Aristo Mallet worry

WKDOR

Registered
26 Oct 2009
Welsh Marches
Best answers
Country flag
Evening All!

Well I thought I had read just about everything ever written about the Aristo Mallet but it didn't prepare me for this:

Rear%20Motor%20block%20LHS%201.JPG

[/img]

Just purchased (history unknown) 21601 dated 2006 (yes I know, first run).

It looked a bit sorry and needs a very good clean. After oiling all round, it actually runs nicely with test 19.2v battery. Forward without lights its drawing 2.4 amps falling to 1.6 after 60 secs. Forward with lights more like 2.8 amps falling to 1.5.

But what is this yawning hole at the front of the rear motor block?

Rear%20Motor%20block%20LHS%202.JPG

[/img]

Rear%20Motor%20block%20RHS%201.JPG

[/img]

A design fault? Manufacturing/assembly fault? Bodged repair? The material on the sides looks like black insulating tape! Its certainly not weather-proof.

I tried to compare it with the front motor block. Although its difficult to see, it also looks as if there is some daylight between the inside and the back of the front cover plate.

Can any Mallet owners please tell me if I should I be worried? Very? Or just happy?

Many Thanks

Mike

WKDOR

Registered
26 Oct 2009
Welsh Marches
Best answers
Country flag
Thanks very much indeed Terry.

That is exactly what I was hoping you would say!

Mike

Clive Elesmore

Registered
17 Dec 2009
Guernsey, Channel Islands
Best answers
It is exactly the same as my first run one. I have had no problems todate though only limited running. I believe some people had the odd loose driving wheel to tighten. The only other thing I remember was people tying to run it on to small radius curves. Supplied by KGR, excellent service (usual disclaimers).

Clive

GarryH

Registered
30 Oct 2009
Crowborough East Sussex
Best answers
I'm not so sure.....................
9a159dda6a9d4e6584d69d8229950128.jpg

I have attached a pic which shows a much better fit, I can't believe Aristo would leave this so poor on a model of this stature. I found it on web site as per this link but not 100% sure it is the same motor block.

http://www.rayman4449.dynip.com/Aristocraft_Mallet_Modifications_page.htm

Still a brilliant loco!!
I am sure others will be able to confirm as well..............will be iterested. :thinking:

GarryH

Registered
30 Oct 2009
Crowborough East Sussex
Best answers
Always happy to bow to superior knowledge. Tac

As you say Tac, having poked around the other sites it seems a common complaint.

...................I'll get me coat :D

SteveF.kile

Registered
20 Jan 2010
Deer Park, Washington, USA
Best answers
As tac has said, this is a common problem with first run Aristo Mallets. Chalk it up to poor design. It doesn't affect the running. A piece of black electrical tape keeps the dirt and rocks out...:D