Bachman 2-6-6-2 motor replacement

MTG Garden railway

Registered
11 Feb 2022
Edmonton A.B
Best answers
Country flag
Hi can anyone help me towards any info for a replacement motor for a Bachman spectrum
2-6-6-2 saddle tank loco?
Ant info would greatly be appreciated

Thanks Terry

MTG Garden railway

Registered
11 Feb 2022
Edmonton A.B
Best answers
Country flag
Even buying a new gear box doesn’t come with one I tried and was not very happy

JimmyB

Now retired - trains and fishing
23 Feb 2018
Weston-super-Mare
www.tumble-down-falls.co.uk
Best answers
Country flag
Have you tried the Bachmann forum

beavercreek

Travel, Art, Theatre, Music, Photography, Trains
24 Oct 2009
Colchester, United Kingdom
www.facebook.com
Best answers
Country flag
I am not sure if the 2-6-6-2 motor is a Pitmann or a Matsushita or a Mabuchi one.
If it is a direct replacement could be found from the Pitmann dealers, maybe ebay. Also the used motor market (robotics forums tend to have quite a selection)

Reactions: 1 user

MTG Garden railway

Registered
11 Feb 2022
Edmonton A.B
Best answers
Country flag
Yeah it’s too bad.
I am not sure if the 2-6-6-2 motor is a Pitmann or a Matsushita or a Mabuchi one.
If it is a direct replacement could be found from the Pitmann dealers, maybe ebay. Also the used motor market (robotics forums tend to have quite a selection)
thanks for the info I will look into it further

philg

Registered
28 Nov 2009
Best answers
Country flag
Hi can anyone help me towards any info for a replacement motor for a Bachman spectrum
2-6-6-2 saddle tank loco?
Ant info would greatly be appreciated

Thanks Terry
I have exactly the same problem, and posted about it here a little while ago. Like you, I found Bachmann to be less than helpful and I got nothing useful from the forums. I passed the problem to a friend who is a proper engineer and he managed to dismantle the gearbox and measure it up. The initial drive from the motor appears to be via a 1:22 worm drive, so you will need the correct worm as well. We are still working on this (other projects have overtaken it a bit!) but if we get anywhere I'll post it here. If there's anyone who owns one of these locos and would be willing to have a look at the motor to help identify it, it would be very helpful. Incidentally, these engines seem to have a reputation for jerky running. Mine had maladjusted quartering straight from the factory which might explain it.
Phil

Rhinochugger

Retired Oik
27 Oct 2009
North West Norfolk
Best answers
Country flag
Firstly, Bachmann's problem is that same that many companies have, that is batch manufacture. The difficulty with that is the question of spares.

As for the original question, I think firstly it would be prudent to source a pair of motors, the question then is obtaining a motor(s) with the correct physical size (OD and length) and the correct shaft diameter..

From hazy memory, I think the motors have flywheels, so you're looking for a double shaft motor.

You may get a lead talking to some O gauge kit manufacturers.

MTG Garden railway

Registered
11 Feb 2022
Edmonton A.B
Best answers
Country flag
I have exactly the same problem, and posted about it here a little while ago. Like you, I found Bachmann to be less than helpful and I got nothing useful from the forums. I passed the problem to a friend who is a proper engineer and he managed to dismantle the gearbox and measure it up. The initial drive from the motor appears to be via a 1:22 worm drive, so you will need the correct worm as well. We are still working on this (other projects have overtaken it a bit!) but if we get anywhere I'll post it here. If there's anyone who owns one of these locos and would be willing to have a look at the motor to help identify it, it would be very helpful. Incidentally, these engines seem to have a reputation for jerky running. Mine had maladjusted quartering straight from the factory which might explain it.
Phil
Coolthanks for the info. I had no problems with mine I had oiled it daily and ran it daily (6 hrs) or more. I think I had about 1500 hrs on it before the front motor gave out and the only reason I noticed was that my amps on my controller went up.running on flat track was .8 on my up and over it was 1.2/1.4.
When the front motor gave out which it still worked at the time my amps were 1.6 flat 2.1/2.3 on up and over The motor underneath the cab is still good. Someone told me that it maybe a mubachi or a pitman motor there was a third one that I can’t remember but it’s on this forum page of reply’s. If I can figure this out I’ll will let you know as well

Happy railroading
Terry

Fred2179G

Registered
20 Apr 2017
USA
Best answers
Country flag
The initial drive from the motor appears to be via a 1:22 worm drive, so you will need the correct worm as well.
I usually yank the worm off with a gear puller (a little heat often helps) and bang it back on the shaft of the replacement. (I haven't tried this on the 2-6-6-2.) My experiences with other Bachmann models is that there is usually a model or part number somewhere, which you can use to find a replacement. Many of the smaller locos use a Kader motor shared with the HO models.

philg

Registered
28 Nov 2009
Best answers
Country flag
I usually yank the worm off with a gear puller (a little heat often helps) and bang it back on the shaft of the replacement. (I haven't tried this on the 2-6-6-2.) My experiences with other Bachmann models is that there is usually a model or part number somewhere, which you can use to find a replacement. Many of the smaller locos use a Kader motor shared with the HO models.
Thanks for this Fred. I think I'm in a different position from the OP, who has a faulty motor to replace so as you suggest could re-use the worm on any replacement. My unit was bought as a Bachmann spare for another project, so I don't have either motor or worm. I'm sure we'll find a way in the end!

Phil