Bachmann Smoke generators

24 Oct 2009
Rugby Warwickshire
Best answers
Country flag
acb09f1a1f7f4b479ce52e246be70bfa.jpg
Hi Folks...Now i realise that Bachmann locomotives with smoke generators,do not generate the smoke to the degree and length of time that LGB ones do...So i have been told.However,i have mostly Bachmann stock,and have always been pleased with it.The only minor quibble i have is with the smoke generators...i`m talking on Big Hauler and Porter locos here.I have found the first time you put your drops of smoke oil into the chimney and turn the smoke switch on,after a few mins,smoke is generated nicely.However,i have usually found that this is short lived,and on further oiling,smoking is rather limited,,,,,Never as good as first time.I ran my Bachmann porter loco yesterday first time...Initially it was almost like live steam,after placing 4/6 drops of smoke oil in,but it died off quickly,giving very poor smoke. Questions......

How many drops of smoke oil should you put in to a Big Hauler loco or Porter Loco from Bachmann...And how long should the smoke effect last.?

Also,can you damage your smoke generator by putting in too much oil.My friend has a circus Big Hauler,and he rather daftly poured LOADS of the stuff into the chimney...The WHOLE BOTTLE...Having turned on the smoke switch...Nothing worked,and has never done so again.

I of course realise that you should not run a smoke generator for long periods of time,without oil in,with it being turned on.

Incidentally,my USA Trains locos have always been great with their smoke generators.I am using Bachmann Oil,in the Bachmann locos.

Any advice,answers to the questions above gratefully received.Some of the G Scale Shops don`t seem to reply ??? No offence to any of them of course.

Cheers

Ade.

Steve

I didn’t say it was your fault, I said I was b
1 Jan 1970
D.I.L.L.I.G.A.F
Best answers
Country flag
Should not laugh but i know who you are talking about -

"Also,can you damage your smoke generator by putting in too much oil.My friend has a circus Big Hauler,and he rather daftly poured LOADS of the stuff into the chimney...The WHOLE BOTTLE...Having turned on the smoke switch...Nothing worked,and has never done so again."

:rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:

Mez

Registered
30 Mar 2010
Oxfordshire
Best answers
Same here.
Should not laugh.
"Some Bloke"i knew put loads in an rc tank!!
It went all inside!

Doh
[strike]I must be carefull with the trains![/strike]

Neil Robinson

Registered
24 Oct 2009
N W Leicestershire
Best answers
Country flag
Not really an answer to your question I'm afraid, but I hope my observations and comments may be of some help.
When I worked on a mate's K 27 I had a look at the wiring diagram. The standard Bachmann smoke unit was wired via a 12V voltage regulator, so I assume they are designed to work best at 12V. Many Bachmann locos start to move at around 3V and are going rather quickly by the time you have 12V to 14V on the track (if there's a voltage regulator these need around 1.5V more than the output on their input). No surprise that there's not much smoke at sensible speeds.
IMHO Bachmann smoke units are rather unsophisticated and their quality control sometimes leaves a little to be desired. In other words they vary from unit to unit, so I think the only way to find the optimum quantity of smoke fluid is by experiment on individual units.
Regarding overfilling, it won't harm the smoke unit, indeed it may extend the life of LGB/Suethe types that can't be switched off, BUT overdoing it to the extent that excess spills over is to be avoided with any type of smoke unit as excess smoke fluid has been known to sometimes have a detrimental effect on a locos electrics/electronics.

24 Oct 2009
Rugby Warwickshire
Best answers
Country flag
Thanks Neil...so yes,i guess its full speed required,with a massive load of stock on board,to slow the engine down then.

Thanks

Ade

yb281

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Worcestershire
www.facebook.com
Best answers
Based on Neil's comments and the fact that we're talking about (mostly) large loco's which may have some "spare" space somewhere inside, how about disconnecting the smoke gene from the track power and working it off a suitable battery supply?

Should all be quite simple to wire in and cheap using readily available parts from the likes of Maplin etc.?

robsmorgan

Registered
5 Feb 2010
Ceredigion, Mid Wales, UK
Best answers
Just in case you haven't come across this company in the States, have a look at their link, they have many video examples of their impressive conversion work.

http://www.rayman4449.dynip.com/DCS_Install_Services.htm < Link To http://www.rayman4449.dyn...S_Install_Services.htm

I was thinking of buying a kit and converting my Annie (Bachmann Big Hauler) but as I have gone for Radio Control and onboard power, I will need to build a power supply into a trailing boxcar or carriage.

AMAZING (to me) specific link to an Annie conversion demo

http://www.rayman4449.dynip.com/Bachmann_Annie_with_MTH_DCS_Video_6_2100kbs.wmv < Link To http://www.rayman4449.dyn...CS_Video_6_2100kbs.wmv

Regards
Rob

Gizzy

A gentleman, a scholar, and a railway modeller....
26 Oct 2009
Cambridgeshire
www.gscalecentral.net
Best answers
Country flag
yb281 said:
Based on Neil's comments and the fact that we're talking about (mostly) large loco's which may have some "spare" space somewhere inside, how about disconnecting the smoke gene from the track power and working it off a suitable battery supply?

Should all be quite simple to wire in and cheap using readily available parts from the likes of Maplin etc.?

I think that because the heating elements are high current devices, they will drain the batteries very quickly. You will therefore need a large 12 volt battery pack just to keep the element producing the smoke, and also a way of charging the batteries to keep them fully charged, once the locomotive is taking 12 volts or more from the (analogue) track supply. Difficult, and possibly not insurmountable, but it would be quite heavy.

Besides, if it was easy, the manufacturers would have already done it.

One advantage of DCC I guess? The full voltage on the track at all times....

24 Oct 2009
Rugby Warwickshire
Best answers
Country flag
Thanks for the replies then folks.Its not a massive problem.I`m one of these paranoid people who likes everything to work properly though.You should see what a state i get into,if i snap a bit off a loco,when picking it up,etc.......Total Depression !!!!

I suppose another solution...Which means i`d need to take up smoking...Get a lighted Cigarette,and shove it into the Smoke stack...Suppose that`d work ????????

And on that Light hearted note,i`ll bid you all good night..I have a delivery of darkness to contend with Early doors

Cheers

Ade.

KeithT

Hillwalking, chickens and - err - garden railways.
24 Oct 2009
Nr Manchester
Best answers
Country flag
delivery of oblivion said:
Thanks for the replies then folks.Its not a massive problem.I`m one of these paranoid people who likes everything to work properly though.You should see what a state i get into,if i snap a bit off a loco,when picking it up,etc.......Total Depression !!!!

I suppose another solution...Which means i`d need to take up smoking...Get a lighted Cigarette,and shove it into the Smoke stack...Suppose that`d work ????????

And on that Light hearted note,i`ll bid you all good night..I have a delivery of darkness to contend with Early doors

Cheers

Ade.
Get an Accucraft Caledonia, enough room in the smokebox to light an oily rag! :happy:

Andrew

Garden Railways in all scales
26 Oct 2009
Bomaderry, NSW, Australia
Best answers
Saw a Bachman Shay with a modified chimney. It was made from two steel pouring funnels. The type used for pouring liqiuds. They were modified with a steel pipe spacer and cut to look like the early chimneys. The bottom funnel had small holes drilled around it to let in air. A small incense cone was lit and placed inside the bottom part. Spacer & top were placed in position. It smoked for quiet a long time. It had to be made of light steel because of any heat that could damage plastics. You have a choice of "smells" from the incense.Down here we have Blue Gum Tree, Red Gum Tree, etc.
This could be a good way for constant smoking and battery powered trains, without relying on speed for good smoke. Also incense cones are cheap & easy to store. Can be used for buildings to.
Have a think about this idea.
Regards from Andrew at the Sandbar & Mudcrab Railway. (Down Under)