Now retired - trains and fishing
23 Feb 2018
Weston-super-Mare
www.tumble-down-falls.co.uk
Best answers
Country flag
So has it been wet?
OR
Has a set of batteries leaked at some point in the past??
:think:
Definably looks like water corrosion, and not a battery leak.

PhilP

G Scale, 7/8th's, Electronics
5 Jun 2013
Nottingham
Best answers
Country flag
Definably looks like water corrosion, and not a battery leak.

If it has been damp, and had power available, some of the track might have disappeared by electrolytic action.. - You might be able to see where the track used to be? Else an A-B comparison with your good unit.*

*Assuming you feel confident you can take the working one apart. Put it back together, and it still work..

PhilP

G Scale, 7/8th's, Electronics
5 Jun 2013
Nottingham
Best answers
Country flag
I would suggest going through Greg, of this parish..
Though whether that sort of IP would be forth-coming from Crest, I am not able to say.

Greg?

beavercreek

Travel, Art, Theatre, Music, Photography, Trains
24 Oct 2009
Colchester, United Kingdom
www.facebook.com
Best answers
Country flag
I have tried all sorts of 'Googlefu' Jimmy, but nothing remotely as detailed as you want is available.
I have a feeling that it may only be Greg who has any chance of getting it, if it exists.

I would have thought that the radio guys could have used the adjustable pots together with the calibration equipment that they would have to find the frequency etc.
But I am afraid that my knowledge of that side of things is limited at best :confused:

beavercreek

24 Oct 2009
www.facebook.com
Best answers
Country flag

beavercreek

24 Oct 2009
www.facebook.com
Best answers
Country flag

Sean.

Hmmmm
5 Oct 2017
Boston & Cocagne NB (not enough)
Best answers
Country flag
Update ..... from Don Sweet
Hi Sean, the REVO is doing well. Reliability is great and so are Sales. Navin is available for any kind of REVO and Aristo Craft service. Call or email him. No web site for service.

Navin's phone is 201-565-6069. email: crestelectronics2@yahoo.com

Hopefully he can help

8 Mar 2014
San Diego
Country
Armenia
www.elmassian.com
Best answers
Country flag
I have never seen a schematic (you called a circuit diagram) but that alone does not necessarily indicate the function, nor the "tuning" procedure for the units.

I'd look for another used unit... too bad you are not in the US, more available. here!

Greg

Zerogee

Clencher's Bogleman
25 Oct 2009
North Essex
Best answers
Country flag
As far as I understand it, an eBay "no returns" policy simply means you can't send it back just because you decide you don't like it, or don't want it after all.... if there are actual faults that were not specifically described in the listing, then you should still have full comeback as "not as described" (eg: it doesn't work!). So if you buy something that is listed as working, you're fairly safe and should get your money back if it is faulty.

Jon.

JimmyB

23 Feb 2018
Weston-super-Mare
Best answers
Country flag
Progress report, email Navin but awaiting response, however the Vintage Radio forum suggest RC Hobby Store (Cornwall), who I have emailed and had a positive response, need to get the Tx and a couple of Rx (to test against) now to them for assessment (which i understand to be free!).

JimmyB

23 Feb 2018
Weston-super-Mare
Best answers
Country flag
No response for Navin!!
However, the workshop I sent it to has come back to me and informs me it cannot be repaired:

I have looked at the transmitter and indeed the standby current is not turning off fully and leaking 4-8mA when it should be zero.
The unit does transmit, however the issue I believe is the frequency. I measured it at 29.4MHz and not 27MHz . The frequency is fixed and not adjustable on board.
Under magnification there is corrosion on the PCB around the RF section caused by damp storage most likely.
So the prognosis and its not a good one.
The corrosion on the RF module and some PCB traces which have been eaten away is affecting the frequency of operation.

I would still like a spare transmitter, if anybody knows of one without going across the pond it would be appreciated.

8 Mar 2014
San Diego
Country
Armenia
www.elmassian.com
Best answers
Country flag
Yes, you are in Barney .... I have a list of all the 27 MHz frequencies at the bottom of this page (which might have other helpful information)

27 MHz Train Engineer

with "traces eaten away" it's time to get another unit... keep this one for parts (display maybe)...

Greg

dunnyrail

DOGS, Garden Railways, Steam Trains, Jive Dancing,
Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
St.Neots Cambridgeshire UK
Best answers
Country flag
Have to say Jimmy not quite sure why you are persisting with the Aristo. Yes it can be good to have a wireless set up and the Aristo will certainly give you that when working. But may I suggest another route?

A good BatterySetup will work just as well for Track Power as on Battery Control for instance the Fosworks Onmi Transmitter and Long Aerial Reciever will give you up to 800 Metre Range meaning that the kit can be inside with long wires to the layout. Coupled to a Fosworks supplied Cobra ESC-165 Controller rated at 6-24 Volts up to 14 Amp peak wil give you all the Power you need for your layout. After all you only need to substitute a Power Supply for Batteries and you are away. Plus should you at some stage decide to go BatteryPowered you will be familiar with the setup.

How is that guys, suggesting battery kit without trashing the concept of Track Power?

Neil Robinson

Registered
24 Oct 2009
N W Leicestershire
Best answers
Country flag
A good BatterySetup will work just as well for Track Power as on Battery Control for instance the Fosworks Onmi Transmitter.....................
I suspect that your suggestion would feed a form of pulsed power to the track. There is an opinion that some locos don't like this and smooth DC power is required, hence the linear/PWC switch on the Train Engineer.

beavercreek

24 Oct 2009
www.facebook.com
Best answers
Country flag
I think that Jimmy, after buying into the TE system, would probably like to stay with it and he is just trying to get the 'spare' handset working as a back-up.
The TE system as a whole is a good one and, although it has been superseded by others, it still works very well and is generally bulletproof (obviously except for damp conditions with the transmitter PCB !).

I have found another handset during my 'big clearout' of my workshop but cannot say if it is working or not Jimmy.... I will message you....

Last edited:

stockers

Trains, aircraft, models, walking, beer, travel
24 Oct 2009
Nr. Ashford, Kent. England.
Best answers
Country flag
I liked my TE. I did eventually go DCC but the system worked well.