Anyone know if this kind of switch exists as an outdoor version?

CoggesRailway

Registered
25 Oct 2009
Best answers
I use DC (which is only really for guest running now). I am about to fit points to connect two paralell loops. I am planning to have a section that can be switched to either loop to allow a cross, stop, proceed on other supply aproach to crossing for the occasional track powered visitor.

I know i could do this with a douple pole double throw switch. So far I have used foot operated out door light switches for isolation set in ballast. Would I be able to get a DPDT one? Is this what a "two way" one is at screwfix? Is there a lighting application for this if so I guess they will exist?

bobg

Registered
3 May 2010
Middle Earth
Best answers
Ian, I think you'll find that a two-way has only three contacts, to allow for two switches to operate the same light, so it isn't double pole.

CoggesRailway

Registered
25 Oct 2009
Best answers
Mmmm. Any one got any other ideas? Thanks Bob

bobg

Registered
3 May 2010
Middle Earth
Best answers
Best suggestion - check out Maplins see what they got.

Gizzy

A gentleman, a scholar, and a railway modeller....
26 Oct 2009
Cambridgeshire
www.gscalecentral.net
Best answers
Country flag
CoggesRailway said:
Mmmm. Any one got any other ideas? Thanks Bob

Have you had a look at the Screwfix website? I guess you are using switches designed for mains lighting. You could get a double 2 way switch and operate the switches together I suppose. Or fit a DPDT switch into a blanking plate....

CoggesRailway

Registered
25 Oct 2009
Best answers
Yes Gizz exactly what I was looking for but they describe them as 1 way 2 way which I don't really understand. Yes you can get split 2 switch types of what I want - how would that work? I need to make it impossible to have two transformers connected to a section at once. Sorry I am not to hot on electrickery...

beavercreek

Travel, Art, Theatre, Music, Photography, Trains
24 Oct 2009
Colchester, United Kingdom
www.facebook.com
Best answers
Country flag
Hi Ian
The one way/two way are just switches that can be used in both scenarios either as a single room light switch or as a 2 way hall light switch with three core and earth.

Gizzy

26 Oct 2009
Cambridgeshire
www.gscalecentral.net
Best answers
Country flag
CoggesRailway said:
Yes Gizz exactly what I was looking for but they describe them as 1 way 2 way which I don't really understand. Yes you can get split 2 switch types of what I want - how would that work? I need to make it impossible to have two transformers connected to a section at once. Sorry I am not to hot on electrickery...

From what I know about your line, you have double tracks and 2 controllers.

So as I see it, what you want to do is control either track from either controller. I think you will need 2 DPDT 3 Position Centre Off switches rated for at least 20 Amps and 30 Volts.

This is how I would wire it up:

5fad75b95aef42fc8cec8a6974b5a1d5.jpg

One switch selects the controller and the other one the track you want it to control.

I realise that your next question will be about connecting your planned crossover (with R5 points), so I will have to add to the above diagram to show you how I would connect those....

Gizzy

26 Oct 2009
Cambridgeshire
www.gscalecentral.net
Best answers
Country flag
I've just realised that the above will only allow one controller to operate either track at a time, so I will need to think again.

Or do you only have one controller Ian....

ntpntpntp

Registered
24 Oct 2009
UK
Country
United-Kingdom
Best answers
Country flag
I don't think there's any need to have the two switches in series as Gizzy has shown.

The normal "cab control" way of wiring would be to have 1x DPDT switch for each track section that needs to be switchable between the two controllers. The two common poles of the DPDT go to the track, the switched poles go to the output of each controller.

If you have two controllers on separate transformer secondary windings then you can do it with a common rail and
SPDT switches, but to be honest I always break both rails and use DPDT as you never know what controllers you might end up connecting (eg. DCC on one line, DC on the other).

Gizzy

26 Oct 2009
Cambridgeshire
www.gscalecentral.net
Best answers
Country flag
ntpntpntp said:
I don't think there's any need to have the two switches in series as Gizzy has shown.

The normal "cab control" way of wiring would be to have 1x DPDT switch for each track section that needs to be switchable between the two controllers. The two common poles of the DPDT go to the track, the switched poles go to the output of each controller.

If you have two controllers on separate transformer secondary windings then you can do it with a common rail and
SPDT switches, but to be honest I always break both rails and use DPDT as you never know what controllers you might end up connecting (eg. DCC on one line, DC on the other).
Yep, Nick is correct. Thanks mate! His prompt about cab control has enabled me to rethink my drawing and I've come up with this:

33696a240a3b47118718297c58cf783f.jpg

You need a DPDT switch for each section, so you could add another switch to control a section with a cross over.

nicebutdim

Registered
14 Dec 2009
Sunny Surrey (Ha)
Best answers
Country flag
If it a waterproof switch that you're after you could try making or buying a water tight container and then use a normal DPDT switch(es) and then use a waterproof toggle cover that seals the switch against the container. Like this http://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=t&rc...0LjNDQ&usg=AFQjCNFXYb8r6aYcoOq8HEjar8AhiscDxw < Link To http://www.google.co.uk/u...6aYcoOq8HEjar8AhiscDxw
I've had a good search through Google and am unable to find any form of DPDT light switch. The two way switch in screwfix is essentially a spdt switch.

ntpntpntp

Registered
24 Oct 2009
UK
Country
United-Kingdom
Best answers
Country flag
This was my attempt to illustrate the same sort of thing, but Gizzy's is nicer!!
b01cb6e6831e403d9876f94e76b24a68.jpg

ntpntpntp

Registered
24 Oct 2009
UK
Country
United-Kingdom
Best answers
Country flag

CoggesRailway

Registered
25 Oct 2009
Best answers
Thanks guys! Yes was hoping to find a waterproof dpdt thanks nice but dim. yep those diagrams will be helpful!

Gizzy

26 Oct 2009
Cambridgeshire
www.gscalecentral.net
Best answers
Country flag
ntpntpntp said:
This was my attempt to illustrate the same sort of thing, but Gizzy's is nicer!!
images

Nah, your diagram is much neater Nick....

beavercreek

24 Oct 2009
www.facebook.com
Best answers
Country flag

ntpntpntp

Registered
24 Oct 2009
UK
Country
United-Kingdom
Best answers
Country flag
That's the one I posted a linky to in post 15 Mike. Same thing is cheaper on ebay.

beavercreek

24 Oct 2009
www.facebook.com
Best answers
Country flag
ntpntpntp said:
That's the one I posted a linky to in post 15 Mike. Same thing is cheaper on ebay.

Whoops sorry Nick...should have opened your link........fools seldom differ eh?