Bachman 93938 making noise

lvis_theking2000

Registered
8 Dec 2022
Washington state
Best answers
Country flag
Hello everyone, recently I bought a used Bachmann 93938 yellow open tram. I have been running it for a little while and noticed that there seems to be a grinding noise while it drives. The noise is more noticeable when the tram is just starting, and gets a little bit quieter when the tram is up to speed. Would this be a gear issue or motor issue? How hard might it be to fix this? Does anyone have any pictures that they can share so I can get an idea of what I will be seeing and have to do?
Thanks

Attachments

• F705DA67-B8CE-4597-8663-080C71AB0CD3.jpeg
    F705DA67-B8CE-4597-8663-080C71AB0CD3.jpeg
    308.1 KB · Views: 0

Fred2179G

Registered
20 Apr 2017
USA
Best answers
Country flag
Would this be a gear issue or motor issue?
In my experience, gears grind and motors whirr. So I suspect a gear issue.

This thread has photos of the inside. Unfortunately, the motor block is built down to a price and hardly worth fixing. Better option is to buy a USAT or LGB similar power brick and fit it instead.
Re-motoring a Bachmann 4-wheel Trolley

dutchelm

Registered
24 Oct 2009
N Somerset
Best answers
Country flag
If it goes clunk, clunk, clunk, the gears have split. Quite normal in these trams. I have yet to find spares. As Fred says, replace the motor block with a USA trains unit.

lvis_theking2000

Registered
8 Dec 2022
Washington state
Best answers
Country flag
Thanks everyone for the information. I decided to open up the motor block to see what was going on and found a stripped gear inside. For now I just flipped the gear 180 degrees and that seemed to be a temporary fix, however I will definitely look into upgrading to the USA trains motor block at some point after the holidays since my kids and I love this tram.

Attachments

• 06268DE8-1EE7-44FC-A730-BF7223E6D54E.jpeg
    06268DE8-1EE7-44FC-A730-BF7223E6D54E.jpeg
    163.7 KB · Views: 0

dutchelm

Registered
24 Oct 2009
N Somerset
Best answers
Country flag
Somewhere on this forum are a few notes on fitting an USAT motor. I'll try & find a picture of one thats been converted.

Dan

Registered
28 Jan 2010
Eastern MA, USA
Best answers
Country flag
I used the USA block and now have much better running of this tram. LGB block is better but I do not run it enough to spend the extra $$ on the LGB motor block. I did add weight and pull several cars when in 'Maintenance mode". Also USA Trains is about 35 miles from me.

dunnyrail

DOGS, Garden Railways, Steam Trains, Jive Dancing,
Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
St.Neots Cambridgeshire UK
Best answers
Country flag
I used the USA block and now have much better running of this tram. LGB block is better but I do not run it enough to spend the extra $$ on the LGB motor block. I did add weight and pull several cars when in 'Maintenance mode". Also USA Trains is about 35 miles from me.
Hello everyone, recently I bought a used Bachmann 93938 yellow open tram. I have been running it for a little while and noticed that there seems to be a grinding noise while it drives. The noise is more noticeable when the tram is just starting, and gets a little bit quieter when the tram is up to speed. Would this be a gear issue or motor issue? How hard might it be to fix this? Does anyone have any pictures that they can share so I can get an idea of what I will be seeing and have to do?
Thanks

The LGB motor block is not a perfect match to meet the axle boxes both ends of the Bachman Tram chassis, neither were the USA block I used with the side frames on a bogie I made. But pretty close and much better runners as Dan says.

dutchelm

Registered
24 Oct 2009
N Somerset
Best answers
Country flag
A few pictures of a USAT motor fitted on a Bachmann tram
Photo 1 (Medium).jpgPhoto 3 (Medium).jpgPhoto 7 (Medium).jpgPhoto 9 (Medium).jpg

dunnyrail

DOGS, Garden Railways, Steam Trains, Jive Dancing,
Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
St.Neots Cambridgeshire UK
Best answers
Country flag

dutchelm

Registered
24 Oct 2009
N Somerset
Best answers
Country flag
Looking at those pics the motor block looks a perfect fit to the Bachman Tram, I wonder what occured on my conversion. Will have to look n take some pics later.
The NW2 motor is a good match. The right wheelbase & the right height. Just glue it on the underside of the tram. I tried an LGB motor but it is too short & too high.

SevenOfDiamonds

Registered
3 Jan 2010
Best answers
Country flag
Just to confirm what's already been said the Bachmann tram motor block has an 85mm wheelbase, while the USA Trains NW2 one has a 84mm wheelbase (while the standard LGB one is only 76mm).

Best Wishes

David