Aristocraft revolution and Servos

Moonraker

Registered
25 Oct 2009
South Australia
Best answers
Country flag
A friend of mine has done a neat job of making a remote control Kadee uncoupler on a loco. He installed a mico servo under the loco and linked it to the coupling. He modified the Kadee coupling a little so that activating the servo uncouples the train.

The problem is that the loco is battery powered with an Aristocraft Revolution radio control. The intention is that pressing a Revolution function button should cause the servo to move to its limit thereby uncoupling the train. Releasing the button should return the servo to its central position.

Anybody got any ideas on how to drive the servo from the Revolution receiver to achieve this result?

Regards
Peter Lucas
MyLocoSound

gregh

electronics, computers and scratchbuilding
1 Nov 2009
Sydney, Australia
www.members.optusnet.com.au
Best answers
Country flag
Moonraker said:
A friend of mine has done a neat job of making a remote control Kadee uncoupler on a loco. He installed a mico servo under the loco and linked it to the coupling. He modified the Kadee coupling a little so that activating the servo uncouples the train.
The problem is that the loco is battery powered with an Aristocraft Revolution radio control. The intention is that pressing a Revolution function button should cause the servo to move to its limit thereby uncoupling the train. Releasing the button should return the servo to its central position.
Anybody got any ideas on how to drive the servo from the Revolution receiver to achieve this result?
Regards
Peter Lucas
MyLocoSound
Peter,
I don't know what the Revolution 'output' system is. A contact or a transistor switch or what? And what voltage?
Maybe something like this servo tester can be adapted.
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/uh_viewItem.asp?idProduct=17143 < Link To http://www.hobbyking.com/...em.asp?idProduct=17143
Or you could maybe use a 555 timer to generate the servo pulses.
Otherwise, you will need to investigate using a micro controller - I like using Picaxe, which I reckon could do this easy, peasy.
If you decide to investigate further, let me know if you need any help.

JRinTawa

Member of the Wellington Garden Railway Group
25 Oct 2009
Tawa
www.gscalecentral.net
Best answers
Peter there was an article a while back in the NZ Garden Whistle where Lloyd D set up a Revolution to control his Lady Anne servos. Was a bit to technical for me, but I'll still have the issue in PDF form so I'll hunt it out tomorrow and email it to you to unravel the complexities. Hmm and then explain "how to" to me in laymans terms!

Edit - Found it and copy emailed. It can also be found archived here http://www.sandman.org.nz/GardenWhistle/GW2010/GardenWhistleSep2010.pdf < Link To Garden Whistle Sep 2010

Moonraker

Registered
25 Oct 2009
South Australia
Best answers
Country flag
Thanks for the help, guys. I have a lot of homework to do.

Regards
Peter Lucas
MyLocoSound

j garry

Registered
31 Aug 2011
Best answers
Country flag
Peter, Easy just contact Dave Bodnar he makes an inline board so you can activate servos with the revolution. I have two from him, one I use in a 1/32 scale tug boat and the other in a 1/29th scale 250ton RR crane from www.thegalline.com Jack

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3G_FlOu6GpM&feature=fvsr

Moonraker

Registered
25 Oct 2009
South Australia
Best answers
Country flag
Thanks Jack. That looks like the easy solution.

Regards
Peter Lucas
MyLocoSound

JRinTawa

Member of the Wellington Garden Railway Group
25 Oct 2009
Tawa
www.gscalecentral.net
Best answers
Looks like a good solution. Be interested to read how you get on if you use it Peter.

Moonraker

Registered
25 Oct 2009
South Australia
Best answers
Country flag
I have ordered one from Dave Bodnar. He makes them to order so I won't get it for two or three weeks.

I have asked him if it is possible to program the interface so that the servo movement is all driven by one button? I intend using it for a remote control uncoupler on a loco and it would be nice to have the servo move quickly to its limit when the button is pressed and then back to centre when the button is released.

Regards
Peter Lucas
MyLocoSound