Aristo Points

5H17

Railways and Diesel preservation, American cars
25 Mar 2010
Sutton Coldfield
www.fourfooteightandahalf.com
Best answers
Am I right in thinking that Aristo points are non-isolating? i.e. both normal and reverse positions are permanently live?
I laid some yesterday for the first time, and tested this morning. Being used to N gauge insulfrog stuff, I was kinda expecting the loop to isolate and it didnt!

Had one engine on each route as well. Could have been carnage. :rofl:

Steve

I didn’t say it was your fault, I said I was b
1 Jan 1970
D.I.L.L.I.G.A.F
Best answers
Country flag
Yep your correct Sir

5H17

25 Mar 2010
Sutton Coldfield
Best answers
Well ill be jiggered. You learn something new every day.
Are LGB points the same? Just curious..cause I have a couple of those in storage ready to go in as well.

Neil Robinson

Registered
24 Oct 2009
N W Leicestershire
Best answers
Country flag
5H17 said:
Well ill be jiggered. You learn something new every day.
Are LGB points the same? Just curious..cause I have a couple of those in storage ready to go in as well.

Yep, LGB points are non-isolating.

yb281

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Worcestershire
www.facebook.com
Best answers
But the good news is that (unlike most small scale points), you don't have to supply power only from the toe end of the point, power can be fed from either direction.

5H17

25 Mar 2010
Sutton Coldfield
Best answers
Well that simplifies my wiring plan somewhat then :clap:

Wobbleboxer

Registered
27 Oct 2009
Northants, UK
Best answers
Country flag
Peco are non-isolating too.

chris m01

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Birmingham, UK
Best answers
Country flag
Well that simplifies my wiring plan somewhat then
I'm not sure that it does. If you are using analogue control and you want to isolate a loco you need to add isolator joiners and an electrical switch mechanism.

chris m01

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Birmingham, UK
Best answers
Country flag

Rob s

trains, R/C models, 4x4 off roading, motor sport
24 Oct 2009
West Midlands
Best answers
Chris M said:
Re wiring to allow isolation of tracks.

The simplest way is shown here - http://www.gscalecentral.net/m41159
A more complicated/ expensive solution is here - http://www.gscalecentral.net/m22754

If any mods read this is there a place where reference information like this could be kept? This particular question does keep cropping up.

Hi '5H17' I used part of Chris's diagrams shown in these posts to set up my little lay out when i first started out (and knew even less about trains than my Gran did),
and it works a treat, So thank you Chris M for posting it

I now have a lot more track and it covers a much bigger area and it still works,
I would like to use something similar to the bottom half of the diagram shown in m22754 to automate a few of the more remote points.
The diagram is very simple and easy to follow (thanks again for that Chris) but in it you show a point controller that is controlled by the ABCDE buttons on the Train enginer
( I assume ).
My question is what is the 'Point Controller' ?? I think i have all the other parts needed but am not sure what i need to use as the 'PC'.
My apologies in advance to '5H17' if this is a bit of a thread hi-jack
Any advice would be most appreciated

yb281

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Worcestershire
www.facebook.com
Best answers
Rob s said:
I now have a lot more track and it covers a much bigger area and it still works,
I would like to use something similar to the bottom half of the diagram shown in m22754 to automate a few of the more remote points.
The diagram is very simple and easy to follow (thanks again for that Chris) but in it you show a point controller that is controlled by the ABCDE buttons on the Train enginer
( I assume ).
My question is what is the 'Point Controller' ?? I think i have all the other parts needed but am not sure what i need to use as the 'PC'.
My apologies in advance to '5H17' if this is a bit of a thread hi-jack
Any advice would be most appreciated

This is the Aristo point (switch) controller Rob. I use one with the Train Engineer, it's very good.

http://www.dragon-gscale.co.uk/cre-55475-remote-switch-accessory-unit-control-5-switches-2278-p.asp < Link To http://www.dragon-gscale....-5-switches-2278-p.asp

Rob s

trains, R/C models, 4x4 off roading, motor sport
24 Oct 2009
West Midlands
Best answers

yb281

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Worcestershire
www.facebook.com
Best answers
Rob s said:
yb281 said:
This is the Aristo point (switch) controller Rob. I use one with the Train Engineer, it's very good.

http://www.dragon-gscale.co.uk/cre-55475-remote-switch-accessory-unit-control-5-switches-2278-p.asp

Oh thanks for that, don't you just love it when things are so simple :cool:

But at nearly £70 - 5% ouch, does any one have a second hand one for sale :callme:

I assume this can just sit in the dry near the TE receiver, with just the wires leading of to the points.

Yes, that's correct Rob. They do come up on the forum and on ebay occasionaly when people move to "the dark side". There is a slightly cheaper version, but it will only control 2 points (plus 3 other accesories). Also available from the Dragon man.

stockers

Trains, aircraft, models, walking, beer, travel
24 Oct 2009
Nr. Ashford, Kent. England.
Best answers
Country flag
Rob s said:

I assume this can just sit in the dry near the TE receiver, with just the wires leading of to the points.

Mine lived in a model building close to the pointwork for a couple of years with no problems. Now MTS and the LGB version for MTS lives there - again - no problems as yet.

marshman

Registered
9 Feb 2010
north norfolk
Best answers
Country flag
Talking about simple, I use LGB isolating joiners & then clip a wire across using small crocodile clips.Take one off when loco is in section & it will be isolated.