Auto reversing constant headlights...

tramcar trev

all manner of mechanical apparatus...
22 Jan 2011
Canberra, Australia
trevs-tramway.blogspot.com
Best answers
I was discussing this with someone and said when I found the circuit I'd post it. Well her 'tis; http://www.members.optusnet.com.au/nswmn/con_brill_dc.htm

GAP

G Scale Trains, HO Trains, 1:1 Sugar Cane trains
14 Jun 2011
Bundaberg Queensland, Australia
Country
Australia
ringbalin-light-railway.blogspot.com
Best answers
Country flag
Tramcar Trev said:
I was discussing this with someone and said when I found the circuit I'd post it. Well her 'tis; http://www.members.optusnet.com.au/nswmn/con_brill_dc.htm

Trev I think it was me that you were discussing this with.

The output of the motor controller I am using has a constant voltage across the motor output but the motor does not move.

The LEDs across the motor output both light so all I can think of is that there is not enough current to move the motor but enough to light the LEDs.

12V across a motor at throttle neutral and it does not move, move throttle either FWD or REV and motor moves LEDs both stay lit.

It is the weirdest thing I have seen in my time as an electronics tech, all I can guess is that the output is from a controlled current source i.e. voltage is present but current is limited depending on throttle position.

The OEM told me that I could not get directional lighting by putting LEDs across the motor output but sold me a radio controlled relay to do the switching (maybe they saw me coming).

tramcar trev

all manner of mechanical apparatus...
22 Jan 2011
Canberra, Australia
trevs-tramway.blogspot.com
Best answers
Yes now I think of it it was you.... Naturally you have checked that the motor runs? I threw out 6 dead Li-ions cuz my meter would not detect a voltage but it was a faulty meter, mad scramble through the recycling....

GAP

G Scale Trains, HO Trains, 1:1 Sugar Cane trains
14 Jun 2011
Bundaberg Queensland, Australia
Country
Australia
ringbalin-light-railway.blogspot.com
Best answers
Country flag
The motors definitely run, the train runs smooth as silk.

Contacted the OEM about the LEDs being on all the time and this is the reply.

"Syren is designed to drive an inductive load, like a motor, and not a resistive one, like an LED. So the LED will always be on."

I will continue to play with the lighting I have found a circuit that use the RC relay with a different config to what I am using so I am going to use that one.

Maybe I'll make it company policy that the front light is always lit.

You can get away with anything by putting it in company policy just ask my previous boss.

Dan

Registered
28 Jan 2010
Eastern MA, USA
Best answers
Country flag
When installing a led across a motor, it will light in both directions due to the back emf output of the motor.
When a motor turns, the commutator makes and breaks contact with the power source and at this time becomes a generator from the magnetic field creating voltage when the current goes away.