Aristocraft Lil' Critter: BP livery

A

Alec K

I have the opportunity to purchase a second-hand Aristocraft Lil' Critter for service on the to-be-reopened Caradon Light Railway!

I am going to arrange a test run at the dealer's, but please could those members who know this model well alert me to anything specific I should be aware of? I know the model is of no known prototype, and a Forum search suggests that it is adapted from other Aristocraft designs, but it's a characterful little machine in its own right.

Advice would be very welcome.

Brixham

No buffers were hurt at this sign
27 Aug 2010
Best answers
Country flag
I've been caught a couple of times by the loco being apparently dead! There's a small on-off switch on the running plate just about where the loco is handled!!

Only 4 wheel pickup and no sliders, so needs clean track to run well

A 3cag group member brought one to run at an event a month ago, only 1 axle was driven, the universal joint could have failed, but I've not him since.

Malcolm

A

Alec K

I've been caught a couple of times by the loco being apparently dead! There's a small on-off switch on the running plate just about where the loco is handled!!

Only 4 wheel pickup and no sliders, so needs clean track to run well

A 3cag group member brought one to run at an event a month ago, only 1 axle was driven, the universal joint could have failed, but I've not him since.

Malcolm
Very helpful indeed, Malcolm - thanks for that!

PhilP

G Scale, 7/8th's, Electronics
5 Jun 2013
Nottingham
Best answers
Country flag
It will probably be quite old, and have had much use??
Check the state of the wheels/treads..
Listen to it running.. The gearboxes do make a noise, but beware if pictures start falling off the wall!
Get to run it in BOTH directions, as slowly as possible. - This should show any drive-train issues.

Spare motors, gear-boxes and the like are very difficult to source..

A

Alec K

It will probably be quite old, and have had much use??
Check the state of the wheels/treads..
Listen to it running.. The gearboxes do make a noise, but beware if pictures start falling off the wall!
Get to run it in BOTH directions, as slowly as possible. - This should show any drive-train issues.

Spare motors, gear-boxes and the like are very difficult to source..
Thank you, Phil, good advice - I spotted it in a display cabinet yesterday during a brief visit but had to dash for a train home so am making a repeat trip on Saturday. The dealer has a suitable test track, and it will be used along the lines you kindly suggest.