Automatic Panning Camera

Scot Lawrence

Registered
30 May 2018
Rochester, NY USA
Best answers
There is also an article in the October 2010 issue of Garden Railways Magazine.
The author, John Steele, is in my Garden RR club.
Here is a video of the car featured in the article.

Scot

Reactions: 1 user

dunnyrail

DOGS, Garden Railways, Steam Trains, Jive Dancing,
Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
St.Neots Cambridgeshire UK
Best answers
Country flag
There is also an article in the October 2010 issue of Garden Railways Magazine.
The author, John Steele, is in my Garden RR club.
Here is a video of the car featured in the article.

Scot
Hm have to say the twisting and turning was all a bit too sudden for my liming. I think I am going to stick with my GoPro mounted right at the front of a Bogie Car as was done in this Vid. Perhaps it is the wide angle and also I have 4ft Radius Curves so the effect is not so sudden.

kedwards

Caving, Garden Railways & more caving. Fan of TTTE
1 Jan 2011
Bromsgrove
wychboldandstokepriorrailway.blogspot.co.uk
Best answers
Hm have to say the twisting and turning was all a bit too sudden for my liking.
I have to agree with John, and I've found the same issue in my experiments to date. The problem is that until the bogie truck or trucks have completely entered a curve the camera doesn't turn fully into the curve. The same delay occurs when the truck(s) enter a straight section. I've been experimenting with the length of the pivot arm attached to the camera. As my contraption is made from Meccano this is easy to do. I've found that rotating the camera through a smaller angle gives a much better result. I will, eventually post a video of my mechanism in operation.

ebay mike

Retired, but still hoarding. (GOF)
6 Dec 2011
Norfolk - edge of nowhere.
Best answers
Country flag
I've got five of the Bachmann BH tender chassis that are not currently needed. I might have a bit of an experiment to see if I can come up with something acceptable. If it goes well I'll equip them all in an identical manner and put them in the sales section.
Edit: Just a thought. Who will use the camera facing the direction of travel? Does anyone prefer a head on view of the train instead? What about locating the camera at the rear of the train? These things would influence the siting of the camera mount on the wagon.

dunnyrail

Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
Best answers
Country flag
I've made a short video of my attempt to get the camera to follow the curves on my new railway.

Certainly appears to be very smooth in operation, I just need some Meccano now!

JimmyB

Now retired - trains and fishing
23 Feb 2018
Weston-super-Mare
www.tumble-down-falls.co.uk
Best answers
Country flag
I will update my thread when i have time, but I find the delay on mine not as bad as some

dunnyrail

Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
Best answers
Country flag
I will update my thread when i have time, but I find the delay on mine not as bad as some

Another one with nice smooth transition to the curves oh dear Meccano or Plastic Coated Foam Board? Tricky decisions now. Love the little flower left at the top of the bank and right just before the Tunnel. Must try for a cutting when next in Somerset as there are lots of it around in Watchet.

kedwards

1 Jan 2011
Bromsgrove
Best answers
The video really does show the advantage of having a camera that pans to follow the curves. It definitely has a real advantage on tighter radius curves. I agree it does work very well and very smoothly. I'm impressed!
Mine seems to be quite smooth in operation too but possibly has a slightly longer time delay and my camera is mounted a little too high, but it does the job so I will persevere.
With my Meccano mechanism I have also been able to experiment with the length of the pivot arm to which the camera is attached. I've found that turning the camera through a small angle, possibly a little less than the radius of the curve, works best. The viewer is less aware of the camera swinging from side to side and it makes for a better viewing experience.

Last edited:

kedwards

1 Jan 2011
Bromsgrove
Best answers
This is a photo of my camera wagon on the track ready for the test run above:
View attachment 272395
In my blog i have started to write this up, if you wish to see my "trial and tribulations" it is all HERE
I've watched the video again and read your blog. This mechanism is a real winner! Very clever.

ebay mike

Retired, but still hoarding. (GOF)
6 Dec 2011
Norfolk - edge of nowhere.
Best answers
Country flag
Finally managed to upload some recent video. This is the wagon I used with onboard dash-cam.
211596_dae0435ebb7aed265ada970a5bae1364.jpg
This is the result - forgive the uneven travel through point work. Looks like a good case for converting to a bogied carrier vehicle.