Bachmann Mogul 2 6 0 Midwest Quarry Loco

24 Oct 2009
Rugby Warwickshire
Best answers
Country flag
17a49373d6fa42eb8b88caf26adc04cc.jpg

Hello Folks,
Does anyone know much about these please ? Is it a decent loco,with reasonable pulling power.

Bachmann Mogul 2 6 0 Midwest Quarry Loco

I had not seen one before.Have they been avaliable long ???

Thanks

Ade

Miamigo259

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Best answers
Country flag
I bought one about 5 years ago when they were being sold off by one of the retailers for £90.

They are a bit on the "small" side for a loco of that type, but it seems to have a reasonable hauling capacity, though I tend to only run it with its own dedicated train of 4 Bachmann mine tippers and a 4-wheel caboose.

Certainly worth the money I paid for it!

24 Oct 2009
Rugby Warwickshire
Best answers
Country flag
Thanks for the reply..Any idea how much they are brand new please ?? Also..Are the rods metal ?,and is the sound similar to what you get with a 4 6 0 Big Hauler Baldwin

Thanks everso much

Ade

Mik

Steam tractors, good books, scratchbuilding models
17 Dec 2009
The wilds of Western Pennsylvania
www.the-ashpit.com
Best answers
The drivetrain is good, but they need a lot of weight added.... seems B'mann decided an electronic board in the boiler was more important than a chunk of metal.

They have the same lousy sound as the Big Hauler, and a blue-white LED headlight (hence the circuit board) The MSRP is $295... so it's fairly safe to expect a street price somewhere between 1/2 to 2/3 that.

They've been out of production for a while, but are supposed to be re-introduced this fall (October, if you trust B'mann's advertising dept).

Banta Modelworks makes a really nice laser cut wood cab for them, or a Delton/Aristo c-16 cab can be made to fit.

The thing is the old Hawaii #5 2-4-2 plantation loco superstructure on a 2-6-0 chassis. B'mann called it a 'Baldwin catalog engine' - meaning that somebody COULD have ordered one like that, but....
HRYCO5-640.JPG

The closest to an actual prototype that I've seen is the Maui plantation loco.
260-maui.jpg

BLW-ng-260c-ch.jpg

They look spindly because the boiler sits too high. Probably more surgery than it's worth to fix that, but I may be getting a new version one for Christmas (I asked Santa, and I was extra good) ---- I have a c-16 cab and tender shell in my scrapbox ready and waiting for it :clap:

Reactions: 1 user

vsmith

G Scale indoors, O Tinplate, Micro Layouts
24 Oct 2009
Sunny So Cal
Best answers
Country flag
Yes they are very light pullers, only a few standard size cars before the wheels spin, mine on 4% grades could barely pull its own tender and a bobber caboose over. On a dead leavel layout it does pull better. Now you can add lead buckshot to the airtanks or self adhesive weights inside the boiler but theres not much room, any added weight is a benifit.

The prototype was a plantation engine so it was never intended to pull full size cars.... well, not many of them. I liked mine light weight and everything, it was the only engine that came with factory sound that didnt want me to cut the wires to the speakers 2 minutes after turning it on.

Is this an older one or a new one? Bachmann is supposed to re-release this along with a revamped Lyn 2-4-2T later this year but I havent seen any advertised so I'm assuming this is new old stock?

trammayo

Interested in vintage commercial vehicle, trams, t
24 Oct 2009
Co. Mayo
Country
Ireland
Best answers
Country flag
Be careful with the tender to loco wires - they have a habit of breaking off! Its not a bad loco and I paid (I think) about £75 brand new a year or two back.

Mick

Gareth

Railways,Transport, Wildlife ,History
28 Oct 2009
N West Wales
Best answers
Country flag
I bought a industrial mogul a couple of years ago at approx £70.00 . I have modified it to a more european outline as to running its a good little runner but would not pull the skin off a rice pudding. So Ive added more weight (Not a lot of room for this !) But last week by sheer coincidence I decided to have another look at it . So after much thought I realised something was wrong and on close inspection made a discovery the front bogie spring is to strong and lifting the front driving wheels slightly off the track ! So after cutting the spring down and softening it hey presto she hauled over 10 hoppers plus brake on our undulating road with some tight curves and steep gradients . So Personally I would go for it :clap:

Mik

17 Dec 2009
www.the-ashpit.com
Best answers
One thing I should mention. NONE of the ones I had liked Aristo's small radius turnouts... The LGB ones were fine, but they'd pogo stick off the rails any time they hit an Aristo from either direction.

vsmith

G Scale indoors, O Tinplate, Micro Layouts
24 Oct 2009
Sunny So Cal
Best answers
Country flag
Mik said:
One thing I should mention. NONE of the ones I had liked Aristo's small radius turnouts... The LGB ones were fine, but they'd pogo stick off the rails any time they hit an Aristo from either direction.

Mik, it is my humble considered experience that when it comes to Aristo R1 turnouts, NOTHING like them. I had problems with everything I tried running over them, got so frustrated by the constant derailments I chucked them all onto Feebay and got LGB, turnouts will never buy another Aristo turnout again.

Mik

17 Dec 2009
www.the-ashpit.com
Best answers
vsmith said:
it is my humble considered experience that when it comes to Aristo R1 turnouts, NOTHING like them. I had problems with everything I tried running over them....

Vic, LGB Stainz and Porters will stay on... they usually stutter on the frog, but they'll stay on. :confused:

largescale

Registered
30 Mar 2010
suffolk
Best answers
Great little locos,I have two_One has been bashed into a 0.6.0 Baldwin side tank and the other,pic attached,refinished with a scratch built wooden cab added.
The grey finish is due to the photo,in reality it is dirty black.
Agree with the weight comments,must add some.
Regards
David

largescale

Registered
30 Mar 2010
suffolk
Best answers
Woops,no pic upload.Will post later

largescale

Registered
30 Mar 2010
suffolk
Best answers
Pic of Mogul
3d885eec88084fdbb8a8d077b6a206bd.jpg

24 Oct 2009
Rugby Warwickshire
Best answers
Country flag
Thats a fine looking loco there !!!!! Thanksfor putting picture up David.
Well,i have taken the plunge,and put an offer in on the loco,and its been accepted,so fingers crossed.I`m feeling pretty miserable at the moment with my on going situation at work.......am now looking for a new job.This purchase has cheered me up a bit.

Thanks folks

Ade.

24 Oct 2009
Rugby Warwickshire
Best answers
Country flag
Oh Well...Looking at the original picture at top of this thread,i rekon that there`s a snapped off pipe...The black one just infront of cab ?? It should curl at the top .....Would any of you agree ??

Ade.

Mik

17 Dec 2009
www.the-ashpit.com
Best answers
I think it's just wire --- if not snip, drill, and replace it with some.. Plus, some turbine exhausts were straight.....

24 Oct 2009
Rugby Warwickshire
Best answers
Country flag
Mik said:
I think it's just wire --- if not snip, drill, and replace it with some.. Plus, some turbine exhausts were straight.....

Hope that this one IS a straight exhaust pipe then.Perhaps its an older model.Every picture of these locos i have seen on the net,have really tall,Curled,(Walking stick) type pipes...You see,i`m always purchasing things,with bits snapped off !!!!!!!
I never realise till its too late Ha Ha.Have inadvertantly sold a loco myself,with a snapped lug,which held a hand rail.I never noticed it,till it was pointed out.Little things i know.Hope its meant to be straight.Was advertised as perfect.Looking forward to it arriving.Wonder if the seller is on this forum ??? (E-Bay purchase)

Cheers

Ade.....