ntpntpntp

Registered
24 Oct 2009
UK
Country
United-Kingdom
Best answers
Country flag
Most of my stock has Bachmann buckeye couplers fitted, but I do own a few Aristocraft items and locos. I'm sure those of you who also have both brands will have found like me that the two brands of couplers don't like to "clunk" together, and you have to close both jaws and manually lift one coupler over and into the other to effect a connection.

Having taken a close look at what's going on, It seems to me that the main problem is the difference in the width of the jaws preventing a Bachmann coupler from entering far enough into an Aristo to allow the knuckles to be pushed close enough to click.
(left=Bachmann, right=Aristocraft)
7d3c03cf8bde4fb89c01a782d72629fd.jpg

I've found that widening the Aristocraft coupler jaw by simply cutting away aprox. 1.5mm from the side away from the knuckle mechanism is enough to allow the two brands to connect properly. A junior hacksaw does the job nicely!
(left=after, right=before)
392e672fa30e4dd4992ab653adef0732.jpg

ac13d4adbd3d4498baf8973db2338c0e.jpg
b265acc99e8f4180be2ef6f40ff2f586.jpg

Here's the two coupled up after the mod to the Aristocraft coupler:
195b165b23fc4ef894982329830a4fef.jpg

And here's two Aristocraft couplers together - the extra width of the jaw (even when both couplers are modified) seems to have no detremental effect even on my S curves etc.
102b43f87ee54a26ac027d69890e4ab2.jpg

This little mod saves me having to purchase extra Bachmann couplers and change out otherwise perfectly adequate Aristocraft couplers.

Richie

Rio Grande Railroad , Mountain biking , Gardening
24 Oct 2009
Albrighton West Midlands
Best answers
Thanks for the great tip will give this ago as it's a problem i have had with Aristo couplings :clap:

ntpntpntp

Registered
24 Oct 2009
UK
Country
United-Kingdom
Best answers
Country flag
Richie said:
Thanks for the great tip will give this ago as it's a problem i have had with Aristo couplings :clap:

Do please report back how you get on, and whether you encounter any problems? It's working well for me on my line which has minimum R3 curves, but of course others may have different track formations that may show up issues that I don't see.

Richie

24 Oct 2009
Albrighton West Midlands
Best answers
ntpntpntp said:
Richie said:

Do please report back how you get on, and whether you encounter any problems? It's working well for me on my line which has minimum R3 curves, but of course others may have different track formations that may show up issues that I don't see.
Will do :clap:

spike

It's me
24 Oct 2009
Upper Drakes Bottom
www.weathersatellite.info
Best answers
Country flag
Nice one.......will have a go myself.
Now I wonder about USA trains type.....have all three and its a nightmare.

chris m01

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Birmingham, UK
Best answers
Country flag
Great tip, I'll give it a try and see if it works with Aristo to USAT. I suspect the height difference may be an issue.

I mostly USAT and Bachmann couplers and find they work fine together.

I tend not to buy Aristo wagons because they have plastic wheels and the couplings aren't compatible with my USAT and BAchmann stock but I do have quite a few Aristo locos. At the moment my policy for these locos is to replace the Aristo coupling with a USAT one. Unfortunately this is not a simple exchange because the heights are different. One method I used was to fabricate a new metal mounting bar and screw a USAT coupling to the end. The other is to undo the Aristo coupling head from its plastic mounting bar, saw off most of the plastic bar from a USAT coupling, drill a hole in what is left of the bar and screw it to the underside of the Aristo bar. Both methods have been successfully tested with 32 bogie wagons in tow so I would conclude that they work.

chris m01

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Birmingham, UK
Best answers
Country flag
Now I wonder about USA trains type.....have all three and its a nightmare.

Most of my wagons are in sets - timber, box cars, hoppers etc. In some sets I have two wagons with USAT couplers at one end and hook & loop at the other, the timber train also has a pair with a USAT coupler one end and USAT the other. That way any lvisiting oco can pull at least one of my trains.

The Devonian

Registered
17 Nov 2009
South Hams
Best answers
Country flag
  An interesting modification.   Too late for me, besides which having two left hands hacksaws are not one of my favourite tools.  ;) 

Having sold off some of my Bachmann (1:22.5) and only purchased Aristo over the last couple of years or so. the majority of my stock now is 27 Aristo/20 Bachmann) plus 6 Aristo locos/2 Bachmann.   

A short while ago, when I saw Aristo coupler packs at a very good (old) price on Garden Rail Centres web site, I decided to change out all the Bachmann couplers to Aristo ones which saves any incompatibility issues.   The old Bachmann couplers and the bottle opener types that come with most new stock soon find a buyer.   Future stock will only be Aristo.

I have found, however, over the last four years or so, that Bachmann couplers tend to have a weakness which can result in them opening thus breaking the train in two parts.  I have never had this misfortune happen with Aristo couplers. 

I must admit it was a very simple thing to remove a Bachmann car out of a line of other Bachmann cars just by a vertical lift but losing this option was, I felt, a small price to pay for a more secure consist.

I had intended to convert all stock to the new Aristo Kuppler but due to the slow down in sales this item is delayed in production.   I have noticed, and read, that  many dealers/stores are reluctant to carry large stocks these days and most manufacturers reluctant to spend money on production which may sit for a while in a warehouse.  I can't say that I blame them!  

KeithT

Hillwalking, chickens and - err - garden railways.
24 Oct 2009
Nr Manchester
Best answers
Country flag
That is a nice simple solution that even I should be able to manage without botching.
Initially I had no problems with USAT. LGB, Aristo and Bachmann knuckle couplers. Once coiupled they stayed that way but recently I have had numerous disconnects.
Perhaps this will remedy that.

Richie

24 Oct 2009
Albrighton West Midlands
Best answers
ntpntpntp said:
Richie said:

Hi
Sorry it's been a while , had ago at the Aristo coupling tonight with good results both Bachmann and Aristo couped
together ok with no problems on the corners .:clap: Also tried a USA Trains but no luck with these .
9c25129abf284a6098cb395063d8ad79.jpg

ntpntpntp

Registered
24 Oct 2009
UK
Country
United-Kingdom
Best answers
Country flag
Hi Richie

glad to see you've had success with the mod.

I've not tried it on my one and only USAT wagon, I replaced the couplings on that with Bachmann couplers anyway due to height differences etc.