Bachmann 16mm figures.....

tac foley

Registered
11 Apr 2017
Near Huntingdon, UK
Best answers
Country flag
I recently treated myself to a couple of sets of Bachmann's fine new series of 16mm figures, in the form of a British-style cab crew of driver and fireman from just about any time in the 20th C steam era. What a difference from the doll-like pair we have gotten used to over the years in Bachmann's 1/20.3 offerings!

These are two well-posed figures of realistic appearance - the driver in a typical driverish stance, and the fireman with his separately-attached shovel ready to apply a load of coal. The VERY slight downside is the unrealistically bright silver of the shovel blade - nothing that can't be fixed with a couple of brush strokes of silver/black mix. They are both pretty grimy from a busy day in the cab - a real change from the often pristine clothing often encountered by other manufacturers in depicting crew in a dirty and coal-dusty environment

One set will be going into my Accucraft 'Earless', and the other into the NG/G16 Garrett, where the coal on the shovel will be magically transformed into bacon and egg [my Garrett prototype is oil-fired]. Mounted on a base of 'wooden planking' they'll add a bit of human realism to an already crowded cab.

They are VERY respectably priced, and only sold pre-packed in a set of two.

Value and overall impression - 9.5/10

tac
OVGRS

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user

Gizzy

A gentleman, a scholar, and a railway modeller....
26 Oct 2009
Cambridgeshire
www.gscalecentral.net
Best answers
Country flag
Any pix Tac....

Madman

Registered
25 Oct 2009
Pennsylvania, USA
Best answers
Country flag
Wow ! They're nice !

tac foley

Registered
11 Apr 2017
Near Huntingdon, UK
Best answers
Country flag
:cry: They don't fit in the Accucraft 'Earless'.

Unless you remove ALL the controls, and the lubricator, Johnson bar......

More space in the NG/G16 though..........

tac
Ottawa Valley GRS

James M

Registered
5 Feb 2017
Essex
Best answers
Country flag
:cry: They don't fit in the Accucraft 'Earless'.

Unless you remove ALL the controls, and the lubricator, Johnson bar......

More space in the NG/G16 though..........

tac
Ottawa Valley GRS
Had to chop the feet off one to get him to fit one of my diesels! But they are good.

tac foley

Registered
11 Apr 2017
Near Huntingdon, UK
Best answers
Country flag
I guess I could always stick the driver's head on the top of the steam oil lubricator column...

Remembering that I also had an Edrig on the rack, I tried them out in that, too, only to recall that the present cab figure, a model of my grandad, was made in 7/8th scale to more readily match the rather generously-cut Edrig.

Seems to me that I am being forced inexorably in the direction of a 'Lilla', although those piston rod packing glands are less than impressive.

tac
OVGRS

Last edited:

MRail

16mm etc - Live steam, battery & trams
26 Oct 2009
Merseyside, U.K.
youtube.com.user.MadogMersey
Best answers
Country flag
... and the other into the NG/G16 Garrett, where the coal on the shovel will be magically transformed into bacon and egg [my Garrett prototype is oil-fired].

David1226

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Abingdon, Oxfordshire
Country
United-States
Best answers
Country flag
Reactions: 1 users

tac foley

Registered
11 Apr 2017
Near Huntingdon, UK
Best answers
Country flag
BEWARE!!!!! These figures are VERY fragile!

I've just dropped the driver figure on the carpeted floor of our conservatory, and the head and left arm have broken off, cleanly, but still busted.

tac

stockers

Trains, aircraft, models, walking, beer, travel
24 Oct 2009
Nr. Ashford, Kent. England.
Best answers
Country flag
They seem to be made of a resin type material - probably a cheaper process than injection moulding.