Registered
27 Nov 2018
Jersey
Country
Jersey
hsbagardenrailway.com
Best answers
Country flag
We've just come into possession of a fair number of preiser figures for the garden railway. I was wondering what people use for fixing them in position. Current ideas are for the following locations:
  • On cement platforms
  • On G Scale buildings (from Pola, Piko)
  • On rocks near the waterfall
I'd love to hear how you've approach this topic. I did have a search but struggled to find a specific thread on it.

Jazavalley

Registered
21 May 2022
Uk
Country
England
Best answers
Country flag
Am an indoor modeller, but I am seriously thinking that all weather sealant for guttering in clear would stand the test of time

dunnyrail

DOGS, Garden Railways, Steam Trains, Jive Dancing,
Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
St.Neots Cambridgeshire UK
Best answers
Country flag
One of my favorite methods is to drill a hole in the leg and glue a pin or small length of wire in there. Then a hole in where you want the figure to be is drilled and the figure popped in. Bit tricky for cement slabs, get the smallest masonry drill you can find. With the odd extra hole you can move the figures about. On platforms the same pin method can be used in luggage to hide the holes thus giving chance to swop things around.

Reactions: 1 user

Paul M

Registered
25 Oct 2016
Royston
Best answers
Country flag
A small nail or pin through the feet, put into a corresponding hole put where you want the figures. Then they are easily removed. Or as Jazavalley says, some suitable exterior mastic
Edit: Obviously great minds think alike Jon and I posted at the same time!

dunnyrail

DOGS, Garden Railways, Steam Trains, Jive Dancing,
Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
St.Neots Cambridgeshire UK
Best answers
Country flag
A small nail or pin through the feet, put into a corresponding hole put where you want the figures. Then they are easily removed. Or as Jazavalley says, some suitable exterior mastic
Both typing at the same time!

mike

Master at annoying..
Staff member
GSC Moderator
24 Oct 2009
Rossendale
www.gscalecentral.net
Best answers
Country flag
Hole drilled in the leg...a small metal nail/pin superglued the nail in the hole...drill hole were you want the figures
.clear.silicon if seated figures, ie inside a coach..or bench ect 20220422_145808.jpg

PhilP

G Scale, 7/8th's, Electronics
5 Jun 2013
Nottingham
Best answers
Country flag
The beauty of clear silicon, as with loco nameplates, is that it can be removed. Usually, with no damage to the model(s).

PhilP

LGB-Sid

Registered
19 Sep 2016
UK
Best answers
Country flag
I'm a drill a hole in the foot man as well and glue a small brass rod into the leg, then drill a hole to suit in platforms, buildings, or where ever. They are then easy to move around if required and also move back in if need be,

Reactions: 1 user

Dan

Registered
28 Jan 2010
Eastern MA, USA
Best answers
Country flag
I use steel wire not brass in the feet of the figures. One will ask why steel. It is due to the steel will rust and expand in the ground with rough edges over time, the brass does not do this.

Paul M

Registered
25 Oct 2016
Royston
Best answers
Country flag
I use steel wire not brass in the feet of the figures. One will ask why steel. It is due to the steel will rust and expand in the ground with rough edges over time, the brass does not do this.
But will you be able to remove them when required?