Aster Great Northern S2 4-8-4 AT 5 degrees below

main131

Registered
26 Oct 2009
Best answers
Country flag
Editors of Newsletters and other garden railway establishments claim 'this is the time of year to do those much needed jobs in your work shop'!
Not strictly true.
It's cold at 5 below but the sun is shining and thanks to that nice Mr Aster my spirit fired fired S2 'blows off' impatiently before a 30 min run of easy steaming.
No slip, no fuss, just another run on another day.
Please check my video

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X4CWmELNOAk

[attachment deleted by admin]

CoggesRailway

Registered
25 Oct 2009
Best answers
brilliant brilliant! yes interesting I noticed Lady Anne took a bit of warming to get her burner doing much!

Chris Bird

Steam,gardening, photography
14 Dec 2009
Dorset
Best answers
Wow - but that is a serious machine! Great to see it running in the snow with that load on.
Thanks for sharing it
Cheers
Chris

New Haven Neil

trains bikes camping kayaking red wine.....more tr
24 Oct 2009
Best answers
Great stuff - lovely loco. We run in the winter too, but switch to butane/propane mix......;)

It already has a 'proper' chuff pipe, tac - it's a draughted fire, n'est pas?. :)

Now, where's the Royal Hudson .......pretty please......:clap:

New Haven Neil said:
Great stuff - lovely loco. We run in the winter too, but switch to butane/propane mix......;)
Yes agreed, always good to see the interests of others.

When you say 5 degrees below, do you mean a good ol' North American five degrees F?
I was running my Lawley at around minus 4 degrees C ambient on Saturday using butane/propane mix. I made sure the gas was at 20 degrees C from the house before I used it. The longest run on a gas tank full was about 25 minutes, which is much shorter than normal.

Rhinochugger

Retired Oik
27 Oct 2009
North West Norfolk
Best answers
Country flag
:admire::admire::admire:

tac said:
johnsaintjim said:
New Haven Neil said:
Yes agreed, always good to see the interests of others.

When you say 5 degrees below, do you mean a good ol' North American five degrees F?
I was running my Lawley at around minus 4 degrees C ambient on Saturday using butane/propane mix. I made sure the gas was at 20 degrees C from the house before I used it. The longest run on a gas tank full was about 25 minutes, which is much shorter than normal.

Main131 lives in deepest Leicestershire, so I'd guess that he's using the Fahrenheit scale. He puts up with me and my strange metric ways when we visit with him, though....[What's six slices of chocolate cake in metric?]

tac
http://www.ovgrs.org/ < Link To www.ovgrs.org

Mmmm if he is in Leicestershire then it's degrees C because 5 below in Fahrenheit is minus 20 degrees C. Or there was one heck of a temperature drop going over the Northants/Leics border:confused:

mike

Master at annoying..
Staff member
GSC Moderator
24 Oct 2009
Rossendale
www.gscalecentral.net
Best answers
Country flag
...[What's six slices of chocolate cake in metric?]

tac
http://www.ovgrs.org/ < Link To www.ovgrs.org