Any one up for a Guessing Game? I got a new toy last Friday - any one know what it is?

dunnyrail

DOGS, Garden Railways, Steam Trains, Jive Dancing,
Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
St.Neots Cambridgeshire UK
Best answers
Country flag
I bought this little baby last Friday, has not been run on the Dunny Reichesbahn yet. I just got it a bit wet to shere some pictures with you.

BUT CAN ANYONE GUESS WHAT IT IS? 2 pictures to help you.

50e13625a77c449da50e9b4511b3a33b.jpg

1ace58e26a8643419b5ca38ef48ed392.jpg

whatlep

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Worcestershire
www.facebook.com
Best answers
dunnyrail said:
I bought this little baby last Friday, has not been run on the Dunny Reichesbahn yet. I just got it a bit wet to shere some pictures with you.

It's a steam engine. :rofl:

Is it one of the unpowered window display models supplied by LGB to promote the forthcoming release of the Harz 2-10-2 in 1999? :thinking:

dunnyrail

Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
Best answers
Country flag
silverflyer said:
The detail looks terrific, is it Aster/LGB?

Go straight to the top of the class, I was hoping for a few wrong answers.

I got it last Friday from GRS. When I walked into the shop I thought that it was probably an LGB 24812 judging by the price (though it did seam a bit steep even by GRS standards). I knew it was not a 21812 as I have one of them and the number is 99-7222-5. Then I looked at the Coupling Rods - Metal. Then gently tapped the side - Metal. Then the penny dropped and I just had to have it.

She has a Massoth Sound Chip in for the correct loco and sounds superb. I am looking forward to some good weather so that I can get it to stretch its feet and show it off with my LGB/LGB one and the LGB Selktbahn 2-6-2t.
JonD

dunnyrail

Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
Best answers
Country flag
whatlep said:
dunnyrail said:

Is it one of the unpowered window display models supplied by LGB to promote the forthcoming release of the Harz 2-10-2 in 1999? :thinking:

Oh I did get a wrong answer with a correct bit in it!

whatlep

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Worcestershire
www.facebook.com
Best answers
dunnyrail said:
whatlep said:
dunnyrail said:

Oh I did get a wrong answer with a correct bit in it!
Always glad to oblige! Congrats on finding an Aster. Only ever seen one in the flesh and that was several years back at Arcadia. It hung around Tim's shelves for quite some while!

PaulRhB

This Way Up
24 Oct 2009
Wilts Drifting toward the RhB,plate tectonics rock
Best answers
Country flag
Lucky lad! It will be interesting to see if she runs identically to 7222. Is it any longer than the standard LGB? one as I know that is a compromise in length between 7222 and the production batch.
I'd love another of the standard ones 34 or 45 but £1500-1700 just seems a bit OTT.

pugwash

impecunious pirate
Staff member
GSC Moderator
17 Nov 2009
Luxembourg
Best answers
Country flag
I don't think I would call it a toy :D
It's an impressive model so standing next to a real one must be a 'wow' experience. Does anyone know if there are any preserved, preferably running and not pickled in a jar? :rofl:

Philbahn

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Swinton Manchester
Best answers
Country flag
pugwash said:
It's an impressive model so standing next to a real one must be a 'wow' experience. Does anyone know if there are any preserved, preferably running and not pickled in a jar? :rofl:

Try the Hartz. U Tube this one
[h1]Hartz Mountain Railway (HSB) 2-10-2 Engine working hard[/h1]

Philbahn

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Swinton Manchester
Best answers
Country flag
Philbahn said:
pugwash said:

Try the Hartz. U Tube this one
[h1]Hartz Mountain Railway (HSB) 2-10-2 Engine working hard[/h1] http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mXVa...rl]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O8n8taCwjZQ

stockers

Trains, aircraft, models, walking, beer, travel
24 Oct 2009
Nr. Ashford, Kent. England.
Best answers
Country flag
Just afew Pugwash - I think the Harz has 16, not all runners of course.
I'll bet thats a heavy model - the plastic one weighs in fairly heavy. Lovely - lucky you:D

mike

Master at annoying..
Staff member
GSC Moderator
24 Oct 2009
Rossendale
www.gscalecentral.net
Best answers
Country flag
stunning!!:love:

dunnyrail

Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
Best answers
Country flag
PaulRhB said:
Lucky lad! It will be interesting to see if she runs identically to 7222. Is it any longer than the standard LGB? one as I know that is a compromise in length between 7222 and the production batch.
I'd love another of the standard ones 34 or 45 but £1500-1700 just seems a bit OTT.

I also have a production 7222 LGB Ref 21812. Both that and the Aster are exactly the same length. I have just checked this. I would say the weight is around the same as the 7222 that I have.

Questions:-
Does this mean that LGB were at their scale games again?
Are the 34 and 45 versions longer than 7222 and the Aster one then?

The demo run in the shop admittedly short, the beastie ran perfectly, I would say at least as good if not better than the 21812. I can live with a bit of scale monkeying around and having traveled to the Harz to phot, travel and just watch these beasts the 2 that I have look just right to my eye. That is I believe what matters most.

Yes I AM LUCKY, but I had decided to treat my self after a long 2 years with my Dad in a care home.
JonD

dunnyrail

Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
Best answers
Country flag
I have been contributing to this link on the Forum. And yes there are a fair few running REAL trains storming up the Broken Mountain. This will link you to our thread of loco's on the Harz.

http://www.gscalecentral.net/tm?m=44930&high= < Link To http://www.gscalecentral...?m=44930&high=

A fair few pictures and some more to come.
JonD

PaulRhB

This Way Up
24 Oct 2009
Best answers
Country flag
Jon
Yes there was a little compromise on the scale length and if I remember correctly the LGB 7222 is a fraction too long and the 723x and 724x are a fraction too short. The main thing, as you say, is that they look right and the detail differences of the protoype are there too. You would certainly need a ruler and drawings to notice the difference. I was curious whether the Aster one might be different and as it's the same I suspect the basic frame design was used for all three versions. Thanks for the info.
It's a lot better than anything I would have built from scratch that's for sure.
Cheers Paul

PaulRhB

This Way Up
24 Oct 2009
Best answers
Country flag
Here we go I found it in the link to Gartenbahn Profi that someone posted ages ago and fortunately I saved the document.
"newer engines measure 12555mm over buffers, 7222 only 11636mm
1:22.5 this would mean 555.56mm 517.16mm
The LGB model of the 7222 was built to 550mm - almost as long as of the newer engines."

Bram

Playing trains, Ballroom Dancing, Good Food & Wine
24 Oct 2009
Knowle
Best answers
Country flag
It looks a big beastie, you could give yourself a hernia trying to pick it up

dunnyrail

Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
Best answers
Country flag
Try lifting both of them at the same time, one in each hand. Good for weight lifting. OR does any one know the way to OLDHAM?
JOND