Bachmann North Star Express

BrendaSchonig

Registered
19 Nov 2018
Gilbert, Arizona
Best answers
I have just decided it is not worth putting any money into. The plastic gears are not crack anywhere that I can see. I have three other LGB engines I can use so why put money into a less superior engine that I I really do not need. I really wanted the set for the caboose and the Texaco tanker so I am happy.
Fred I sent another Post with pictures would you please take a look at them?

Rhinochugger

Retired Oik
27 Oct 2009
North West Norfolk
Best answers
Country flag
They knew the gears were worn out. What I thought was plastic snow was actually the gear material.

They most certainly did - you could go round and fill their fuel tank with water :nod::nod::nod:

BrendaSchonig

Registered
19 Nov 2018
Gilbert, Arizona
Best answers
They most certainly did - you could go round and fill their fuel tank with water :nod::nod::nod:
Not my style. Karma is what I like to see work on people. Karma does eventually come around. And then there is always the "Final Judgement" I am more afraid of that then anything LOL.

Reactions: 1 user

Rhinochugger

Retired Oik
27 Oct 2009
North West Norfolk
Best answers
Country flag
Not my style. Karma is what I like to see work on people. Karma does eventually come around. And then there is always the "Final Judgement" I am more afraid of that then anything LOL.
Yebbut it's nice to think about doing it :devil::devil:

Rhinochugger

Retired Oik
27 Oct 2009
North West Norfolk
Best answers
Country flag
isn't sugar more efficient?
Well, it could certainly accelerate the final judgement scenario :nod::nod:

Reminds me of a snippet that someone found in a church that went something along the lines of:

This is a place for quiet prayer, so please turn off your mobile phone.
Sometimes God speaks directly to people, but he rarely rings you on your mobile phone.
If, however, you want to see God, just send him a text while you're driving.

Paradise

Registered
28 Jan 2010
Back Yard
Country
Australia
Best answers
Country flag
If you can't find a replacement cover for the battery I recon you could shape a piece of wire so the ends poke through from between the hinge holes. It would do a return curve under the little latch on the other side.
A paper clip may work.

Ken Tonge

Registered
24 Jun 2013
Best answers
Country flag
Well I took the engine apart yesterday again. I still did not see anything wrong. Then hubby came home and immediately pointed out the the lover plastic gear is totally worn out and the gear cogs go not even touch the gear above it. So.....I feel better about keeping the train set. They knew the gears were worn out. What I thought was plastic snow was actually the gear material. I may consider after all getting the replacement chassis after Christmas and after I get over the $800. car repair bill for my daughter's car after her ex boyfriend put water in her gas tank. sigh. Fred2179G can you link me to the site for the chassis? I need to send a picture of the side of the loco I guess so you said you could identify which one. I hope these are the pictures you need.
....View attachment 246467View attachment 246468View attachment 246469
The gearbox is not exactly like the one on my Bachmann Annie, but has the same defect - plastic gearing. I rebuilt mine several times using a variety of worm gear sets in metal. But these also wore out. The gearbox plates are just not finely enough engineered. But I was driving the engine hard with long trains. My solution was to scrap the original gearbox and motor and build one from scratch using a small motor with epicyclic reduction gears built in (found on Ebay and delivered from China) and a final drive of Meccano gear wheels. The result is a powerful locomotive that can crawl along. Certainly the speed is more prototypically realistic.

Fred2179G

Registered
20 Apr 2017
USA
Best answers
Country flag

Paradise

Registered
28 Jan 2010
Back Yard
Country
Australia
Best answers
Country flag
Loco Chassis (90088) (Large 4-6-0) [CH-90088] - $40.00 : Bachmann Trains Online Store!
There are a range of chassi, but all are roughly the same. They are 57% off, and this is the only unit in stock.

That's the one with plastic side rods and no valve gear.
There are also the Anniversary chassis with metal side rods with no valve gear or Walschaerts valve gear for only $5 more with several versions and plenty in stock.
The chassis may be slightly different to the OP's original one but can be easily made to fit.

4-6-0 Anniversary Locomotive : Bachmann Trains Online Store!

CH-81099.JPG

IMG_2154.JPG