Are You thinking about going 3D HD TV or video cam ?

ntpntpntp

Registered
24 Oct 2009
UK
Country
United-Kingdom
Best answers
Country flag
Unfortunately I seem to be one of those who simply cannot tolerate the flickering of any of the 3D systems (and I've tried out a few of the shop demos). I'm also particularly sensitive to things like flickering striplights, and old CRT PC monitors running at anything less than 85Hz (which was really annoying when our offices used to be full of 'em).

So for me the 3D stuff is a gimmick that I'll pass on, but have to admit I do appreciate full 1080p HD on my tv. Really enjoyed those youtubes of Ffestiniog.

Tony

Model railways
28 Feb 2010
East coast Essex
www.facebook.com
Best answers
55.5 said:
Tony,
You have a lot to answer for!!!!
I've been agonising of late about a new Video Camera and your "Review" of the SD90 convinced me so I went out and bought one.
Havnt really tried it in 2D but in 3D the results are superb!!! I just cant believe it! The playback on my Viera (active) TV beggars belief. Spielberg, Cameron & co had better watch out!!
Might have to part with my LGB Felbahn Loco (see my Avatar) to help finance it (one went on ebay for £200 last week if you can believe it!) but it will be worth it. This kit really DOES do what it says on the tin!
Sorry about that sir... weve been playing over the last few days and its unbeliveable i recomend anyone half thinking about it to get one look forward to seeing some results Roly

Tony

Tony

Model railways
28 Feb 2010
East coast Essex
www.facebook.com
Best answers
Well the camera is incredable so far (as long as you read the book of words) im finding it hard to fault it.... one downsize is working with the size of the files and what to do with them.... i have a Quad core Dell XPS 420 its about 3 years old now and was the canines testicals as far as handling grafics etc was concerned....... its ok editing and viewing the high def video from the cam but id not like to attept it on anything smaller... this 4 minute vid took 18 minuites to save to the harddrive once id played with it then a further 4 hours to upload it to Youtube http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n-RP-KrWCuU
compared to when im editing standard video my PC wont play a clip back seemlesly so you never know if you have the joins (edits correct) untill you have saved it. reminds me of 10 years or so ago when sending a single picture to someone took all day but time and tech moves on and in a few years i dare say this quality will be the norm....... Having said that as far as uploading to you tube is concerned i forget that my broadband connection is shared with 2 teenage laptops and 2 teenage xbox 360s watching sky on the internet and downloading stuff i dont want to know about....also the new telly has just joined the list of internet connects running through my aging router which is where youtube and i player etc is best viewed from...
I cant rate this cam high enough as far as watching on a high def telly is concerned ..... weather in 3D or standard 1080/50p it is seriously better than watching a tv broadcast... the colours are stunning the depth is out of this world.....
It must have something agaisnt it i hear you ask................ well maybe.... im not a techy and only just coming to grips with this stuff....but....... it doesnt like something moving to fast across the screen it seems to blur far to easyerly and i think its something to do with the number of frames per second........... i think it may (to save on processing power) repeat parts of a previous frame that hasnt moved
and if you look at two consecutive frames not much changes so if some thing does move fast (like a car or a train) the object sometimes appears to jump like one of those flicker books you would make as a child where you draw a stick man on the edge of each page in a slightly different position..
but to be honest we are still talking unbelieveable mega quailty HD 3D from a box not bigger than a toilet roll that costs less than the average service on a ford mundayo and for most normal recording it seriously cant be beaten

BTW Did i say i love this camera........:clap::clap::clap::clap::clap:

Tony

beavercreek

Travel, Art, Theatre, Music, Photography, Trains
24 Oct 2009
Colchester, United Kingdom
www.facebook.com
Best answers
Country flag
Get a mac and never look back!

As you know Tony I have worked supporting the ICT industry (both educational and commercial) and found that the Mac was always far, far more reliable and capable than any of the PC variants. Although it used to seem more expensive, you got a lot for the money but it is not much more expensive now when you really compare like for like.
Sure the top most 'turbo charged Hokey Kokey 2000 blitzcrieg' would be faster but all the problems with card drivers, adding ports, software incompatibility with the version of the Windows OS etc always led to tears when the PC was heavily used.

Whilst a PC will work quite happily doing its businees it is when you ask big stuff of it that it can show its deficiencies. I am speaking from the experience of looking after thousands of the buggers not just the one in one home.

Then there are the problems of PCs and viruses, even if you have a virus barrier, there are issues if you do not automatically update the virus and malware definitions every day (with the amount and rate of new ones appearing you might need eventually to update more than once a day...industry does). Macs have always had very very few viruses. The PC world have always said for over ten years "Ah but Macs will get viruses someday..you wait" Well I have had to deal with precious little problems that were virus/malware on Macs. Of course if you run Windows on a Mac then you have to take the same precautions as with a normal PC. It is the Mac OS that is more secure.

Macs have been using intel chips so can scan work as purely Apple OS, or purely Windows or run Windows from within the Apple OS (very clever and very usable).

I love technology and I love things that work just as they should, so I know that there are PCs that say that they can do everything to even making your tea and all for a few hundred quid...I know I had one...........but I also know that when reliability and ease of use is concerned ( this is across the thousands of PCs and Macs that I have worked with, or worked on) I would chose a Mac every single time.

There will be people who might come back to this and say that they had a mac and it went wrong or there were issues with a batch of them. The Mac is not infallible but they are streets ahead of PCs when looked at over many many numbers of Macs and PCs. Nearly all of the problems that I had to fix on Macs were user related and not to do with the operating system or the Mac itself

Look for refurbished (Apple warranties) macs on the Apple website, look at 27 inch iMac and get a great deal http://store.apple.com/uk/browse/home/specialdeals/mac. < Link To http://store.apple.com/uk...home/specialdeals/mac. iMac ...great computer, great screen.
I am happy to show you the way that they will transform your computing experience especially making movies, photo manipulation, music, general work etc. And you can run Microsoft Office either as Apple or as Windows if you wish.
I promise you....every person to whom I have shown how the mac really works....none, I repeat none have ever complained that they made the wrong decision when purchasing one (that is a lot of people!)

PCs, if you buy the fastest, most laden with gizmos, add in best quality 27 inch screen, will cost more than what an iMac 27 inch costs. But you will not find it lasts, or as easy an experience to live with. And you will have a large box that is not the best designed thing in the world either. iMac...... one thing on your desktop (besides keyboard and mouse or trackpad) basically the screen which is the computer. The Pc world have tried to copy this approach (Sony get the nearest in design) but they are nowhere near to the original).

Do I sell AppleMacs?...I used to sell AppleMacs..and PCs...guess which I had the most customer problems with..............

Tony

Model railways
28 Feb 2010
East coast Essex
www.facebook.com
Best answers
:) Mike 8D yes i understand where you are coming from but i dont have a PC problem as such.... when i bought my PC it was top of the range ish and it still is a lot more powerfull than most on the market now i took a risk (small one) in buying a Quad core i had to wait while dell decided to fit them.... that a side when my PC was sold home users didnt have HD films to edit and id be very surprised if your Macs are any different if you have a 3 year old top of the range mac somewhere i will lend you my camera and see if it can edit a movie in HD.. at the end of the day its not about reliability its about grafics processing power and im not that bothered i just mention it as part of a review for anyone planning to buy the same camera....... and we are talking editing...... cutting, rearranging, adding tittles, transisions effects etc.....when i plug my camera into my pc it will play raw footage perfectly it just takes time to prossess any changes... clearly because it wasnt designed to do that.... i can copy and burn a whole DVD film in the time it takes to roll a fag but thats proberly not the same as editing

Tony

beavercreek

24 Oct 2009
www.facebook.com
Best answers
Country flag
Ahhh, apologies. I thought that you were thinking about upgrading 8|

An IMac quad core i7 with inbuilt high end AMD Radeon HD 6970M graphics processing has been tested to be one of the fastest at processing 3D footage...BUT any of todays processors (including PC) will take time as the amount of data that full HD 3D footage contains is MASSIVE MAN!
As far as compiling and editing is concerned that is not only the processor but also the software and hard drive (an external RAID array is best with firewire 800 connection) plays a part.
But there is always a server mainframe................................................

Tony

Model railways
28 Feb 2010
East coast Essex
www.facebook.com
Best answers
LOL Roly application not required your already enroled as our north east area organiser :clap: hows your test footage coming along ?

Tony

beavercreek

24 Oct 2009
www.facebook.com
Best answers
Country flag
55.5 said:
If you two decide to start your own Forum, can I join?

Hey Roly...your new namw is 'Roly to record' roll to record...geddit........:D

Tony

Model railways
28 Feb 2010
East coast Essex
www.facebook.com
Best answers
55.5 said:
Yesterdays excursion into 3D was just great!
Today I was going to try some 2D but the weather is murky to say the least.
Will try the software today and see whats on offer there.

i found the included software basic to say the least will try and find something better but differcult to know what without spending silly money

Tony

beavercreek

24 Oct 2009
www.facebook.com
Best answers
Country flag
Hi Tony

Ulead for PC is pretty cheap.

Adobe premiere is probably the best in PC world. In mac world 'Final Cut Pro' is considered one of the best and Premiere has made a return to the Apple OS.

Back in the day when I did semi pro video editing using s-vhs, Hi-8 and betacam fed to the computer ( the radius video cards that handled the video data cost over £1500 on their own let alone the SCSI connected raid arrays which were about £2000!!) the data handling that the computer had to crunch was in proportion to the amount that the ones today have to do with 3D. I used to use Adobe Premiere. Then I upgraded to DV video using firewire and iMovie for rough cuts and Final Cut Pro for...well...final cuts.

DVD compilation and burning stuff is much simpler and a heck of a lot faster although the drives to actually burn 3D or normal bluray discs is still extortionate.

KeithT

Hillwalking, chickens and - err - garden railways.
24 Oct 2009
Nr Manchester
Best answers
Country flag
ntpntpntp said:
Unfortunately I seem to be one of those who simply cannot tolerate the flickering of any of the 3D systems (and I've tried out a few of the shop demos). I'm also particularly sensitive to things like flickering striplights, and old CRT PC monitors running at anything less than 85Hz (which was really annoying when our offices used to be full of 'em).

So for me the 3D stuff is a gimmick that I'll pass on, but have to admit I do appreciate full 1080p HD on my tv. Really enjoyed those youtubes of Ffestiniog.
I have exactly that problem with fluorescents and CRT TV/monitors but, it isn't a problem for me with the 'passive' 3D. These use circular polarised glasses whereas the 'active' ones have what are effectively twin LCD's - one for each eye, which switch on and off alternately