Bachmann 4-4-0 queries

Eaglecliff

Registered
19 Jul 2010
Derby, England
Best answers
Country flag
My Bachmann B&LRR 4-4-0 has lost three of its footsteps - not actually mislaid, just knocked clean off from the top, not quite sure how. Can I fix them back, other than by drilling out the brackets and gluing them in again, slightly shorter than they were?
Next question, is it possible/desirable to eliminate, or at least tone down, the shriekingly plasticky black and brown areas of the beast, and if so, how?
Then, how can I restore the discoloured "gilt" finish found on some of the metal parts, e.g. the handrails, the whistle and the supports at the front of the boiler?
Any other helpful suggestions regarding this, to me at least, rather impressive-looking beast, of which I am fond, would be welcome.
(And finally, how much are they fetching these days, not that I'm thinking of selling any time soon?)

Paul M

Registered
25 Oct 2016
Royston
Best answers
Country flag
Next question, is it possible/desirable to eliminate, or at least tone down, the shriekingly plasticky black and brown areas of the beast, and if so, how?
Weathering powders would probably be best, or a they thin wash of grungy coloured paint. I've used a extremely watery Dark Iron acrylic with OK results. Practicing first is vital though

Reactions: 1 user

Eaglecliff

Registered
19 Jul 2010
Derby, England
Best answers
Country flag
Weathering powders would probably be best, or a they thin wash of grungy coloured paint. I've used a extremely watery Dark Iron acrylic with OK results. Practicing first is vital though
Thanks for that. I had assumed that treatment of the type you suggest would be called for. Just looking for moral support, really! What niggles me about the model is the shiny firebox - how unrealistic can you get?? And the finish, or lack of it, on the black tender causes me to gnash my teeth. Still, seen from the other side of the garden I suppose it's not too bad...

Rhinochugger

Retired Oik
27 Oct 2009
North West Norfolk
Best answers
Country flag
The cab steps are a pain, and tend to snap off - I've left mine off.

When I re-liveried mine - rescuing it from a rather sloppy weathering attempt, I used gold water slide transfers to achieve the lining on the cab - tricky, but you can get there.

Right now I'm struggling to find a piccy of it :oops: EDIT - don't seem to have a photo that gives it in enough detail :shake::shake:

Last edited:

Fred2179G

Registered
20 Apr 2017
USA
Best answers
Country flag
Bachmann Parts sells the steps.

Eaglecliff

Registered
19 Jul 2010
Derby, England
Best answers
Country flag
Bachmann Parts sells the steps.
Thanks, Fred. I've actually got them, just that I'm having difficulty drilling the stumps out. As the fractures were flush with the brackets, if I succeed, it just means the steps will go in, just slightly higher than they should be when I fix them back.
What I'm hoping to hear from someone is how to make the plastic areas look like painted metal.

Rhinochugger

Retired Oik
27 Oct 2009
North West Norfolk
Best answers
Country flag
The trouble is that these locos were, by all accounts, pretty gaudy in the flesh - back in the day when everything was polished to the nines, and the coaches were referred to as the 'varnish'.

Fred2179G

Registered
20 Apr 2017
USA
Best answers
Country flag
how much are they fetching these days
I don't know about the UK, but over here good ones are highly desirable, as long as the main gear has been replaced..
We picked up a pristine SPC version, changed the gear, and it sold for more than the original retail price.
make the plastic areas look
The usual method of toning down a shiny brass loco should work. Clean the body thoroughly, then wash it with a 50% solution of acrylic paint and water. Dab under the footplate with paper towel to soak and remove the drips. I use black but black/brown dirt looks good too.

I find the weak paint dries flat and doesn't rub off, but you can spray with a UV protected matt clear to add more protection.

Eaglecliff

Registered
19 Jul 2010
Derby, England
Best answers
Country flag
The trouble is that these locos were, by all accounts, pretty gaudy in the flesh - back in the day when everything was polished to the nines, and the coaches were referred to as the 'varnish'.
I know that here in the UK, pre1900, the Midland Railway applied many coats of varnish to locos and carriages, then the transfers (decals, if that was the word in use in the US at that time), then more coats of varnish, so that when the transfers started to show signs of wear, it was time to strip everything off and start again.

Eaglecliff

Registered
19 Jul 2010
Derby, England
Best answers
Country flag
I don't know about the UK, but over here good ones are highly desirable, as long as the main gear has been replaced..
We picked up a pristine SPC version, changed the gear, and it sold for more than the original retail price.

The usual method of toning down a shiny brass loco should work. Clean the body thoroughly, then wash it with a 50% solution of acrylic paint and water. Dab under the footplate with paper towel to soak and remove the drips. I use black but black/brown dirt looks good too.

I find the weak paint dries flat and doesn't rub off, but you can spray with a UV protected matt clear to add more protection.
Haven't swapped the motor, but the loco is relatively recent. Not planning on changing anything anytime soon - the layout needs a lot of groundwork before I can turn my attention to the rolling stock. And it's been VERY wet here so far this year...

Fred2179G

Registered
20 Apr 2017
USA
Best answers
Country flag
Haven't swapped the motor,
Motors are fine - it's the final drive gear that splits. Though I have had one gearbox that chewed up the worm gear.