Bachmann long hopper cars, any good?

metzbahner

Registered
10 May 2010
www.etsy.com
Best answers
I would like to see some photos of your Bachmann long hopper cars. I am thinking of getting a string of these for my brother's railway.

Bachmann, for me , is always a "hit and miss" company. Some stuff they really impress me with--other stuff leaves me flat. But I did see a picture of their new version American (3 bay or 4 bay?) hopper freight wagon, and it looks really nice.

Bachmann G rolling stock, in the very far past when I purchased it, was well worth the money. I am sure the quality of the car is still there and need a relatively inexpensive coal train consist.

So I would love to get your comments and some photos of these on your pike if you would help me out with this request.

Regards,

Tom M.

stevelewis

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Buckley NR MOLD NORTH WALES
Best answers
150ca0ba197d4a76b01e17ad4d4b58a9.jpg
I guess you refer to the cheaper range not the Fn3 superdetailed range?

Anyway yes the ones you can pick up for around £20-£30+ are an excellent way of making up longish trains inexpensively, especially as the have heavy metal wheels.

Check out the SH sections on Dragon G, Glendale Junction & Garden railway CENTRES as they frequently appear here, ALSO http://www.gscaleonline.co.uk/ < Link To www.gscaleonline.co.uk often has them

they are very easy to repaint as well 2 or 3 passes with Red oxide primer and or matt black car aeroslos and its ajob done

Gscaleonline currently shows 2 listed Southern & Peabody @ £28 NEW not S/H

Gareth

Railways,Transport, Wildlife ,History
28 Oct 2009
N West Wales
Best answers
Country flag
I have a rake of six some I built from kits the others I have bought I think they are excellent especially the kits come complete with a choice of couplings and metal wheels to boot. I would go for them . I fancy a couple of the new Aristo 2 bay hoppers to add variety to the set but hey well worth it

A

Alec K

f005c5b0beab4220925d6d080f7687f0.jpg

Bachmann hopper car kit assembled, finished in grey and branded as per the China Clay Corporation for me by Chris Moxham.

Alec

C&S

Registered
3 Nov 2009
Best answers
Gareth said:
I fancy a couple of the new Aristo 2 bay hoppers to add variety to the set but hey well worth it

I seem to remember that there was an article about a year ago (or more?) in Continental Modeller with details of a 2-bay conversion from the Bachmann cars. It was by Mike Garforth, and described stock on his Seeth Valley Railway.

Thought I had a copy but must have got rid of it; no luck with the layout name on Google, either. I'd suggest anyone who needs to follow this up should call Peco Publications who may be able to supply the right back-number.

CoggesRailway

Registered
25 Oct 2009
Best answers
I was with john from gscaleonline.co.uk yesterday (popped in) and we looked at one. it was very nice but as you say you really need a string of them not one. he mentioned he was aboout to get some in bulk- and his prices are good.

I think bachmann make very nice metal wheeled bogied vehicles.

Dave Hub

everyting
26 Oct 2009
west mids
Best answers
These hoppers are good value at less than £30.00 make a nice way of getting wagons and also it makes it a cheap way to modify them to suit your own railway without scaring the bank manager.

Here is one I made modified last year.
90ff21aea7e643da88567326bffec1bc.jpg

Richie

Rio Grande Railroad , Mountain biking , Gardening
24 Oct 2009
Albrighton West Midlands
Best answers
Hi Tom
I have one Bachmann 1:22.5 3 bay hopper which i have weathered and two of the Bachmann Fn3 2 bay hoppers which are very nice but very heavy depends on your locos and what grades you have to pull these .

3 Bay Hopper
394284c6b5314bf2bcf9c3df8098fbb8.jpg

336bef5bb7f5488c8f874a5e7e53945f.jpg

2 Bay Hopper can be seen on the rear of the train can't seem to find a close up
a475d29c873543569b143f9abae569f0.jpg

spike

It's me
24 Oct 2009
Upper Drakes Bottom
www.weathersatellite.info
Best answers
Country flag
Actually they are not bad for the money.
I got a load from John sometime a go and they have lived outside for nearly three years.

They are tough as ol boots and mine carry gravel most of the time.
Here they are working hard filled with peashingle......heavy train...:D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FjXywKzhCeY

The Devonian

Registered
17 Nov 2009
South Hams
Best answers
Country flag
I have five of the Eat Broad Top (black) cars. I repainted the EBT herald and substituted my own railroad herald and named the cars as well. The original number were kept: I only has to alter one which was a duplicate number. This is easily done with acrylic paint and an old pen NIB. I may, in the future, get some of the data only red oxide versions when they become available as coal haulage is the main source of revenue on my line. ;)

These cars are cheap and sit comfortably with my Aristo 1:29 locos and stock viz. 100T 3 bay hoppers and the new 2 bay coal hoppers.

They are, as far as I know, 1:22.5 but due to a mistake by Bachmann are sometimes quoted as 1:20.3 which they are not.
1:20.3 versions, more detailed are available but at a much higher price.

steven large

USA G SCALES OF 30 TO 50S THEMES.ASLO KIT BASHING
15 Dec 2009
Best answers
Richie said:
Hi Tom
I have one Bachmann 1:22.5 3 bay hopper which i have weathered and two of the Bachmann Fn3 2 bay hoppers which are very nice but very heavy depends on your locos and what grades you have to pull these .

3 Bay Hopper
images

images

2 Bay Hopper can be seen on the rear of the train can't seem to find a close up
images

my word i got same as yr in broad......weathering yr ago!!!!!!!....same as yr!!!..lol.......so i will uploading photos of my hopper this weekend...........they are very good and exellent smooth running so it tht real coal on top of it?....my is plastic..but will make one from my mum ex fireplace coals left over!!....