Another Remote Control: Loco Remote

Michael

Registered
26 Jan 2010
Best answers
Country flag
Not sure it it has been mentioned before but here is another wireless remote control system for the small loco.

Loco Remote Wifi control for Garden Railways

It uses the same processor board that I use (ESP8266 based). Nice to see enterprise at work and like my own sends the battery voltage to the remote.

20060107s.jpg

Obviously the weak link is the mobile phone remote but it won't be long before someone comes out with a similar system but with a proper remote with a knob for speed control.

dunnyrail

DOGS, Garden Railways, Steam Trains, Jive Dancing,
Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
St.Neots Cambridgeshire UK
Best answers
Country flag
Not sure it it has been mentioned before but here is another wireless remote control system for the small loco.

Loco Remote Wifi control for Garden Railways

It uses the same processor board that I use (ESP8266 based). Nice to see enterprise at work and like my own sends the battery voltage to the remote.

View attachment 268255

Obviously the weak link is the mobile phone remote but it won't be long before someone comes out with a similar system but with a proper remote with a knob for speed control.
I think it may be pretty adequate for just 1 small loco say a Stainz of Feldbahn not trying massive feats of strength haulage wise and inly 1 loco at a time. Probably fine in fact for the starter but accepting that one may need to upgrade later. I could aee it working for a modest (but perfectly formed) layout perhaps like Henri’s.

Michael

Registered
26 Jan 2010
Best answers
Country flag
Thanks for the replies Greg and Jon.

Looks like its maximum battery voltage is 15 volts and is designed to run on 3 Lithium cells or 10 Ni-Mh cells so similar to the Deltang low to mid range of receivers. Their compatablity page lists over 100 odd locos from suppliers like PDF modules, IP Engineering, Bowater Models, North Pilton Works etc. and thats with LGB as 1 loco. Their Facebook page (166 people likes and 194 followers) shows how popular it is. They also have it working with an Accucraft Baguley Diesel, which has a heavy metal chassis.

Their latest video on Facebook shows one phone controlling 4 locos and an experiment to provide 4 basic sounds without an additional sound card.

Anyway, I'm just pointing out another alternative for UK users with small to medium locos, I have no connection with them .

GAP

G Scale Trains, HO Trains, 1:1 Sugar Cane trains
14 Jun 2011
Bundaberg Queensland, Australia
Country
Australia
ringbalin-light-railway.blogspot.com
Best answers
Country flag
I would find this interesting in my situation (my layout too is a modest sized one not a huge "mainline" one) as the majority of my locos are powered by 12V or below (10.8V) and I only run short trains, so not a great deal of power is required.
The "Loco Remote Mega 2 at 6-12V 2x2A maximum motor current" seems to indicate that larger locos with higher power requirements may be able to be accommodated.
I can see its physical size ( 26mm wide, 43mm long, 21mm high ) making it attractive for small loco users and replacing big transmitters for a small smart phone/tablet that can as claimed ("control as many locos as you like from one phone ") would be another attraction.
This is obviously aimed at a niche market that will not suit everyone, but if it does not suit an individuals personal situation then there are other systems out there to use.
It may be worth some further research on my part in the future.

Last edited:
8 Mar 2014
San Diego
Country
Armenia
www.elmassian.com
Best answers
Country flag
15 volts is probably enough for moderate/prototypical speeds even on most 24v motors.

2x2A implies 2 separate 2 amp outputs, not 2 x 2 amps, OR 1 by 4 amps... would help to have explicit language indicating if outputs can be paralleled.

All the phone apps control more than one loco that I have seen, DCC or other. Easy since they are running wifi in almost all cases, not being argumentative but not a distinctive feature.

Greg