Bachmann L'il Big haulers

Madman

Registered
25 Oct 2009
Pennsylvania, USA
Best answers
Country flag
I suspect no one wants these things. I purchased a few pieces of rolling stock last year, on a whim, and had a dickens of a time getting rid of them. The last one I have is a tank car. It's been relished on Ebay, well I lost count how many times. I have it listed for $19.95 and Buy It Now for $29.95, with shipping cost at $7.95 flat rate. Seems fait to me. These things will probably mimc the Bachmann center cab diesel that was a flop a few years ago. They were selling for under a hundred dollars. Now I see them on Ebay for well over that, used. It's a good thing I didn't go into sales as a career.

PhilP

G Scale, 7/8th's, Electronics
5 Jun 2013
Nottingham
Best answers
Country flag
So, are you hoping someone will take sympathy on you, and make an offer on here then?
;) ;)
??You are coming over later this year aren't you?? - you could offer 'free delivery', then eat all the cake, and drink the beer, when you deliver it..
;) :D :happy: :happy:

Madman

Registered
25 Oct 2009
Pennsylvania, USA
Best answers
Country flag
Absolutely not. I am trying to point out how certain items in our hobby go from hate to love to whatever. In the beginning, there was a train. It was without buyers. Then the train god said, "Let the train be scarce". And it was so. The buyers then said, "What happened to the train?" The train god said, "Let's give it to them". Then the buyers forked out $$$$$$$$$$$$$. So it seems the L'il Big Maulers aren't there yet.

If you want to pay postage, you can have it for the postage alone.

vsmith

G Scale indoors, O Tinplate, Micro Layouts
24 Oct 2009
Sunny So Cal
Best answers
Country flag
Dan

The LBHs have had a really sad history. When they appeared I seamed to be the only one who was really happy to see them come out, and I have bought quite a few, the Fast Freight set, the Bumble Bee Passenger set, the blue and green engines, 2 passenger car, boxcar, and the yellow caboose. They run great, nice and smooth.

But for whatever reason, too little detail, too little interest, complete and totally non-existant marketing...they didn't catch on. Also Kader made a couple of real hairbrained mistakes, too high Thomas height coupler without any adaptors included, metal swap out wheel issues, no siderods on the engines, no interior seats on the passenger car (even Playmobil has seats!) that negated any cost advantages that might have temped folks to pick up a set. I was shocked that these were never pushed thru the Big Box stores, especially at Christmas, where they would have been a natural fit.

Anyone else notice that large scale trains of late have gotten absolutely ZILCH in the realm of ANY kind of marketing outside of our own little bubble? and the mfrs are wondering WHY sales dropped off a cliff? Its almost like we exist inside our own private universe...

My own opinion is that its Kader's fault, for whatever reason they failed to see where the market for these was at (big boxes) and instead only offered them thru traditional LS retailers to mainstream LS modelers who while they may be neat for the kids wouldn't touch them with a ten foot pole because they wouldnt look right next to their 1/29 SD70's and string of autoracks. So they tanked, instead of pushing to sell them thru Home Depot or OSH during the 2013 holidays, they just left them to rot. I suspect there is a chance the remainder could get Marshall'ed like the LGB Toytrain stuff when it got liquidated a few years ago. I hope it can be retained cause I like them.

So now they are beginning to get get blown out, Hans at Gold Coast had them at the BTS for 3 for $40, don't know how many he sold, he never has one of the particular cars I want whenever I see him (red coach).

BTW these are still in the Bmann catalog for 2014, so maybe theres some hope but they need to get their marketing act together and get these into Costco or Wallmart for the holidays. Even Lionel does a better job marketing their uber-crap Polar Express junkster.

dunnyrail

DOGS, Garden Railways, Steam Trains, Jive Dancing,
Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
St.Neots Cambridgeshire UK
Best answers
Country flag
I have to say that I am shocked, these little babies have so much Bashing potential. Yes new Wheels and revising the Couplings may be a pain. But that surely would be the pleasure in the creation of something that is purely created by your own efforts.

I will be on the look out for some really cheep in Uk. There are a few Harz Wagons that I think these would bean an ideal basis for. I say buy them and Bash away.
Jond

vsmith

24 Oct 2009
Sunny So Cal
Best answers
Country flag
Dunny, I shouldn't but I know I'll probably buy'em and stuff them in a corner somewhere, they are a great deal, especially the locos.

Madman

Registered
25 Oct 2009
Pennsylvania, USA
Best answers
Country flag
"Anyone else notice that large scale trains of late have gotten absolutely ZILCH in the realm of ANY kind of marketing"
V. Smith

Speaking of marketing, Restoration Hardware has put out a compilation of catalogs all in the same package and has sent them to their customers. A big stink was made by those who have nothing better to do with their time. However, R.H. is also continuing to market through all of the other venues available. Their strategy is flood the airways, internet, mailboxes with their name and it will generate interest. I believe it's a good strategy. If you tell people something enough times, even a lie, they'll take it as gospel. So the large scale manufacturers should take some tips from this type of marketing.
Others may not agree.

PhilP

G Scale, 7/8th's, Electronics
5 Jun 2013
Nottingham
Best answers
Country flag
At the risk of getting 'flamed'..
To my (UK) eyes, and not knowing the prototypes, they always look a bit 'disney' to me..

?Do they not have problems with their drive-trains, as well? - Or is that just relative to LGB's 'brick-outhouse' engineering?

I have stayed away from them, as my (probably incorrect) perception is they will be unreliable??
I guess this could be the 'magnifying' effect of the Internet.. You only see what people can be bothered to post, and more are inclined to belly-ache than praise!

Not really my scene as well, I am afraid..

Madman

Registered
25 Oct 2009
Pennsylvania, USA
Best answers
Country flag
Some have had very good experience with the motorized units. They're so simple that not much can go wrong with them. They are Disney like in appearance. And I would suspect that if they are run as is, no added weight, they will perform just fine.

They were meant for a market that the manufacturer totally ignored. Marketing and manufacturing must be on different planets.

You are saved from the flames today. :happy:

vsmith

24 Oct 2009
Sunny So Cal
Best answers
Country flag
Disney? I think they have great proportions and a neat 'field' vibe. Out of the box they can be a bit bare. but then they are designed for kids, not seasoned modelers. But a little effort and you can get this:

LBH%20Loco%20Bee%20Bash%20pic%2005.JPG

LBH%20Loco%20Bee%20Bash%20pic%2006.JPG

LBH%20Saddletanker%2012.JPG

These are great runners, the only thing that Kader didnt do is add a weight, they are light out of the box, but then they are designed for kids to easily pick up, some weight will need to be added.

A little bodywork and you can achieve something that would even look right on that side of the pond :eek:

LBH%20Lil%20Britain%201.JPG

LBH%20Lil%20Britian%202.JPG

:happy:

trammayo

Interested in vintage commercial vehicle, trams, t
24 Oct 2009
Co. Mayo
Country
Ireland
Best answers
Country flag
.... or this ....

Bash (73).JPG

Reactions: 1 user

playmofire

Registered
23 Oct 2010
North Yorks
Best answers
Country flag
When twojags was selling them off, I must admit I was tempted to buy one but left it too late.

Riograndad

Model Railroading, boats and oil painting,
6 Jul 2013
Northampton UK
Best answers
Country flag
If i can throw my 2cents worth in,,,,great little runner,cars too,not had a derailment with mine ,even with the grandkids driving,run just as good in reverse,great bashing!!!!!!BUT,,do agree with the side rod and coupling issues,on my lil caboose I have modifed one end using plastistruc square tube,so can use either with lil hauler cars or normal stock.Works fine!

Attachments

• lil hauler 001.JPG
    lil hauler 001.JPG
    242.7 KB · Views: 35