Aristo boxcars - how can I cure the wobble?

railwayman198

Registered
24 Oct 2009
East London
Best answers
Country flag
I have a dozen or more boxcars from all the major manufacturers. Most of my Aristo boxcars wobble as they go along. They seldom get run because of this. How can I fix this?

funandtrains

Registered
20 Sep 2011
Croydon, Surrey
Best answers
Country flag
Have you fitted metal wheels?

railwayman198

Registered
24 Oct 2009
East London
Best answers
Country flag
funandtrains said:

No, they still have plastic wheels

3Valve

Railways; Air cooled VW's; Soul Music
24 Oct 2009
Shropshire
Best answers
Country flag
railwayman198 said:
funandtrains said:

As per Steve's hint, try fitting metal wheels in the first instance.

This puts more weight at the bogies keeping the centre of gravity as low as poss. If you're concerned about the cost of fitting metal wheels to the whole rake, just do one or two first to see if this improves matters.

steven large

USA G SCALES OF 30 TO 50S THEMES.ASLO KIT BASHING
15 Dec 2009
Best answers
i ave the same problem with it as u ave to exchange the plastic wheels into
metal wheels so if it bit wobbles as u can put some lead weight on both end inside
the boxcars to see how it go......cheers

themole

tramways
25 Oct 2009
In a burrow.
Best answers
Country flag
Fit a thin felt washer to the bogie pivot thats as well as any other metal washer it will act as a damper also a spot of oil on the washer. I have done this ....it works! :clap: Alyn

Geoff the garden nav

Aristocraft locos & rolling stock, mid C20th to co
31 Oct 2009
Leicester, UK
Best answers
themole said:
Fit a thin felt washer to the bogie pivot thats as well as any other metal washer it will act as a damper also a spot of oil on the washer. I have done this ....it works! :clap: Alyn

Hi, I run all aristocraft rolling stock and have successfully used thin metal washers to reduce this wobble but thin felt sounds like a really good idea, what sort of felt do you use and where do you get it from?
Geoff the garden navvy

themole

tramways
25 Oct 2009
In a burrow.
Best answers
Country flag
Thin felt as in "fuzzy felts" or from a dress makers shop. Cut into washers bingo! :clap:

railwayman198

Registered
24 Oct 2009
East London
Best answers
Country flag
Thanks for the suggestions! I am ashamed to say that I haven't found time to try any of them yet - but I will and will let you know how I get on.

Gizzy

A gentleman, a scholar, and a railway modeller....
26 Oct 2009
Cambridgeshire
www.gscalecentral.net
Best answers
Country flag
3Valve said:
railwayman198 said:
funandtrains said:

As per Steve's hint, try fitting metal wheels in the first instance.

This puts more weight at the bogies keeping the centre of gravity as low as poss. If you're concerned about the cost of fitting metal wheels to the whole rake, just do one or two first to see if this improves matters.
Metal wheels also seem to keep the rail head cleaner.

Nearly all my (predominately LGB) stock has been fitted with Bachmann/Lilliput metal wheelsets.

Anyone want to buy a lot of LGB plastic wheels....

chris m01

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Birmingham, UK
Best answers
Country flag
As I see it the metal wheels will help keep things on the track but should not be expected to cure the wobble as on my Aristos it is the body wobbling not the bogies. Washers sound like a good idea. My cure for this problem was to avoid buying any more Aristo wagons.

steven large

USA G SCALES OF 30 TO 50S THEMES.ASLO KIT BASHING
15 Dec 2009
Best answers
pm u for the plastic wheels gizzy

beavercreek

Travel, Art, Theatre, Music, Photography, Trains
24 Oct 2009
Colchester, United Kingdom
www.facebook.com
Best answers
Country flag
The wobble on the Aristo wagons is due to the slightly concave surface at the mounting point on the bolster. The felt washer is a very good remedy or also one made form thin styrene sheet works a treat. Lubricate it with thick oil (plastic non destructive like the sort from the 'Easylube' set) and away you go, cured for micro cost.
Some of the aristo wagons are really good so you would miss out on a some nice models if you were to avoid them when a quick remedy is very effective.

The wonderful AML (division of Accucraft) 1:29 cars also had the same problem which spoilt a particularly fine set of models. the answer.....washers much like the suggestions above....now they would have been a shame to miss especially as they were going for $40 each instead of 100!

The Devonian

Registered
17 Nov 2009
South Hams
Best answers
Country flag
From what I have seen a lot of 1:1 rolling stock often has a wobble when on the move. Often this is accentuated by poor track and switches - both in 1:1 and models. In my view it is a prototypical event.;)
However, the felt (or soft ) washer is the simplest cure if the wobble is annoying.

Richie

Rio Grande Railroad , Mountain biking , Gardening
24 Oct 2009
Albrighton West Midlands
Best answers
I have a Aristo stock car that wobbles really bad have replaced the wheels with metal Bachmann one's but never stopped the wobble , like Alan has said you only have to see usa train's on the move to watch the wagons wobble , I put the wobble to my stock car down to the movement of cattle in the car :D

supagav

USA standard gauge in the late 1960's, in 1:29th.
30 Oct 2009
Oban, Scotland
www.facebook.com
Best answers
Also just a quick thought...

The washer is the best idea I think but here's another that might work. If you remove the trucks you will see two small raised pieces of plastic on each side of each bolster which are supposed to limit the sidewaya movement of the trucks. I guess with a little piece of styrene on each these could be increased and that would further limit the wobble. I've never tried it myself but I was just working on an older Aristo car last night and it got me thinking...

Oh, and of course the metal wheels are a complete must. Apart from anything the added weight they give the car is an absolute necessity for smooth running.

beavercreek

Travel, Art, Theatre, Music, Photography, Trains
24 Oct 2009
Colchester, United Kingdom
www.facebook.com
Best answers
Country flag
Even though I posted an idea for styrene washers to add to 'themole's idea of felt washers, there is one caveat.
If your track has some side to side (lateral) undulations or single rail changes in symmetry then be careful of packing the bolster either with washers or with 'supergav''s ridge increase.
If all ability to 'rock' is taken out, then the bogies will not track imperfect track and you will definitely have derails, metal wheels or not!