Bachmann open tram.

Fairlie

Registered
22 Jun 2011
Shropshire
Best answers
The motor on my Bachmann open tram has failed. I know that there has been a lot of criticism of thse motor blocks on the forum, but the rest of the block seems in good order. Is it possible to get a spare motor? This would make a nice easy repair job. I have seen mention of the USA Trains NW2 block as a replacement, but it seems that this is quite a bit deeper, so that the tram would sit higher, not look quite right and might not couple correctly if so required. I couldn't cut out the floor on an open tram.
Any other suggestions anyone?
Might it be better to buy another one and use this one as a trailer? Would the Bachmann tram cope with a trailer?

trammayo

Interested in vintage commercial vehicle, trams, t
24 Oct 2009
Co. Mayo
Country
Ireland
Best answers
Country flag
Mole (Alyn) has fitted replacement motors to his. Yes the Bachmann trams cope with trailer/s

417baf2de4b543cba86593f6108c49c1.jpg

6be6549a12e04c69a6756b198655f888.jpg

Gizzy

A gentleman, a scholar, and a railway modeller....
26 Oct 2009
Cambridgeshire
www.gscalecentral.net
Best answers
Country flag
Might be worth contacting Bachmann UK as the tram is being re-released under the Lilliput label.

It may have an updated motor by now....

dutchelm

Registered
24 Oct 2009
N Somerset
Best answers
Country flag
I can possibly help if is only the motor. I have several of these gearboxes around with duff gears but the motors are still intact. I will have a look.

Fairlie

Registered
22 Jun 2011
Shropshire
Best answers
dutchelm said:
I can possibly help if is only the motor. I have several of these gearboxes around with duff gears but the motors are still intact. I will have a look.

Yes, Mike, it is only the motor. The rest of it seems pretty good. Malcolm.

themole

tramways
25 Oct 2009
In a burrow.
Best answers
Country flag
Morning, Fairlie, I re-motored all my Bachmann trams a few years back. I bought a job lot of Buhler motors from Proops at the old Town & Country Show Stoneleigh for £1 each. Proops also sold me an assortment of brass gears for £5. ( I was one of the invited exhibitors in the model engineering hall.) Just a thought Bachmann now come with a life-time warranty you could get intouch with them and see what they say/do.Alyn

dutchelm

Registered
24 Oct 2009
N Somerset
Best answers
Country flag
PM sent.

Mike Ellis

Registered
8 May 2020
Preston
Best answers
Country flag
Is it possible to get an LGB power block to replace the Bachmann block? If so, which model?

PhilP

G Scale, 7/8th's, Electronics
5 Jun 2013
Nottingham
Best answers
Country flag
Is it possible to get an LGB power block to replace the Bachmann block? If so, which model?

A USA Trains NW2 block is a relatively easy fit..

dutchelm

Registered
24 Oct 2009
N Somerset
Best answers
Country flag
2 problems with LGB motor blocks. The wheelbase is wrong & they need a big hole cut in the bottom of the tram. A USAT NW2 or similar motor has the right wheelbase & you can fit it without much cutting.