Bachmann LYN with emotion xls

UKSGR

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Bournemouth
Best answers
Country flag
Hi all

I have a Bachmann LYN with a emotion xls to look at which is running very smoothly with the sound turned off but with the sound on, it runs a few feet and then gets jerky for a few inches and this is repeated. If run at speed 1 then it seems fine with sound but any faster and it gets jerky. I have looked at the joints connecting the power and motor wires and they seem OK. Anybody got any ideas please?

bigjack

Railways of all shapes and sizes G 00 and big en's
24 Oct 2009
On the sunny North Coast of Essex
Best answers
Country flag
Has the decoder been connected through the mother board in the engine? If so, you might need to remove the mother board and connect direct to the motor. If you do this make sure that any capacitors that may be attached to the motor are removed before wiring the decoder.
Hope that this may be of some help.

UKSGR

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Bournemouth
Best answers
Country flag
Thanks for this. The motherboard has been removed and the decoder connected direct.

All ideas are helpful.

Paul

ntpntpntp

Registered
24 Oct 2009
UK
Country
United-Kingdom
Best answers
Country flag
Bad speaker causing a short and overload? Can you run with the sound on but the speaker disconnected? Try a different speaker?

PaulRhB

This Way Up
24 Oct 2009
Wilts Drifting toward the RhB,plate tectonics rock
Best answers
Country flag
Speaker is definitely the first suspect, Or what dcc system are you using as the amplifier on may be pushing a low amp system over its limit. Same happens to things like the EZ command if too many locos have sound on ;)

UKSGR

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Bournemouth
Best answers
Country flag
Thanks for the replies. Firstly, I should check the decoder and not believe what the customer says. Give him his due, he bought it second hand in the UK. The decoder is a LS not XLS.

I have tried with the speaker disconnected and it works right. The control system is a 1200z so no lack of power. When I checked the speaker I found that the original speaker has been replaced and the replacement has been fitted in place with silicone sealant. It is an 8ohm 2W mylar speaker with the code numberFE200M9NG-RX. Does anyone know if this is a Massoth speaker? Also, does anyone know the current draw of a bachmann motor? Is the LS up to the job of this loco?

All input gratefully recieved

Paul

PaulRhB

This Way Up
24 Oct 2009
Wilts Drifting toward the RhB,plate tectonics rock
Best answers
Country flag
The LS is 1.5 amp so should cope but to be sure test it using an ammeter in series using a dc controller. 8 ohms is correct but here's their site. The speakers are under - products - decoders, scroll down the decoders and the speaker page is down the bottom.
http://www.massoth.com/index.en.html