voodoopenguin

Retired
20 Jul 2015
Blofield, Norfolk
Country
Norfolk-Island
Best answers
Country flag
Found this in the bottom of a box, must have arrived a long time ago in a job lot of stuff. No instructions but I think I can guess. Connect two wires to where it says Track to the track and feed in a suitable DC to where it says 12-22V DC. If nothing is broken will the handset automatically connect to the power box or is there some special handshake I should use? Can I assume that I can use this with any DC track powered trains of any scale? The handset says Basic but basic is the level I am at and have no desire to immerse myself in DCC with sounds and all that. Anything I should be aware of?
P1090209.jpg

P1090208.jpg

Cheers

Paul

PhilP

G Scale, 7/8th's, Electronics
5 Jun 2013
Nottingham
Best answers
Country flag
Theoretically, yes.. And most analogue loco's will run OK..

voodoopenguin

Retired
20 Jul 2015
Blofield, Norfolk
Country
Norfolk-Island
Best answers
Country flag
Thank you. Is there a special transformer that it connects to, I'm looking at that round plug on the end of the wires?

Paul

PhilP

G Scale, 7/8th's, Electronics
5 Jun 2013
Nottingham
Best answers
Country flag
Thank you. Is there a special transformer that it connects to, I'm looking at that round plug on the end of the wires?

Paul
Not really..
But it does need to be DC.

8 Mar 2014
San Diego
Country
Armenia
www.elmassian.com
Best answers
Country flag
And it won't work well under 12v.... Also I believe it can be damaged with wrong polarity... pretty sure plus is in the center...

manual says max is 2.5 amps, but to only use 2 amp loco... I have a copy of the manual if you want it...

Greg

voodoopenguin

Retired
20 Jul 2015
Blofield, Norfolk
Country
Norfolk-Island
Best answers
Country flag
I will search for a suitable power unit in the next few days, thank you.

Paul

Dan

Registered
28 Jan 2010
Eastern MA, USA
Best answers
Country flag
I measured mine and did not detect a diode. I have the B unit at 27.045 mhz. These units are on a CB channel and the letter tells us the frequency and the transmitter and receiver must match letters.

Wobbleboxer

Registered
27 Oct 2009
Northants, UK
Best answers
Country flag
I have one of those, with a power supply if you’re interested. The controller may be useful as a spare. PM me if you want to discuss image.jpg

DylanMuttley

Registered
13 Jan 2022
Belfast
Best answers
Country flag
hi does anyone have one of these for sale as mine seems to be faulty. Works ok but when you take your finger of the speed controller the speed immediately starts to drop and train eventually stops. Can anyone suggest a fix or have one for sale. Many thx.

Reactions: 1 user
8 Mar 2014
San Diego
Country
Armenia
www.elmassian.com
Best answers
Country flag
You do realize this is a 1 amp system? I guess you must since you have one.

Have not heard of this issue on this system. Keep searching eBay and maybe you have UK Facebook pages like our "G Scale Swap and Shop" ones?

Shipping from the US will exceed cost/value of system.

Greg

DylanMuttley

Registered
13 Jan 2022
Belfast
Best answers
Country flag
Thx Greg - yep I have the Pennsylvania starter set. Worked fine for a number of years now, but when I took it out over Christmas I noticed this issue. Really strange - when I put a meter across the tracks with the train running you can actually see the voltage dropping with nothing being pressed on the remote. When I press the speed-up button on the remote the voltage starts to climb again - when I stop pressing it immediately starts to fall. Think the issue is with the receiver unit and will keep looking for a replacement. Noticed this on ebay: think it might be a suitable substitute, but no real idea to be honest.

Piko RC 5a Receiver with Pocket Remote G Gauge 35040 :​

1642193671455.png

JimmyB

Now retired - trains and fishing
23 Feb 2018
Weston-super-Mare
www.tumble-down-falls.co.uk
Best answers
Country flag
I have moved to the new Revolution, and Fine Scale Brass are the UK importer, and the owner (John Riley) is very helpful at getting the items he does not hold in stock.

DylanMuttley

Registered
13 Jan 2022
Belfast
Best answers
Country flag
Thx for suggestions - took a look but quite expensive compared to piko - just after very basic as its still working, just a bit annoying. Think I may also try the piko option.

Irwin

8 Mar 2014
San Diego
Country
Armenia
www.elmassian.com
Best answers
Country flag
There are a lot more features in the Revolution, so you need to compare apples to apples.

Since the unit in question was "found", I would assume the goal is a cheap way to make it work.

Keep watching eBay for one of these, but that's going to be rare... but they do turn up.... but mostly in the USA... again not worth shipping..

Greg