Austrian Narrow Gauge (featuring steam in the Alps) - John Organ / Middleton Press 2003

jameshilton

Registered
22 Nov 2010
Near Llangollen, United Kingdom
ejklr.blogspot.com
Best answers
Country flag
Since becoming more interested in G, LGB in particular, and being taken by the company's more Austrian prototypes I very recently bought this excellent title from the Middleton Press online store (http://www.middletonpress.co.uk/ < Link To www.middletonpress.co.uk) - which is very well priced compared with Amazon and the like for the MP titles with free delivery and excellent turn around of orders. Big thumbs up on that side of things.
43e0381cc8e6463eac7c0b8b27ace627.jpg

Austrian Narrow Gauge (featuring steam in the Alps) by John Organ.
Those familiar with the Middleton Press will recognise the size, format and layout. They describe them as a Railway Encyclopedia - which if you bought every book would need quite some space. The book is a good size, between A5 and A4, hard backed with a glossy printed cover and no dust jacket to get torn or damaged. Reasonable thickness, not too heavy to hold if sat in an arm chair.
Content wise, first impressions are good. It follows a tried and tested layout - starting with a description of the various steam locomotives that have operated, and a cursery description of some of the diesels, before having sections on areas of Austria and there railways. Sections start with a text description and route map, followed by lovely atmospheric photos with good quality captions.
As an overview it covers the lot, perhaps a little more on the rack railways than I would like but the title does a good job of covering the narrow gauge (both 760mm and 1m, steam, diesel and electric, old, closed, modern and preserved) lines across the country.
a73b584df5dd4983ab794400c2fe2d76.jpg

955dc6db5484434ab9ccbce1ca9c1431.jpg

I look forward to a few quiet evenings, coffee, biscuit and my favourite arm chair - soaking up the atmosphere, understanding the different characters of each line and trying desperately to avoid starting an indoor HOe version of the ZB or Steyr valley lines as well as my LGB outdoors!

jameshilton

Registered
22 Nov 2010
Near Llangollen, United Kingdom
ejklr.blogspot.com
Best answers
Country flag
The lack of diesels is noticeable definitely - I hadn't realised that steam lasted well into the 80's on some of the lines! That's incredible though! Any more Austrian NG book recommendations welcome - please drop me a PM :)

Spule 4

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Les États-Unis
Best answers
Interesting review, I have seen this book listed and wondered about it.

Another good book, is Bier's book on the Austrian U locos, but it is in German.

dutchelm

Registered
24 Oct 2009
N Somerset
Best answers
Country flag
Spule 4 said:
Interesting review, I have seen this book listed and wondered about it.

Another good book, is Bier's book on the Austrian U locos, but it is in German.
I can recommend Reihe U by Roland Beire. As you say it is in German but it has a wealth of pictures & tables. I don't speak any German but found it very interesting.

Rhinochugger

Retired Oik
27 Oct 2009
North West Norfolk
Best answers
Country flag
jameshilton said:
I very recently bought this excellent title from the Middleton Press online store (http://www.middletonpress.co.uk/ < Link To www.middletonpress.co.uk) - which is very well priced compared with Amazon and the like for the MP titles with free delivery and excellent turn around of orders. Big thumbs up on that side of things.

Vic Mitchell (one of the founder members and director of Ffestionog Railway) formed Middleton Press when he tried to get his first book (Branch Lines to Midhurst) published. No company would take it on, so he did it himself, and as we all know, there are over 100 titles now.

He lives a mile or so down the road from me, and although I had a couple of signed copies of his books, I only realised that I had been a member of the same inter-church committee as Vic, when we were walking back down the road chatting one day, and I put his name and the books together !!

I'm still waiting for WH Smith to deliver the Kingston/Shepperton loop to me (Vic doesn't take Smith's vouchers :rofl: )