracy" issues, but given the rut large scale seams to have been in since the demise of EPL, garden railroading really needs the boost these will bring to the hobby. Now if we could just convince the Bach'man to get rid of that crappy tinplate track that the sets come with.

pugwash

impecunious pirate
Staff member
GSC Moderator
17 Nov 2009
Luxembourg
Best answers
Country flag
vsmith said:
C&S asked what is the box on the guard end, honestly I dont know, I have a grainy old photo showing such a structure on the end of an old compartment coach.
Something rings a bell, it was only at the end with the guards compartment, I can't remember if it had something to do with braking.
Could have been a chimney for the stove that the kettle goes on (more likely in Britain than europe or the U.S.) :rofl:

peterbunce

1880's Colorado Narrow gauge on 45mm track
29 Oct 2009
east of manchester
Best answers
Hi

Re the interior kit for 'Annie & Clarabel', Steve at Back2Bay6 is going to sell them and has a guilde price of £10. They are losyed on his site under new products, but there are no other details yet

Yours Peter.