Kevin

Registered
24 Oct 2009
East Mids
Best answers
Country flag
Hi everyone,

Could I ask for some advice please.

I use MTS3 for my stock however, all my points are manual. I would like to progress from manual points to electric operation. My basic and somewhat dumb question is, in addition to the point motors, what else do I need? Presumably each point motor needs wiring to something else? Also, how does the wiring work, should I use a spare LGB transformer I have from a starter set or, do I wire to the track.

Lastly, can I use any products other than LGB, does Massoth do any equivalents?

Phew, so many questions.

Any help and advice would be appreciated.

annieshalt

garden railways
24 Oct 2009
CLEVELAND
Best answers
hi kevin , lgb do a switch control box which wires into your transformer. this will control up to 4 point motors and additional switches plug into that for more point/or lighting uses.

its very simple to use. allan.

muns

Staff member
GSC Moderator
24 Oct 2009
Southampton, U.K.
www.gardenrailoutlet.co.uk
Best answers
Country flag
You can control your points direct from the MTS unit - what handset do you have (the LGB one with the knob is not capable I believe)?

In order to achieve this you will need a "Switch Decoder". LGB's offerings are a 4 point version - 55025 and a single version 55026. Massoth have an equivilent 4 point version with additional functionality (and are cheaper). Of course other manufactures products are available.

You connect the switch decoder to the track (to pick up the DCC commands and power), and connect the switch motor to the decoder.

mike

Master at annoying..
Staff member
GSC Moderator
24 Oct 2009
Rossendale
www.gscalecentral.net
Best answers
Country flag
as marks says but also you could use a massoth navagature instead off the lgb handset..

Kevin

Registered
24 Oct 2009
East Mids
Best answers
Country flag
Hi,

Firstly, thanks you for all the replies so far.

I am actually using a Massoth Navigator with the Central Station 3 as provided in the digital set. So, does the switch decoder connects to a transformer output or directly to the track?

ntpntpntp

Registered
24 Oct 2009
UK
Country
United-Kingdom
Best answers
Country flag
The switch decoder takes its power and commands from your DCC system output, so the easiest method is to connect directly to the track.

I use NCE SwitchKat decoders with each of my LGB point motors, sealed in little boxes from Maplin. These work out cheaper than using LGB or Massoth's "single channel" switch decoders, but as has been said you can get multi-channel decoders (control more than one point) which is useful where you've got a few points physically close together. I should add that I'm using an NCE system not LGB/Massoth - I don't know whether SwitchKats work with the latter DCC systems, but should do if they send NMRA standard commands to switch decoders.

Worth mentioning that depending on how you're used to operating points on layouts, you may find throwing them using a DCC handset a little more cumbersome in terms of button pressing. That can be alleviated by having your DCC system set up "routes" which throw multiple points in one operation.

Personally, I wanted something more like a traditional layout control panel: fortunately my DCC system by NCE has something called a "Mini-panel" component which detects button pushes on a traditional panel and sends "throw point" commands (or any other command you fancy!) to the DCC system. So with my system I can throw points from a panel, from a diagram on a computer or using the handset - whichever is convenient at the time.

mike

Master at annoying..
Staff member
GSC Moderator
24 Oct 2009
Rossendale
www.gscalecentral.net
Best answers
Country flag
mine were feed via a decicated power bus from the central station.. but the tracks ok

Kevin

Registered
24 Oct 2009
East Mids
Best answers
Country flag
Thanks everyone for the advice and views.

I took the plunge at the weekend and purchased the LGB point motor decoder and three LGB point motors from Glendale Junction. (it's only an hours drive away)

I connected the decoder directly to the track and intend to hide it within a small hut or something (currently it is within a water tight container). It is such a joy operating the points from my Navigator.

bigjack

Railways of all shapes and sizes G 00 and big en's
24 Oct 2009
On the sunny North Coast of Essex
Best answers
Country flag
I have some LGB point decoders, but find the Massoth are far better. They are easy to programme (CV'S) just connect them to the track, but make sure that they are covered, as they're not weather proof. I put mine in buildings, to keep the water off.

When using the Navigator, you can also programme switch routes, so that you can change several switches at once.

ntpntpntp

Registered
24 Oct 2009
UK
Country
United-Kingdom
Best answers
Country flag
mike said:
mine were feed via a decicated power bus from the central station [separate to the track feed]
Yes this is what I would recommend and is what I've done on my line. This way I can still operate the points if the track itself is running analogue DC for visiting locos, or even when there's no track power at all should I ever want to run somethig with non-insulated wheels such as a live-steamer.

korm kormsen

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Country
Paraguay
Best answers
Country flag
Kevin,
for the newer type LGB turnout motors NEVER use DC power!
they are designed to be used with AC.
if you use DC, and the impulse is prolongated, they will be fried.

("newer" = those, that are to be connected with only two cables.)

bobg

Registered
3 May 2010
Middle Earth
Best answers
korm kormsen said:
Kevin,
for the newer type LGB turnout motors NEVER use DC power!
they are designed to be used with AC.
if you use DC, and the impulse is prolongated, they will be fried.

("newer" = those, that are to be connected with only two cables.)

Sorry Korm, now I'm confused, I thought these were solenoid motors, are you saying these new ones are not, or have I got my 'two wires crossed'?

This is the ones I have, they don't seem to like AC up 'em

9f45fec78e4a45aea4f26d96d8b96cb3.jpg

ntpntpntp

Registered
24 Oct 2009
UK
Country
United-Kingdom
Best answers
Country flag
LGB two-wire point motors use a short pulse of reversable DC. Normally this is derived from an AC supply by having the switch-gear use diodes to direct either the positive or negative half of the AC cycle down the wires to the motor, depending on which way you want the motor to throw.

You can't simply feed AC to the motor as you would with a typical two-coil solenoid motor (which would have 3 wires anyway)

beavercreek

Travel, Art, Theatre, Music, Photography, Trains
24 Oct 2009
Colchester, United Kingdom
www.facebook.com
Best answers
Country flag
ntpntpntp said:
You can't simply feed AC to the motor as you would with a typical two-coil solenoid motor (which would have 3 wires anyway)

Yeah tell me about it........ been there,......fried that............

Live and learn,....live to learn...to learn is to live......nurse bring the medicine please!

minimans

Trains, Planes, Automobiles & Shooting
24 Oct 2009
San Francisco Bay Area
Best answers
You need a bottle of this, On special offer today only at $15.00 a shot.......................................
7791ab9f52e54f80b19b2653a2efc5ea.jpg

bobg

Registered
3 May 2010
Middle Earth
Best answers
minimans said:
You need a bottle of this, On special offer today only at $15.00 a shot.......................................

Yeah it's Ok! I already got a bottle of that and a tin of compression and a long stand left over from my apprenticeship. It's darned good stuff it's lasted all these years and still going strong.

:rofl:

LGB two-wire point motors use a short pulse of reversable DC. Normally this is derived from an AC supply by having the switch-gear use diodes to direct either the positive or negative half of the AC cycle down the wires to the motor, depending on which way you want the motor to throw.

Ahhh! That's more like it. Confusion dissipated. The motor itself IS still DC, just the feed is rectified. Sorted! :clap:

beavercreek

Travel, Art, Theatre, Music, Photography, Trains
24 Oct 2009
Colchester, United Kingdom
www.facebook.com
Best answers
Country flag
bobg said:
minimans said:

Yeah it's Ok! I already got a bottle of that and a tin of compression and a long stand left over from my apprenticeship. It's darned good stuff it's lasted all these years and still going strong.

A tin of striped paint, some left handed nails and a soft hammer ahh I remember it well............

minimans

Trains, Planes, Automobiles & Shooting
24 Oct 2009
San Francisco Bay Area
Best answers
beavercreek said:
bobg said:
minimans said:

A tin of striped paint, some left handed nails and a soft hammer ahh I remember it well............

My personal favourite sending the "boy" to the stores for a long weight...................or a box of ackermans angles...........................

Rob s

trains, R/C models, 4x4 off roading, motor sport
24 Oct 2009
West Midlands
Best answers
minimans said:
beavercreek said:
bobg said:
minimans said:

My personal favourite sending the "boy" to the stores for a long weight...................or a box of ackermans angles...........................

You can add Glass hammers and Sky hooks to the above :happy:

Gizzy

A gentleman, a scholar, and a railway modeller....
26 Oct 2009
Cambridgeshire
www.gscalecentral.net
Best answers
Country flag
Rob s said:
minimans said:
beavercreek said:
bobg said:
minimans said:

You can add Glass hammers and Sky hooks to the above :happy:

In my day, you'd be sent to the Motor Transport Servicing Section for some

greased nuts.... :banghead: