BACHMANN STEAM LOCO'S

duncan1_9_8_4

Jack of all trades on the Railway
25 Oct 2009
Pontefract, West Yorkshire
Best answers
Country flag
Not sure of any particular loco, but in general, do bachman steam loco's of the narrow gauge variety do R1 corners, with exeption of the big mallet type thing??? sorry for not been very specific.

ntpntpntp

Registered
24 Oct 2009
UK
Country
United-Kingdom
Best answers
Country flag
Although I've built my line as R3 minimum, some of my locos have ventured onto R1 from time to time for indoor testing or when visiting friends' lines. In my experience:

The Consolidation has trouble due to the long wheelbase (even though the middle drivers are flangeless) and the tender fall-plate gets in the way, causing derailments.

Mallett - can cope when running light as both drive units are articulated, but results in a lot of coupling overhang which can cause problems with the stock.

3 truck Shay - copes ok, but I think you need to be careful which of the two holes you use to couple the 3rd unit, otherwise it causes problems with the driveshaft linkage.

Big Hauler 4-6-0 - despite being sold in sets with R1 curves can struggle a little and can derail the leading pilot.

Baldwin 2-4-2T - copes ok.

trammayo

Interested in vintage commercial vehicle, trams, t
24 Oct 2009
Co. Mayo
Country
Ireland
Best answers
Country flag
Hi - I have quite a few Big Haulers and they all operate on R1 curves and points (my trailer layout is all R1 and straights). However, the pony trucks needed some extra weight to stop them jumping off the track on reverse curves. This was easy to do - bit of lead taped on top of the bogie - and that sorted the problem. Be careful not to put any metal underneath unless it is well insulated and away from the truck pick-ups.

All the smaller Bachman locos work OK. The only Big Haulers that don't stay on the track are the original plastic wheeled radio controlled ones. I have two left which I will sort out some time.

ntp..'s reply has proved informative for me as I don't have any of the other larger types because I wasn'r sure they'd negotiate the R1's.

Mick