Aristo Craft GP-40

electricity_bill

Registered
11 Feb 2010
Best answers
Country flag
Hello
Acouple of days ago I posted the following on the Locomotive section-

I have just unpacked my brand new Aristo GP-40 (Art-23500-01) which I bought on EBay recently. I put it on my DCC controlled track which uses the Masooth system and set it to run in analogue mode. I switched off the smoke unit and switched the motor on via track power and the lights to on. It was making the high pitched hum that you normally get when running an analogue loco on DCC.
I was surprised to see that it was pulling about 0.7amp at standstill and 2.3amp running alone. I thought that the current consumption was too high so I switched off fearing a fault and headed for my PC.
Any ideas?
Bill

As usual, you were all very helpful and informative. I found out that there is a type fault with this loco and following contact with Tate at Aristo, the trucks have been removed and will shortly be wending their way to to New Jersey for repair/replacement. This means that I now have the loco in parts and will probably convert it to DCC over the next few weeks. As I probably will not have a plug in option available, does any body have the wiring diagram for this loco?

Thanks
Bill

ntpntpntp

Registered
24 Oct 2009
UK
Country
United-Kingdom
Best answers
Country flag

electricity_bill

Registered
11 Feb 2010
Best answers
Country flag
Hello Nick
The link was given to me yesterday and started to alert me to the GP 40 problem. The wiring diagram would be a help though.
Bill

electricity_bill

Registered
11 Feb 2010
Best answers
Country flag
Thanks again gents. Now thinking of installing a sound system. The impenitrable Aristocraft/ Dallee site recommeneds the EMD Wabco E-2 unit. Anybody any experience with this?
Bill

Tim Brien

Registered
29 May 2011
Best answers
Bill,
if sound quality is totally unimportant, or you are totally deaf or you have really deep pockets then the Dalle is the sound for you. If you want reasonable sound or better then ignore anything that Dallee has on offer. Look elsewhere.

As you posted in the digital DCC section then QSI has a plug and play board that is both motor, function, light control and sound and manufacture a plug and play interface board for Aristo locomotives. I believe Greg likes QSI so look to his website for guidance.