Bachmann Thomas and Percy Track Polarity

stevelewis

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Buckley NR MOLD NORTH WALES
Best answers
I have heard on the grapevine that there are some of these with NMRA as oppposed to 'G Scale' wiring polarity

I have not actually seen these locos but I am told it is a very esy job to simply reverse the motor connections if required.

Cliff George

Registered
24 Oct 2009
City of Chelmsford
Best answers
Country flag
Hello Charles,

It's very easy to reverse the polarity. Take the top off by undoing four screws on either side from the bottom. Then just unsolder and reverse the wires connected to the circuit board on the back of the motor.

If you don't want to do any soldering I believe you can get into the bottom of the chassis and simply reverse the pickups on each wheel, it can be done just with a screwdriver. I've not tried this myself, I think the soldering method is best.

In the picture ignore the circuit board on the back, that is something I added as part of my DCC conversion.

878622359bf74786838ce80b7c88ff24.jpg

Regards
Cliff

CoggesRailway

Registered
25 Oct 2009
Best answers
I had to do mine too- it ran backwards. I just popped the bottom off and changed it at the pick ups- the leads just pull through. Works fine though.

Thomas is jolly fast too isn't he!?!?!?

Cliff George

Registered
24 Oct 2009
City of Chelmsford
Best answers
Country flag
Both Thomas and Percy are much too fast going flat out. One of the advantages of fitting a decoder is that you can set the max speed, even on analogue.

I suspect most adults would run these at a sensible speed but I found that kids tend to run them much too fast so I think that to limit the top speed is an advantage, because they are aimed at kids really!

Regards
Cliff

CoggesRailway

Registered
25 Oct 2009
Best answers
U R 100% right. Mine is driven by a 3 and a 5 yr old- he has so far had many an accident. They now have a speed limit imposed on the dial which has helped.

To be fair he has stood up quite well- I think he may have lost a lamp and gained some scrapes.

Walts-Playmobil

Playmobil Trains.
24 Oct 2009
North Wales
www.walts-playmobil-collection.me.uk
Best answers
Country flag
I had the same problem with the speed of my old Playmobil trains on the exhibition layout.
I put into the locos a resistor in the wire to the motor supply.
10 watt and between 5 and 10 ohms. If you need to go up hills this may restrict the locos pulling powers.