Bachmann Jackson Sharpe Coach re-branding.

G-force1

Prevarication Rules!
4 Aug 2015
North Middle Earth
Best answers
Country flag
They can be quite tight. If painted whilst still assmbled it is easily possible that paint has got into the joint. I would apply a light prizing or twisting pressure, with a blade, along the sides to try and break the seal.

Reactions: 1 user

Rhinochugger

Retired Oik
27 Oct 2009
North West Norfolk
Best answers
Country flag
Y - you tackle from the bottom.

That's what we were taught at school on the rugby field - hit the fleshy part for a soft landing and get your arms around the knees.

ebay mike

Retired, but still hoarding. (GOF)
6 Dec 2011
Norfolk - edge of nowhere.
Best answers
Country flag
That's what we were taught at school on the rugby field - hit the fleshy part for a soft landing and get your arms around the knees.
We had a choice at the Grammar School, so I opted out of rugby. Mind you if you were lucky you got to tackle one of the girls from The Convent about half a mile down the road. Funnily enough I ended up marrying one ten years later. ;):D

Rhinochugger

Retired Oik
27 Oct 2009
North West Norfolk
Best answers
Country flag
This saga continues, but I'm having trouble with the glazing. Some were originally stuck in with something softish/flexible, but not a silicon, somewhat harder than that, some with what looked like hot-glue, and some was a bit like Liquid-Poly, and some just clipped in. Having been advised that silicon would hold, that was the route I took but unfortunately some of it didn't: take, that is. I would advise folks not to mix glazing panels around your fleet. These coaches whilst they may all look the same, are not! There are minor differences that seem to pop up occasionally to bite one. I seem to have at least three incarnations amongst my six. Having got to over half-way through the build-up I wasn't about to start stripping down again and test which panels fitted best in which body, so I had to do small mods to what I had. It took time to get it right. The problems were two-fold, the hooks at the top, and the actual fit of the glazing bars into the window moulding. The first was relatively easy as the edge of the glazing can be slimmed with a file to suit the hooks and allow it to sit as close as possible to the body side, the second, almost impossible, so I made do with cleaning the edges off the glazing bars. It all seemed to help. We now await more silicon drying (which I'm leaving, clamped, for a day).
I think it's the era of when they were made.

If I remember rightly, my two had battery boxes for lighting, and metal tyred wheels - never tried taking the roofs off though.

JimmyB

Now retired - trains and fishing
23 Feb 2018
Weston-super-Mare
www.tumble-down-falls.co.uk
Best answers
Country flag
They can be quite tight. If painted whilst still assmbled it is easily possible that paint has got into the joint. I would apply a light prizing or twisting pressure, with a blade, along the sides to try and break the seal.
Many thanks I will keep trying.

G-force1

Prevarication Rules!
4 Aug 2015
North Middle Earth
Best answers
Country flag
Just to detail the whole job,

1/ Change all axle sets to metal wheels.
2/ Change all couplings to Accu Z2s
3/ Repaint all body work to T.V.B.L. Dark Blue (to match "Umkhulu"), roofs to white.
4/ Refit with LED lighting.
5/ Replace all plastic hand rails with metal.
6/ Populate.

Other minor(?) jobs occurred along the way, like rubbing brakes (there is still one, but I'm on to it), and picking out the windows in a contrasting colour. One or two remain, one of which is perhaps some pin-striping to the main panels and adding the railway Logo, also some minor adjustments to the lighting (Phil's file?).

The effect is as I wanted, my version of the 'Blue Train'. "Umkhulu" ** is of course an NGG16 so South African in origin, and long ago when I built my 7 1/4"g Romulus, I'd picked the dark blue of the S&D for my livery ("Gordon Too" has it as well).

Finished J&S (9)a (600 x 315).jpg

Finished J&S (10)a (600 x 481).jpg

Finished J&S (7)a (600 x 170).jpg

** "Umkhulu" is from the Ndebele/Shona (Central Africa) language and translates as "The Wise one" or "Grandfather".

Reactions: 4 users

G-force1

Prevarication Rules!
4 Aug 2015
North Middle Earth
Best answers
Country flag
With the thoughts of adding the railway logo, the easiest would be water-slide transfers. Whilst I have the artwork, I have no idea, or probably the equipment, to do the job. Pin-striping I'm still looking into.

Finished J&S (6)Logo (600 x 450).jpg

Said Logo would be small, perhaps about the size of the spot above.

Anyone out there game for a commission? Need a couple of dozen.

ebay mike

Retired, but still hoarding. (GOF)
6 Dec 2011
Norfolk - edge of nowhere.
Best answers
Country flag
With the thoughts of adding the railway logo, the easiest would be water-slide transfers. Whilst I have the artwork, I have no idea, or probably the equipment, to do the job. Pin-striping I'm still looking into.

View attachment 243990

Said Logo would be small, perhaps about the size of the spot above.

Anyone out there game for a commission? Need a couple of dozen.
I can probably do you some on self adhesive vinyl as a short term measure if any help.

JimmyB

Now retired - trains and fishing
23 Feb 2018
Weston-super-Mare
www.tumble-down-falls.co.uk
Best answers
Country flag
Well I am progressing my first coach, removing the roof was I was trying to split it in the wrong place, should have looked closer at your photos. All stripped down, cleaning and deciding the colour scheme is still a WIP.

G-force1

Prevarication Rules!
4 Aug 2015
North Middle Earth
Best answers
Country flag
Mike, Sean, good calls. I've been perusing the photos myself and may have another idea (typical of me, it arrives in fits and starts). For the time being, watch this space.

G-force1

Prevarication Rules!
4 Aug 2015
North Middle Earth
Best answers
Country flag
One thing I forgot earlier was that I glazed the door windows at each end.

Glazing (4) (600 x 450).jpg

Simply cut a piece of 0.020" clear plasticard and glued it in with silicon. Enough to keep out the damp and 'animals'.

I could have added to the 'extras' that I red oxide primered the floors and seats then painted the seat backs and squabs brown and the seat frames black.

Last edited:

tac foley

Registered
11 Apr 2017
Near Huntingdon, UK
Best answers
Country flag
They've got considerably fewer windows as well (Thank goodness!:sweating:!:sweating:!:sweating:!:sweating:!). 17 - 12!

And about 3 times the price, certainly this side of the puddle. :eek::eek: If and when you can get them.

Make that at least four times the price - usually around five times the price.

The Devonian

Registered
17 Nov 2009
South Hams
Best answers
Country flag
I have owned a few of these cars. Three were were new from the late lamented Garden Rail Centres. They were the ones with metal springs which rubbed on the axles in order to power lights. I moved them on at an Exeter Show some years ago. Three more were older and bought from someone (on the erstwhile GScale Mad Forum) who was giving up the hobby. This was at the time of the last postal strike, so took a couple of weeks to arrive!. These have battery boxes beneath for the lighting which is a more favourable idea in my view. One was used to make a static beanery (politely a Diner :D) car at my Flag stop. It was repainted, The final car was another new one, but green coloured, again from Andrew @ GRC.
The green one is untouched but the others were al painted in a livery similar to that of the Milwaukee Road. Little preparation was needed, other that a degrease type clean. The paints I used were the acrylic wargamers paints. This, with only one coat, is good but two coats of paint are more preferable. As this paint is a matt finish it looks better, in my opinion, a shiny finish highlights imperfections and looks unrealistic I believe. The diner is kept outside so need a refresher coat each spring, but the matt paint makes this a simple job.
My line is principally freight, but the J&S cars form an excursion train.

Attachments

• ONF RR6 007.jpg
    ONF RR6 007.jpg
    52.8 KB · Views: 0
  • ONF RR6 008.jpg
    ONF RR6 008.jpg
    44.3 KB · Views: 0
Reactions: 1 users

G-force1

Prevarication Rules!
4 Aug 2015
North Middle Earth
Best answers
Country flag
There is one last instalment for this thread, but even though I'm bursting to get on with it, I refuse to tackle it until I've got proper peace and quiet to do it all in one hit (all six coaches) with no distractions, no G/kids, no trips to Stockton (yesterday), no hozzy apps for 'Trousers' or shopping trips, etc., etc,. One of our number knows exactly what I'm on about ;). There is also one small test to be carried out first, but the outcome will probably make little difference. It must be done 'right' or it could look a pig's ear instead of the absolute double DBs. :wondering: :rock::rock::rock:

Bill Barnwell

Registered
30 Sep 2017
Ormond Beach, Fl
Best answers
Country flag
I have owned a few of these cars. Three were were new from the late lamented Garden Rail Centres. They were the ones with metal springs which rubbed on the axles in order to power lights. I moved them on at an Exeter Show some years ago. Three more were older and bought from someone (on the erstwhile GScale Mad Forum) who was giving up the hobby. This was at the time of the last postal strike, so took a couple of weeks to arrive!. These have battery boxes beneath for the lighting which is a more favourable idea in my view. One was used to make a static beanery (politely a Diner :D) car at my Flag stop. It was repainted, The final car was another new one, but green coloured, again from Andrew @ GRC.
The green one is untouched but the others were al painted in a livery similar to that of the Milwaukee Road. Little preparation was needed, other that a degrease type clean. The paints I used were the acrylic wargamers paints. This, with only one coat, is good but two coats of paint are more preferable. As this paint is a matt finish it looks better, in my opinion, a shiny finish highlights imperfections and looks unrealistic I believe. The diner is kept outside so need a refresher coat each spring, but the matt paint makes this a simple job.
My line is principally freight, but the J&S cars form an excursion train.
Like the colors show up nice out side, I also repainted mine using acrylics, outdoor type, usually use Krylon rattle cans, but couldn't fine the correct color I wanted, never used a airbrush before so it was a little of a learning curve, also battery lit mine only I hid the batteries and external switch up in the clearstory using LED's. Thanks for the share, Billobservation 1 side.JPG

Reactions: 4 users

The Devonian

Registered
17 Nov 2009
South Hams
Best answers
Country flag
Sharp looking car Bill, the lettering is very clear and crisp. I can't use a rattle can or any spray method - most of what I spray goes to the wrong items! :eek:

Bill Barnwell

Registered
30 Sep 2017
Ormond Beach, Fl
Best answers
Country flag
Sharp looking car Bill, the lettering is very clear and crisp. I can't use a rattle can or any spray method - most of what I spray goes to the wrong items! :eek:
Just need to keep trying and spray in a large box laying on it's side, the lettering was done with my wife's Cameo silhouette which I have captured, Bill