Bachmann 'skidder'

peterbunce

1880's Colorado Narrow gauge on 45mm track
29 Oct 2009
east of manchester
Best answers
Hi,

Through the kind offices of Jeremy at Dragon G-Scale, who now uses a quick delivery service from FedEx. They have just delivered my new Bachmann skidder, which is a vertical boilered steam winch, on skids.  

f1339c205ee54ad7962434f4dedc088f.jpg

Here is a  photo (apologies for the poor photo which as its raining outside has taken inside) of it on top of one of my flatcars. with a metric ruler in front of it. It is quite small (being the second size of boiler from my Porter Loco Works catalog) and it will need some nut/bolt/washer castings or scratch built versions added to the skids.

There is also four plastic extensions to grind off to allow it to fit flat - easy to do - they will be used to fix it to the Bachmann 20ft flatcar which it  can also be bought with I think. Mine (just the skidder) is just short of £30 incl. post with Jeremy's quick delivery.  

The boiler & winch is just screwed (with 6 screws, two of which are quite tiny) to the skid unit so it can also be used by itself, and it comes in a nice box with the usual shaped polystyrene inner piece, which will be cannibalized for some packing crate inners I think!.  However Bachmann cut corners with the ends of the skids - these are solid baulks of timber, Bachmann have left the sloped wnds open - thay need filling in to have a solid looking end and painting to match! 

First thoughts are that it could be used on the yard gantry crane (yet to be built) between the boiler shop  and the (yet to be built machine shop, which will be first - the land for it and its 2 foot square foundation slab has been cleared though!), other thoughts may change that idea, using this version to scratch build a larger version!   I also have the much larger Ozark kit which was brought back from the USA for me by Rod Fearnley to assist as well.

Now it needs some muck and rubbish fixed on, some weathering for it and a small (rectangular) water tank on one end of the skids, more dirty rope (well; string muckied up) which will make it much better. At the very least it is the start of a small load, the chimney is removable so it can be fixed in the down position.  It could even gain new a new and longer skid unit.  

It is 190mm long, 69mm wide and without chimney 125 (with 165) mm 

Yours Peter

Richie

Rio Grande Railroad , Mountain biking , Gardening
24 Oct 2009
Albrighton West Midlands
Best answers
Hi Peter
Got my self one from Steve at Back2bay6 the other day great looking model for the money :clap: