Are there NCE DCC users out there?

DVS4G

RR Dave
25 Apr 2020
Idaho
Best answers
Country flag
I pointed him to your website already. Thanks for having that great resource out there to refer to. I now tell people "Go here and read all this, then we can discuss things". I was looking at it with him when he was asking about which "throttle" he should get. That's where I ran into the change of heart you seemed to have about bridgewerks units. You have this line on your site: "In recent history, a regulation circuit has been added to protect from this" (the overly high voltage that can kill a decoder). And, the fact that you can now "recommend, without reservation" the units. Myself NOT being an engineer of the electrical kind, that's why I was puzzled when up above you said "The output voltage is not regulated"......

However........More careful reading shows me that this thread is from April 2021 and your website has been updated on May 29th, 2021. So we are very recently having a change of heart, it seems. it also appears that you have had a bit of influence on Bridgewerks in this respect.

The only downside is the home mortgage you have to take out to obtain one. You do get what you pay for, of course, and will have this for many years of trouble free use, I would assume. But, I wonder if for just getting started it would be better to snag a good old MRC Power G off ebay for a couple hundred to have as your DC backup.

I like your answer for "What's the best kind of track to buy?" because that was one of the first questions out of his mouth. I answered in a similar fashion, saying, "Well, that depends on what and where and how you want to run these trains." Alas, this was not the simple answer he was hoping for. I tried to explain that when you buy a automobile you have to choose whether you drive it on rutted, rocky backroads or just toddle around town or take it to the Indy 500. It kind of makes a difference what you ought to buy, ha ha....but I digress.....

8 Mar 2014
San Diego
Country
Armenia
www.elmassian.com
Best answers
Country flag
Thanks for the feedback, I see that there would be confusion, and I did not explain well, and used the word regulation.

I have updated that section, hopefully it is clearer, unfortunately at the expense of more words!

There is also a downside the the Power G, in that it is not highly filtered, and some DC locos apparently have a little hum when operating.

Like I say on my opening page of FAQs, people want a simple answer and want to make a decision right away, but spending a little more time analyzing where you are headed will pay dividends in not making a decision you will regret.

Regards, Greg