Country flag
yes Phil it is still real cold out side and lots of rain

Paul M

Registered
25 Oct 2016
Royston
Best answers
Country flag
There must be a local group you can join. I know there are a couple of 16mm Association groups local to you, bit you didn't seem keen last time it was discussed

Choppercook

Registered
29 May 2019
Norfolk
Best answers
Country flag
yes a local 16mm Association groups in Bressingham close to me but all live steam and no G scale, I am running all battery locos

PhilP

G Scale, 7/8th's, Electronics
5 Jun 2013
Nottingham
Best answers
Country flag
Most of the 16mm groups:
You will not find many with 45mm gauge tracks..

No one in the East Midlands group, has 45mm track..
There is 45mn track at the Butterley BGRS, and I think there is a discrete 45mm group upstairs(?) somewhere on the main site..

It is worth having a 32mm model (or something gauge adjustable) as it does allow you to join in with them.
They are usually quite accommodating, and you would probably be invited to have a go with a live-steamer? - That can lead to spending a lot of money. ;)

PhilP

Choppercook

Registered
29 May 2019
Norfolk
Best answers
Country flag
I think I understand ?

Choppercook

Registered
29 May 2019
Norfolk
Best answers
Country flag
Phil , do G scale members ever use toy battery trains ? they are real cheep and run well with sound and smoke

Attachments

• s-l1600 (6).jpg
    s-l1600 (6).jpg
    131.4 KB · Views: 0
  • s-l1600 (2).jpg
    s-l1600 (2).jpg
    120.6 KB · Views: 0

voodoopenguin

Retired
20 Jul 2015
Blofield, Norfolk
Country
Norfolk-Island
Best answers
Country flag
Phil , do G scale members ever use toy battery trains ? they are real cheep and run well with sound and smoke
I am certainly not averse to playing with those cheap sets and have a few myself including a knock off Disney one.

Paul

PhilP

G Scale, 7/8th's, Electronics
5 Jun 2013
Nottingham
Best answers
Country flag
Yes, people do use them..
Tend to be a bit 'American' and the mechanisms are not as robust..

They have gone up in price, quite markedly.
Many are now quite old, and may have had a hard life?

PhilP

Paul M

Registered
25 Oct 2016
Royston
Best answers
Country flag
There's a few inmy group who have 45mm track at home, but use 32mm out and about. Most live steamers tend to be gauge adjustable, so we able to run on either. Obviously battery powered locos are also used, diesel and steam outline. I'll be very surprised if you're "shown the door" as it were at a group get together if you say you use 45mm track. Brambleton have an open day soon, I know it's a trek, but if you can pop down and have a look

dunnyrail

DOGS, Garden Railways, Steam Trains, Jive Dancing,
Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
St.Neots Cambridgeshire UK
Best answers
Country flag
Ridgmont group of 16mm’ers have a 45mm gauge test track but they are now neaar Dunstable so again a bit of a trek for Choppercook Choppercook .

I had one of those cheepo USA type battery locomotives when I was still living in Luton where Irish Narrow Gauge was my thing. I was going to convert mine to one of the Tralee and Dingle Kerr Stewart Locomotives that were smaller than the Hunslets plus they had simple valve gear. One was transferred to the Cavan. A simple new body in plasticard job but the batteries would have to have been moved to the side tanks, again not a tricky job. I was always on the lookout for a 4-4-0 USA type to convert to a Cavan lookalike. But I ended up going German Narrow Gauge in the end.

Choppercook

Registered
29 May 2019
Norfolk
Best answers
Country flag
this cheep lock works well and look good , it only have one speed but good with chuffing , bell and whistle sound good smoke. front light , all round good 2-6-0 Loco