ART - erratic comms

Glengrant

Registered
24 Oct 2009
NE Scotlamd
Best answers
Just run this up etc. Did a little bit of running this afternoon, see coffee thing. Now I know the track is messy, as with lots of us leaves on line etc and other detritus, but I did not seem to be getting a very good response from the ART tx. It is sending the signal, but stop/start change direction speedup/slow down responses rather erratic. The signal has a rather long way to go, and the rx is in the garage behind a brick wall, but sometimes it works, sometimes doesn't. Any thoughts? Aerial or TX battery?

Gizzy

A gentleman, a scholar, and a railway modeller....
26 Oct 2009
Cambridgeshire
www.gscalecentral.net
Best answers
Country flag
Check the battery first Cyril?

The aerial doesn't really change much, although atmosperic conditions can affect signal strength.

Or it could be something to do with the gloaming....

Neil Robinson

Registered
24 Oct 2009
N W Leicestershire
Best answers
Country flag
I suggest changing the Tx batteries for fresh ones.
Mind you I tried this once to no avail, it didn't help that I'd put one of them in the wrong way round!

Gizzy

26 Oct 2009
Cambridgeshire
www.gscalecentral.net
Best answers
Country flag
ROSS said:
Blimey - Thought that said ART- erotic coms for a second:rofl::rofl:

Well it's the sort of thing we usually expect from Cyril I guess.... :rofl:

yb281

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Worcestershire
www.facebook.com
Best answers
It is surprising how much difference the atmospherics can make Cyril. I use the Train Engineer for point control and can use it anywhere in the garden with the aerial retracted during the Summer, but I often have to extend the aerial and get closer to the receiver at this time of the year.

Glengrant

Registered
24 Oct 2009
NE Scotlamd
Best answers
OK some useful info here, thank you all. I'll maybe have a bash tomorrow, too late now, gloaming all around now, I'll have a look at the eroticism also, that should perk things up a bit, eh? Anyway, only one hour till pub time

The Devonian

Registered
17 Nov 2009
South Hams
Best answers
Country flag
I soon replaced the telescopic antenna supplied with the TE Tx for the coiled version (i.e. rubber duck). I am not sure whether these are available still. However it gives good reception and there is less possibility of eye loss. ;)
The antenna on the RX could be the cause. Has it moved or anything causing screening been placed near it?
Battery replacement has been covered here so that seems to be all the aspects other than a break in the wire Rx antenna thus shortening its frequency length.
Mel mentioned poorer reception at this time of year. I find the opposite: foliage, which is at its densest in summer, will attenuate my signals.

Gizzy

26 Oct 2009
Cambridgeshire
www.gscalecentral.net
Best answers
Country flag
yb281 said:
It is surprising how much difference the atmospherics can make Cyril. I use the Train Engineer for point control and can use it anywhere in the garden with the aerial retracted during the Summer, but I often have to extend the aerial and get closer to the receiver at this time of the year.
I had the 'rubber duck' antenna on my TE, and forgot some have a telescopic aerial?

In any case, you should always use a transmitter with your aerial fully extended, as the length of it is part of the design of the tuning circuit. I won't bore you with the science bit here.

You could damage your transmitter electronics using it with the antenna retracted.

A receiver, on the other hand, just needs a simple aerial to pick up the signal. hence the simple wire one on the TE. However, positioning and a longer length will also help to improve the reception, but won't damage the circuits in this case....

yb281

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Worcestershire
www.facebook.com
Best answers
The Devonian said:
Mel mentioned poorer reception at this time of year. I find the opposite: foliage, which is at its densest in summer, will attenuate my signals.
I was under the impression that the reason that the extendable aerial replaced the rubber one was to improve range? I wonder if this may be the cause of your Summer issues Alan?

Gizzy

26 Oct 2009
Cambridgeshire
www.gscalecentral.net
Best answers
Country flag
The Devonian said:
I soon replaced the telescopic antenna supplied with the TE Tx for the coiled version (i.e. rubber duck).
Same reasons as myself.

As well as the fact I could have poked my eye out, as I'm long sighted and couldn't see the silver aerial properly, I also found that the weight of the aerial when extended made it top heavy and thus uncomfortable to hold.

Replacing it for the 'rubber duck' solved both these issues....

The Devonian

Registered
17 Nov 2009
South Hams
Best answers
Country flag
yb281 said:
The Devonian said:
I was under the impression that the reason that the extendable aerial replaced the rubber one was to improve range? I wonder if this may be the cause of your Summer issues Alan?
That indeed may well be the case Mel. However I soon realized that myself and bushes between the Tx and Rx was not a good idea. :D

nicebutdim

Registered
14 Dec 2009
Sunny Surrey (Ha)
Best answers
Country flag
ROSS said:
I have a drawing of how to make a rubber duck somewhere. Must dig it out. Think the cost is something like 75p including cost of heatshrink to make it "rubber". Not much to them really.
I'd be really interested in that, Ross. I don't really like the extendible one either.

spike

It's me
24 Oct 2009
Upper Drakes Bottom
www.weathersatellite.info
Best answers
Country flag
Rubber ducks are notoriously inefficient.

Richie

Rio Grande Railroad , Mountain biking , Gardening
24 Oct 2009
Albrighton West Midlands
Best answers
My TE only seems to work in some parts of the garden seems to work at the bottom of the garden away from the receiver but as you get closer i loose the signal :wits:
Mel may remember this from my open day with us waving the TE around trying to find a signal , need to place foot steps in the garden where i know i get a signal :happy:

yb281

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Worcestershire
www.facebook.com
Best answers
Richie said:
Mel may remember this from my open day with us waving the TE around trying to find a signal , need to place foot steps in the garden where i know i get a signal :happy:
Oh yes, I remember that mate.

I try not to mention your open day cos, if I do, somebody always posts a pic of me and Col's backsides. :rofl::rofl::rofl:

beavercreek

Travel, Art, Theatre, Music, Photography, Trains
24 Oct 2009
Colchester, United Kingdom
www.facebook.com
Best answers
Country flag
yb281 said:
Richie said:

I try not to mention your open day cos, if I do, somebody always posts a pic of me and Col's backsides. :rofl::rofl::rofl:
Like balloons in a net...:rofl:

Once I had some time on my hands as the weather conditions changed through a few days and I tested the range of the Te tx.
On high pressure days the range was more than on low pressure moist days. Also certain walls acted as reflectors and even though closer to the receiver the signal was not as good...just the same as the old TV analogie signal (and to a degree the digital one as well) reflected signals interfere with the main carrier and induce problems.
Also waves travel through low pressure moist conditions less successfully it seems....someone may have the science behind this but must be something to do with molecules and resitance to wave movement.....................

Richie

Rio Grande Railroad , Mountain biking , Gardening
24 Oct 2009
Albrighton West Midlands
Best answers
yb281 said:
Richie said:

THIS ONE :rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:
4b4956e0951e4bdb91f5c263944e772b.jpg

beavercreek

Travel, Art, Theatre, Music, Photography, Trains
24 Oct 2009
Colchester, United Kingdom
www.facebook.com
Best answers
Country flag
Richie said:
yb281 said:
Richie said:

images

Excuse me sir do you mind if I just park me bike.......?

The Devonian

Registered
17 Nov 2009
South Hams
Best answers
Country flag
spike said:
Rubber ducks are notoriously inefficient.
Agreed Mike, but much safer when in the hands of clumsy old codgers and kids. :rofl:

yb281

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Worcestershire
www.facebook.com
Best answers
Richie said:
yb281 said:
Richie said:

images
I firkin knew it!! :mad::mad: :rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl: