Bachmann Lyn Early Clam Shell Type

JimmyB

Now retired - trains and fishing
23 Feb 2018
Weston-super-Mare
www.tumble-down-falls.co.uk
Best answers
Country flag
As many of you will know ebay mike ebay mike put a Lyn up for sale, and there was a lot of adverse comments. So today with the assistance of parts supplied by M Michael I decided to strip the loco and investigate the working, with the goal being to understand the loco for making battery R/C.

The loco has to be at least 15 years old as it has been out of production quite a while, and obviously it has been apart a number of time during its life. The first thing I noticed was that at least one of the owners did not know how to strip the loco and a number of areas had been forced, and that that last owner to do a complete re-built didn't know how to assembly the loco. Though Michael had supplied a drawing, the stripping order was not obvious, however the parts Michael supplied provided lots of insight.

The main pick-ups are via brass strips, and these "interface" with the motor and protrude out of the motor block, so this whole pick-up assembly will need to be removed and wire connected to the motor direct. The wheels push on to the nylon gears, with a square drive, but also a shroud that should prevent accidental damage to the gears, though what was most surprising was the bolts holding the connecting rods on are actually plastic push inserts.

One of the main connects was the gap in the motor block, however as the gear sits on the inside, and the wheels push on from the outside this was not the issue, but "carp2 inside from damaged parts preventing the block coming together. with some gentle engineering persuasion the block is back together correctly.

I am now just missing a 1-64 ANC nut, took a long time to identify, and foolishly it is not 1-72 ANF as I suspected.

Before and after photo of the correctly assemble motor block, the slight splay at each end is due to the plastic being deformed due to the previous incorrect assemble:

BEFORE
142478_deca1d4b76cd72edaf0ed5782b76d092.jpg

AFTER
IMG_0720.jpg

Fred2179G

Registered
20 Apr 2017
USA
Best answers
Country flag
Looks very familiar. I set one up with battery/rc many moons ago, and I found I still have it! I squeezed 4 NiMH AA cells in each tank, the aristocraft 'remote' rx on top of the motor block, and the rest of the stuff under the roof of the cab.
If I recall, the wheels were only held on due to the flanges stopping them moving outwards, and by the flimsy outside frames that kept them in when you pick the loco up!