Aristo Ally

WKDOR

Registered
26 Oct 2009
Welsh Marches
Best answers
Country flag
Has anyone seen or laid the new-ish Aristocraft aluminium track?

Its code 332 and intended for battery/steam operators - and also about half the price of brass.

My Question is Will it ever weather? - I can't find any pix yet.

Mike

Gizzy

A gentleman, a scholar, and a railway modeller....
26 Oct 2009
Cambridgeshire
www.gscalecentral.net
Best answers
Country flag
It will oxidize, hence its recommendation for battery or live steam.

The oxidisation becomes an insulating layer, stopping electrickery getting to the wheels and skates of electrickery powered locos.

Kind of like a weathering, but white/greyish I think?

If you are a live steam or battery man then it sounds like a good buy....

WKDOR

Registered
26 Oct 2009
Welsh Marches
Best answers
Country flag
One comment I saw was that its too shiny and doesn't weather.

Can't believe that it won't weather given the quantity of weather we get in the Wild West.

pugwash

impecunious pirate
Staff member
GSC Moderator
17 Nov 2009
Luxembourg
Best answers
Country flag
Aluminium is one of those rare metals which oxidises immediately in the presence of air, consequently what we see as aluminium is in fact aluminium oxide, a dull mid grey metallic colour. So the answer to your question is it might go more dull, but the colour will stay the same i.e. grey and not rusty.
Guess what offset printing plates are made of...

pjti

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Best answers
I bought 48 x 30cm from US just as brass went through the roof. Delivered express cost me about £80 - €120 (in those days). I thought I had recieved an empty box, seriously lightweight. The idea was for sidings, steam/battery power or possibly a portable layout. In the end I have used it as a temporary layout, just to see if my "plan" would work.

I can say that after 5 months (maybe more) outside it is still very bright compared to my Aristo brass which has weathered nicely. There is oxide present but it is not exactly white powdery more silvery grey and quite hard ( I think aluminium oxide is used as a blasting media and also "sandpaper"). Must admit to not having tried running track power lately so cannot say if it needs a good scrub first.

I will say that the fishplates are pretty weak in my opinion, they bend very easily and 3 or 4 sections joined together have a significant sag when you lift them up. There is also a fair bit of corrosion if you join to dissimilar (ie. brass) track , a bit of your coppaslip or graphite would be good here.

The Devonian

Registered
17 Nov 2009
South Hams
Best answers
Country flag
I am considering replacing the brass track in my storage shed and possibly other less used spurs, with Aristo aluminium track.  The shed tracks are under cover so I think this track will be ideal for its intended use.

Those running using battery power only may find it very good and economical but I do hear that it is not as strong as stainless steel or brass and therefore care is needed where clumsy feet might be present. 

pugwash

impecunious pirate
Staff member
GSC Moderator
17 Nov 2009
Luxembourg
Best answers
Country flag
Too true, aluminium is very soft, especially in these size and gauges. If something has to pass over use a different metal.
Mind you, if it does get trashed it is 100% recyclable so your green consciense stays clean :D