Aristocraft slow motion point motors

Moonraker

Registered
25 Oct 2009
South Australia
Best answers
Country flag
In the eight years since I built my railway, I have been using LGB point motors with Aristocraft points. However, almost all of those point motors are rusted internally and most are beyond repair. I am therefore looking at replacing all eight of them with Aristocraft Slow Motion point motors (ART-11298).

Has anyone tried them? How are they operated? Is it by reversing a DC voltage? Is there any risk of them burning out if a piece of ballast jams them open? How weather proof are they?

Regards
Peter

hagen

Registered
25 Oct 2009
Kongsberg, Norway
Best answers
The Aristocraft slow motion point motors are almost a copy of the train li point motors, and at about the same price I'd take the original from Train-Li
:)

Gizzy

A gentleman, a scholar, and a railway modeller....
26 Oct 2009
Cambridgeshire
www.gscalecentral.net
Best answers
Country flag
Is it by reversing a DC voltage?

Not a 100% sure but the Train Engineer Points Module is a DC device, so I would expect the motors to be likewise.

Surprised to hear that the LGB ones have gone rusty inside. I use several of these without problems. I give them a squirt of WD40 (Palmerston will be shuddering at the thought!) if required? Maybe this has helped....

duncan1_9_8_4

Jack of all trades on the Railway
25 Oct 2009
Pontefract, West Yorkshire
Best answers
Country flag
my lgb points always get a squirt of oil on the slides, and the motors do quite often too.... been working for 6 years all in all now. i do however fancy slow motion motors!

chris m01

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Birmingham, UK
Best answers
Country flag
Haven't tried the new one but the old Aristo point motor was poor for reliability and noise. I replaced all mine with LGB motors and have had no problems.

shropshire lad

Registered
25 Jan 2010
Sunny Shropshire
Best answers
Li Trains are now doing a DC/DCC slow motion drive, a little more expensive but with a built in decoder for two wire operation.

Geoff the garden nav

Aristocraft locos & rolling stock, mid C20th to co
31 Oct 2009
Leicester, UK
Best answers
I have tried the new Aristo slow motion point motor on a large radius GRS point which normally takes two lgb point motors throw, the slow motion motor has the force but the power from Train Engineer point controller operates the motor for to shorter time to fully throw. It seems to require 2 seconds of power. The motors came packaged with a dpdt switch on a short multi core lead and components such as power transistors? attached in heat shrink tubing presumably to give the timed plus of power when the switch is thrown, not very water proof, difficult to a accommodate and requires its own power supply. The circuit board sticking out of the motor also looks vulnerable and difficult to water proof, I quickly went back to the lgb motors.

I am open to suggestions but until a switch driver for the slow motion motor comes out my one is likely to remain in a cupboard!

Glengrant

Registered
24 Oct 2009
NE Scotlamd
Best answers
When I started motorising points I used Lamaco slow motion motors. They operated very prototypically and I really liked them, but they are just not up to bad weather operation. They were powerful enough, but snow, rain and so on, not up to it. I still have an unused one in its packet

stockers

Trains, aircraft, models, walking, beer, travel
24 Oct 2009
Nr. Ashford, Kent. England.
Best answers
Country flag
I have seen those used even on submarines so I assume they must work.

Glengrant

Registered
24 Oct 2009
NE Scotlamd
Best answers
ROSS said:
Glengrant said:
When I started motorising points I used Lamaco slow motion motors. They operated very prototypically and I really liked them, but they are just not up to bad weather operation. They were powerful enough, but snow, rain and so on, not up to it. I still have an unused one in its packet

I still have 6 unused..Just have to figure a way to winterize/waterproof em!
Seems the model boat guys have this taped for the boats RC gear.
Must investigate. I believe they use a "concertina" rubber or plastic gland to stop the ingress of moisture.
images
Well Ross if you have any success I'd be obliged if you would let me into the secret, I really liked them
Cyril

nicebutdim

Registered
14 Dec 2009
Sunny Surrey (Ha)
Best answers
Country flag
I might be tempted to add two of them to each lgb point motor, to help with sealing them. It's not so much water thats a problem, it's dust and crawlies making a home in there.

Gizzy

A gentleman, a scholar, and a railway modeller....
26 Oct 2009
Cambridgeshire
www.gscalecentral.net
Best answers
Country flag
nicebutdim said:
I might be tempted to add two of them to each lgb point motor, to help with sealing them. It's not so much water thats a problem, it's dust and crawlies making a home in there.

You could use tape, a non conductive grease, or a small amount of silicon paste to seal the holes....

chris m01

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Birmingham, UK
Best answers
Country flag
I am open to suggestions but until a switch driver for the slow motion motor comes out my one is likely to remain in a cupboard!
Sounds like it was designed to work with the TE Revolution and not much else. I think you can adjust the power time for points on the revolution.