Bachmann 1:20.3 3d print???

paul delany

Registered
30 Mar 2018
Dublin Ireland
Best answers
Country flag
Hi folks I was wondering if any of you capable folks would be willing to print me a set of arch bar trucks, as mine have disintegrated on my 1:20.3 box car.. Please please please

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210611-163642.jpg
    Screenshot_20210611-163642.jpg
    373.3 KB · Views: 0

Fred2179G

Registered
20 Apr 2017
USA
Best answers
Country flag
Hi folks I was wondering if any of you capable folks would be willing to print me a set of arch bar trucks, as mine have disintegrated on my 1:20.3 box car.. Please please please
1:20.3 archbar trucks are available from many sources, including Bachmann Parts. I never heard of them 'disintegrating. What's actually broken?
Truck - Dark Brown (G Spectrum Rolling Stock) [G880X-00G03-DB] - $45.94 : Bachmann Trains Online Store!

G880X-00G03-DB.JPG

paul delany

Registered
30 Mar 2018
Dublin Ireland
Best answers
Country flag

maxi-model

UK/US/ROW steam narrow gauge railways 1:1
27 Oct 2009
Bucks/Oxon/Northants area
Best answers
Country flag
1:20.3 archbar trucks are available from many sources, including Bachmann Parts. I never heard of them 'disintegrating. What's actually broken?
Truck - Dark Brown (G Spectrum Rolling Stock) [G880X-00G03-DB] - $45.94 : Bachmann Trains Online Store!

G880X-00G03-DB.JPG

Well known faulty batch of mazak castings that afflicted a small proportion of Bachmann Spectrum Fn3 car production. I've got one. Trucks finally shattered 4/5 years ago, as did the side steps, bit by bit - replaced with Accucraft trucks, only minor mods needed. Just the other day one of the bolsters shattered on the same car.- did a creative fix using a spare Accucraft bolster I had lying around.

A few years ago, when the problem first manifested, you could get free replacements. It only took a chance jolt, like a derailment to promote the failure. When I tried they no longer offered replacements orvhad them in stock. Basically if one shatters all the other bits made of that material on the car will fail over time in all probability. Drop me a line Paul and I'll send you pics of all the fixes I have done. Max

Last edited:

paul delany

Registered
30 Mar 2018
Dublin Ireland
Best answers
Country flag
Well known faulty batch of mazak castings that afflicted a small proportion of Bachmann Spectrum Fn3 cars. I've got one. Trucks shattered a couple of years ago, as did the side steps, bit by bit - replaced with Accucraft truck, only minor mods needed. Just the other day one of the bolsters shattered on the same car.- did a creative fix using a spare Accucraft bolster I had lying around. Max
A OK, anymore lying around sir??

maxi-model

27 Oct 2009
Best answers
Country flag
Sorry Paul no more spares lying around, used them up. However, I reckon that a pair of trucks, with bolster and steps shown will cost £64 sterling. Add shipping and possible import tax and handling, total anywhere from £100 - £130. How much is the car worth as trackside decoration wreck ? How much as a half decent working example ? How much to buy a working replacement car that may or may not be similarly afflicted ? The choise is yours. I know what I would do :)

I'll do you a deal - you can buy my modded Accucraft trucks and surviving bolster for £60 + post and I'll go and buy myself some nice new ones with all the other suspect bits included ;) Max

paul delany

Registered
30 Mar 2018
Dublin Ireland
Best answers
Country flag
Sorry Paul no more spares lying around, used them up. However, I reckon that a pair of trucks, with bolster and steps shown will cost £64 sterling. Add shipping and possible import tax and handling, total anywhere from £100 - £130. How much is the car worth as trackside decoration wreck ? How much as a half decent working example ? How much to buy a working replacement car that may or may not be similarly afflicted ? The choise is yours. I know what I would do :)

I'll do you a deal - you can buy my modded Accucraft trucks and surviving bolster for £60 + post and I'll go and buy myself some nice new ones with all the other suspect bits included ;) Max
Logical question max have you a photo please

paul delany

Registered
30 Mar 2018
Dublin Ireland
Best answers
Country flag

PhilP

G Scale, 7/8th's, Electronics
5 Jun 2013
Nottingham
Best answers
Country flag
The truck decided to just fall apart on the garden railroad and 8 months on I still can't find any of it
It's those dodgy flux-capacitor'in the power-buffers..
You would either have found the bits before they had fallen off, or not until some point in the future! :wondering: ;)

:D:D:D

maxi-model

27 Oct 2009
Best answers
Country flag
Logical question max have you a photo please

Give it a few days Paul. I have just emailed Bachmann Europe to see if they are holding stock of those parts sets here. My failed box car was a UK bought item, it still has the Bachmann Europe sticker on the box. I have told them the reason for asking for spares. I have offered to pay. Let's see what they say. It's a longshot but technically, by virtue of the consumer act, their baby. But as I say a it's a long shot and they have no obligations because of time lapse and I no longer have the broken parts. Max

paul delany

Registered
30 Mar 2018
Dublin Ireland
Best answers
Country flag
It's those dodgy flux-capacitor'in the power-buffers..
You would either have found the bits before they had fallen off, or not until some point in the future! :wondering: ;)

:D:D:D
Hi Philip we chatted before

paul delany

Registered
30 Mar 2018
Dublin Ireland
Best answers
Country flag
Give it a few days Paul. I have just emailed Bachmann Europe to see if they are holding stock of those parts sets here. My failed box car was a UK bought item, it still has the Bachmann Europe sticker on the box. I have told them the reason for asking for spares. I have offered to pay. Let's see what they say. It's a longshot but technically, by virtue of the consumer act, their baby. But as I say a it's a long shot and they have no obligations because of time lapse and I no longer have the broken parts. Max
Max I can't thankyou enough sir

maxi-model

27 Oct 2009
Best answers
Country flag
Max I can't thankyou enough sir

OK, here are the pics of my repaired boxcar. New trucks, one replaced/repaired bolster and the sidesteps. The car rides about 1 mm higher than normal on the Accucraft trucks. I could have ground the bearing surfaces down but it was not worth the risk.

Compare the bolster shots, one is stock the other has a plastic Accucraft bolster spliced in (there is a story why I had that lying around - moral, never throw anything away). Luckily the actual bogie mount, the square block in the middle was still intact. I expect if the other fails a similar repar can be effected. Everything, bar the centre mounting block is cosmetic.after the repair. I tidied up the edges., used an M3 bolt (the block has that thread right through) to hold it to the central longitudinal spar from behind with a spacer between the bolt's head and the frame to distribute the loads a bit. The bogie mounting bolt does not use all the bock's depth. Max

20210611_185314.jpg20210611_185053.jpg20210611_184836.jpg20210611_184704.jpg20210611_184532.jpg

maxi-model

27 Oct 2009
Best answers
Country flag

G880X-00G03-DB.JPG
Thanks for the link Fred. Nice to see they are back in stock, And as a complete suite of all those affected mazak parts, the ones that fail. I wonder why ? ;) The mazak queen posts, their exposed ends, are fragile too but don't get subjected so much to shocks and knocks like the other parts. Pity Bachmann would not fix the problem here in the UK. by alerting the distributor/retailers, as they seemed to do in the US, judging by postings a few years back on LSC. Which is how I found out the cause of my series of failures just by chance, Thankfully on one car (only, phew !) Sadly, these parts sets are not readily directly available in the UK. I've emailed Bachmann's UK based European distributor so see if they can help get the cost of replacements down. Hopefully below the $1 to £1 conversion rate that usually applies when comparing UK to US sale prices - building in shipping, tax admin and any distributor/retailer margins where applicable. Max

maxi-model

27 Oct 2009
Best answers
Country flag
Right. I will have to disappoint you here.Paul I spoke to Bachmann UK and they do not hold stock of these parts sets here and did not offer to ship in as, say, Accucraft UK would do for US parts for al customers (saving a lot of money usually. I had then hoped to short the shipping cost from the US by bundling them in with an order I had just placed for a replacement gearbox/motor unit for my old 2-6-0 Centenial. However, their customer service is so on the ball that the had dispatched those components within 24 hours of order. So, my apologies Paul but I will have to withdraw my offer and stick with the fixes I have done, they are solid and will last. But Bachmann do have the parts in stock if you want to order. Max

paul delany

Registered
30 Mar 2018
Dublin Ireland
Best answers
Country flag
Right. I will have to disappoint you here.Paul I spoke to Bachmann UK and they do not hold stock of these parts sets here and did not offer to ship in as, say, Accucraft UK would do for US parts for al customers (saving a lot of money usually. I had then hoped to short the shipping cost from the US by bundling them in with an order I had just placed for a replacement gearbox/motor unit for my old 2-6-0 Centenial. However, their customer service is so on the ball that the had dispatched those components within 24 hours of order. So, my apologies Paul but I will have to withdraw my offer and stick with the fixes I have done, they are solid and will last. But Bachmann do have the parts in stock if you want to order. Max
Hi max just seeing your message this morning, thankyou for trying to help me out, that's what I love about this hobby

justme igor

Registered
17 Apr 2020
Netherlands Westwoud
Country
Netherlands
Best answers
Country flag
Looks a bit Russian. i have them, i can print those in abs, i must figure out a price, wound be much ex shipping of course.
But i will not get the quality you desire.

it is printed and not from a mould, and i dont have a 0.2 or a 0.1mm nozzle
20210622_201631.jpg
20210622_201615.jpg
20210622_201841.jpg

That track I still must clean, but it is mostly for in the shed purpose.
Boogies must be sanded and painted.
I can leave/cut out the springs so you can put in "real" springs