ASTER A3 Arguably the ultimate driving machine

main131

Registered
26 Oct 2009
Best answers
Country flag
Just a few minor changes to make it the 'sweetest of runners'
Made absolutely sure that the loco was not leaking steam which meant stripping it down and putting in new caskets on all three cylinder assemblies.
Aso drilled out the rusty steel grub screws securing the centre cylinder block and replaced them with stainless ones. Whist at it. replaced the grub screws in outside cylinder valve chests as well with stainless ones.
Reassembled making sure that the smokebox was leak tight.
Please see the video of it's first run yesterday.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CJoCsd4NH-s

Steve

I didn’t say it was your fault, I said I was b
1 Jan 1970
D.I.L.L.I.G.A.F
Best answers
Country flag
Wow , Very nice :clap:

minimans

Trains, Planes, Automobiles & Shooting
24 Oct 2009
San Francisco Bay Area
Best answers
Superb!! bet the cameraman keeps fit chasing that all day long!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

KeithT

Hillwalking, chickens and - err - garden railways.
24 Oct 2009
Nr Manchester
Best answers
Country flag
Wonderful but fast moving,heavy and costly locos on raised tracks make me very apprehensive. :banghead:

Ferrysteam

Registered
25 Oct 2009
Co Durham
Best answers
It's better than me rollers.......:D

hornbeam

Registered
26 Oct 2009
Best answers
Think thats the key Tac. I like my steamers to run at low scale speeds Long as the track is in good nick should be no problems.

Railfan

Registered
17 Nov 2009
Northern California, USA
Best answers
Country flag
tac said:
We have been doing it like that since around 1898 or so. ...
tac
http://www.ovgrs.org/ < Link To www.ovgrs.org
RLGSS Member
G1MRA 3641

Tac, 1898? You're older than I thought! :) And even older than I am.

Gizzy

A gentleman, a scholar, and a railway modeller....
26 Oct 2009
Cambridgeshire
www.gscalecentral.net
Best answers
Country flag
main131 said:
Just a few minor changes to make it the 'sweetest of runners'
Made absolutely sure that the loco was not leaking steam which meant stripping it down and putting in new caskets on all three cylinder assemblies.
Aso drilled out the rusty steel grub screws securing the centre cylinder block and replaced them with stainless ones. Whist at it. replaced the grub screws in outside cylinder valve chests as well with stainless ones.
Reassembled making sure that the smokebox was leak tight.
Please see the video of it's first run yesterday.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CJoCsd4NH-s
Very nice!

And I see all the snow has now gone there too....

themole

tramways
25 Oct 2009
In a burrow.
Best answers
Country flag
I can steam this, without any track! and it will pull me along! :clap: Markie Showmans Scenic 1/10th scale Alyn Click on the error picture for a picture.:wave:

Moonraker

Registered
25 Oct 2009
South Australia
Best answers
Country flag
funandtrains said:
.... You also see many 16mm locos looking a bit battered after taking tumbles off scenic tracks and I guess those who have such delicate Asters are a bit wary of having derailments with virtually unreplaceable trains costing close to £10,000...........

You struck a nerve with this comment. :( Yesterday I took my Roundhouse based steam railmotor to run on an elevated club track. All went well for ten minutes but then it decided to pretend to be an aeroplane and failed miserably. It landed on the ground half a metre down and I now have much some repair work to do. Thankfully, Roundhouse stuff is very robust so it was only my scratch built coach and cab which got smashed. Subsequent investigation suggests a combination of track subsidence, a slghtly dodgy track joint and a strong gust of wind.

But now I have a problem. Sitting in a box next to my desk is an Aster GWR Castle kit waiting to be started. I was planning to run it on the club track and at speed (how else would you run a Castle). I would hate to see yesterday's accident happen to it. Is the Castle condemned to a life on rollers?

Peter

steamtom1

Live Steam
26 Oct 2009
mssls.info
Best answers
Or run it on the center track of our club portable layout...

[align=center]
4287450243_f1b2a2223b.jpg

John Helmer photo
[/align]