Bachmann Eureka & Palisade 4-4-0 DCC + Sound Conversion

gdtmsailor

Registered
19 May 2020
Santa Barbara, CA / New York, NY
Best answers
Hi, I was wondering if anyone has suggestions on best decoder & sound for the Bachmann 4-4-0 Spectrum (Eureka & Palisade)?

8 Mar 2014
San Diego
Country
Armenia
www.elmassian.com
Best answers
Country flag
"best" needs some definition:

best irregardless of price?
best - easiest
best - lowest price irrespective of sound quality
best - best sound quality

you stated decoder, so is this DCC?

Greg

gdtmsailor

Registered
19 May 2020
Best answers
"best" needs some definition:

best irregardless of price?
best - easiest
best - lowest price irrespective of sound quality
best - best sound quality

you stated decoder, so is this DCC?

Greg
Hi Greg, Good questions - to me best would be best sound quality and some level of ease to install, and currently it does not have a DCC decoder, but I have a DCC layout so I would like to make it digital as well. I would say price is not a major factor, I'd rather have a quality end result instead of something that sounds eh and doesn't really work - but if it's going to be over ~$500-600 to outfit it then not sure the value is there. With my RDC-3 I have a digitrax decoder and Phoenix sound and I think that works well from a quality perspective, price perspective, and overall ease of install.

8 Mar 2014
San Diego
Country
Armenia
www.elmassian.com
Best answers
Country flag
The quality DCC motor and sound decoders are all around or under $200. This will be less than your digitrax and Phoenix combination.

In the USA I recommend Zimo, less hassles programming, good support and a wide range of sound files, plus a rugged quality decoder that handles G scale dcc voltages. I would check with Train-Li for decoders.

As a backup I would recommend ESU.

I would not recommend Massoth in the USA, poor support and known goofy programming problems.

The Zimo have support for "smoke unit direct drive", where an inexpensive but great puffing smoke solution exists, that keeps you from paying $200 for a smoke unit, you can use an old Aristo or USA Trains unit, often available used for $25.

Greg

gdtmsailor

Registered
19 May 2020
Best answers
The quality DCC motor and sound decoders are all around or under $200. This will be less than your digitrax and Phoenix combination.

In the USA I recommend Zimo, less hassles programming, good support and a wide range of sound files, plus a rugged quality decoder that handles G scale dcc voltages. I would check with Train-Li for decoders.

As a backup I would recommend ESU.

I would not recommend Massoth in the USA, poor support and known goofy programming problems.

The Zimo have support for "smoke unit direct drive", where an inexpensive but great puffing smoke solution exists, that keeps you from paying $200 for a smoke unit, you can use an old Aristo or USA Trains unit, often available used for $25.

Greg
AWesome - so you would suggest changing the bachmann smoke unit - i still haven't gotten it to work in DC :(

8 Mar 2014
San Diego
Country
Armenia
www.elmassian.com
Best answers
Country flag
This all depends on the desired finished product and the time and effort you are willing to spend.

The bachmann unit is lousy, and it is a simple heater that will overheat when it runs out, and it does not have much smoke volume, what you would expect from a model of this category.

You can add very realistic puffing smoke if you have one of the decoders I mentioned, and find a smoke unit as I described, find a battery power installer and he will have a pile of smoke units he has removed.

Greg

Dan

Registered
28 Jan 2010
Eastern MA, USA
Best answers
Country flag
Zimo decoders have a lot of features and I even use the HO MX645 or MX645P22 in LGB single motor engines. Zimo decoders have a 30 volt rating and can withstand surges for higher voltages.
Features for even the MX645 with remote control are:
Smoke heater and fan controls, 3 settings for each
Standard Kadee with your own servo/wire/chain for remote uncoupling and even a 'waltz).
3 watt audio and remote volume control
Can drive 2 servos

Most Large scale decoders are 6 amp, 10 watt audio into 4 ohm speakers, 4 servos, up to 15 driver functions but 28 total functions.

In the USA the 1.2 amp wired MX645 is Under $100, P22 version is $100 and has 1.8 amp.