Aster GN Northern 2584

GNRail

Registered
6 Dec 2020
Lafayette Oregon
Best answers
Country flag
I hope Aster will make more Great Northern Northern 4-8-4 2584 live steam models in the future.

tac foley

Registered
11 Apr 2017
Near Huntingdon, UK
Best answers
Country flag
Not a hope. Aster, as we knew it, are gone, Jim. If you didn't gots one already, you sure are not going to get one unless you buy a used model.

Do you have any idea how much Hans Huyler had to put up front to get that model produced? Think of a number, and then double it. I doubt that $3/4 million would be anywhere near enough to even restart the project for such a complex model, assuming that Aster/Accucraft would take it on. You DO know that the sponsor of any Aster model had to pay for the whole run in advance, right? Then sell them.

As Ryan Bednarik of Triple R Services notes -

Given that Aster made some 258 units of the S2 for production, I highly doubt we will see that re-run anytime soon (they did take their fair time selling out, so that makes it even less appealing) as that is not a common style for Aster to just re-run.

Your best bet is to watch the used market for when one comes up for sale. It would take an overwhelming market majority to want this production again for it to even be considered, in my skeptical opinion.

With that number made, I'm positing that everybody who wanted one, got it. And that's it. Don't overlook the need for something for it to haul, either. Mike Smith of the G1MRA scratch-built a set of 'Empire Builder' passenger cars because nobody actually made such a model. Here you can see them being hauled ahint my Royal Hudson, over the track of the much-missed John Squire a few years back...

And here's Mike's S2 doing its thing....

Last edited:

artfull dodger

Registered
12 Apr 2012
Kokomo, Indiana USA
Best answers
Country flag
I would get with Kev at The Station Masters Rooms. He seems to have the best selection of second hand and mint Asters in the planet. Nowhere else online seems to have the selection he has, even when his selection is low. I have seen most the USA style engines turn up there from time to time. I just bought an Aster Schools from him. I myself am hunting the matching passenger coaches Aster made for the Schools. Their shorter length and tinplate style compliment the Schools engine better than the BR mk1's from Accucraft do in my opinion. If you have the cash set aside for an S2, I would start posting a wanted post where ever you can, from forms to fb to the NL&J. One will turn up.

tac foley

Registered
11 Apr 2017
Near Huntingdon, UK
Best answers
Country flag
Mr GNRail is in Oregon. so trying to find a defunct Aster model of a US loco from a UK dealer might not be such a great idea. My best guess is that Ryan in Triple R Services is far more likely to find one hiding under the bed. AFAIK, he is not a member of G1MRA.

By doing that, as you suggest, he will extend the chance of ever finding one.

Good luck to him - he should be both lucky and rich.

artfull dodger

Registered
12 Apr 2012
Kokomo, Indiana USA
Best answers
Country flag
Just giving the poster every location to try to find one. Yes letting Ryan know is a good idea as well. A couple of my steamers have come from Kev at The Station Masters, his prices are very fair on most live steamers he has(even with exchange rate). He seems to really bring in the Asters, more so than others. Just one of many places he will have to watch for that S2 to show up. I am sure there is one out there for sale. If he knows anybody going to Diamondhead that can be on the lookup, such as Ryan or others. Thats another place to watch. Happy Hunting!!